The Budget 2014

Lisa O`Brien

Can't think what's wrong with the pound coin we already have.

(Not a political comment, by the way) ;)

Too easy to forge, apparently.

Can't think why people would bother, when it's probably easier to forge the paper money, but whatever works. Apparently something with 12 sides and different metals will be more challenging than the current pound coin.

• Like 1

Every time we get a new note or coin I always say to myself i`m going to keep one of them, put it away somewhere special and never use it,while it is all pristine and lovely. I always end up using it though. No willpower.!

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone has thought about the cost to business, all those slot machines will have to be changed to accommodate it, will supermarket trollys be out of commission during the changeover?

• Like 1

It was mentioned on Breakfast News. It will cost business a heck of a lot! The 10p (not that I had noticed) changed weight due to using a lighter alloy (I think) sometime in 2012. The pay loos by the beach (30p in ten pence pieces only) will only acknowledge the heavier pre-2012 coins! I keep a supply in the car just in case. What does anyone who doesn't know do? There are no shops nearby either!!

• Like 2

Not sure if anyone has thought about the cost to business, all those slot machines will have to be changed to accommodate it, will supermarket trollys be out of commission during the changeover?

Do you have to pay to use supermarket trolleys/carts?  Hoping I'm understanding correctly - these are the trolleys/carts you push up and down the aisles and into which you put your food items......

I've never heard of a store which charges for that.  The store is only too  happy for the costumer to fill them up.   

Do you have to pay to use supermarket trolleys/carts?  Hoping I'm understanding correctly - these are the trolleys/carts you push up and down the aisles and into which you put your food items......

I've never heard of a store which charges for that.  The store is only too  happy for the costumer to fill them up.   

With most supermarkets there's a £1/€1 refundable deposit.

The new 5 and 10p's have caused us a real headache at work.  We have a car park machine which only accepts the correct money and wouldn't accept the new coins.  People were having to come in and get change for the machine quickly as the ticket man was very hot on giving tickets.  To get it re-calibrated was going to cost over £300 which my employers weren't prepared at that time to pay out for.  In the end the coin op part broke and they had to fit a new one.

After the news said 1 in 50 £1 coins are counterfeit I checked all 60 in my tills and they all look real to me!!

After the news said 1 in 50 £1 coins are counterfeit I checked all 60 in my tills and they all look real to me!!

I'm involved in a charity collection and it's amazing how many fake £1 coins come through (some good replicas, some atrocious).  We have a list of the distinguishing features for each series of £1 coin to check against.

When they changed the 50p piece many years ago, there was a long backlog before all machines could be updated.  One of the halls I taught at then had an electricity meter that took 50p pieces.  I used to have to go to the bank to get bags of the old 50p coins.  Although the coins were no longer legal tender, the bank was very accommodating and kept supplies for people in that situation.  It lasted months!

I hope we shall have the alternative of contactless payment  by the time this coin is introduced.

In my lifetime we have had so many changes to our currency first the farthing was abolished, then the 1/2d, then we decimalized on the pound rather than 10/- unlike Australia, NZ, South Africa and many other countries which meant that we got rid of the 3d, 6d,and  half crown. The decimal coinage has changed so many times in the last 40 years with the end of the 1/2p, the new 10p, 5p and 50p. Contrast that flux with the constancy if the USA which has kept the penny, nickel, dime, quarter and a paper dollar throughout that period.

In reply to Anjuli_Bai we pay for a lot of things that are included in the price in the USA such as theatre programmes. Most theatres charge about £5 (US$8.25) for a programme in addition to the price of the seat. Many theatres also charge at least £1.50 on top of the seat prince for taking a credit card booking over the phone or internet.  In general the cost of living is higher than in the USA and incomes are lower but we do have good healthcare that is free at the point of delivery, good theatre (particularly in London) and cricket which is why I still live here.

Now the budget itself. Speaking personally I am rather rather glad personal allowance has gone up; I like the new ISAs and I am delighted not to be forced to buy an annuity. I am not going to say whether that is a good or a bad thing for the reasons bangorballetboy gave but it suits me,

Edited by terpsichore