Elmhurst Senior summer school 2014

Sorry bad phrasing. Our application was a bit later going in as when I saw post on here and realised it was a summer school that DD could do date wise, she was on a school trip in France so had to wait for her return to do photos!

She was thrilled when I told her. She I soften a no or waiting list Swanprincess so do keep trying. Others we were going to try were Central, Bird or laine Theatre Arts who do accomadation and a dance orientated course.

Now we are just fingers crossed for Pre Seniors at Central for next years associates. Going to an audition at The place next week as a possible alternative.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Autumn days

They have just had auditions for senior school, miracle, so they may take priority!!

Fingers crossed for a good result!

My DD did the Junior SS at Elmhurst last year so happy to provide some feedback.

DD was 11 at the time and found the classes enjoyable but very easy. The children were grouped according to age not ability which she found frustrating and the show they did for parents on the lady day was disappointing.

They split the DC's into groups and only a couple actually did ballet, the rest did very questionable Contemporary, jazz, national and character work all based on Copeilia. The Contemporary and the jazz groups looked the same to me.

They stayed 2 nights but only really had one and a half days classes and then the parents show, I didn't think it good value for money. This year the price has gone up for the same amount of time, not worth it in our opinion so DD not applying this year. Sorry to be negative but I believe a different view is useful. DD did enjoy being at Elmhurst though and did quite enjoy the classes (few though there were!) and is looking forward to apying for the senior SS next year.

• Like 1

I didn't notice that the price went up. Thank you for telling us Loulabelle... I have to agree with Loulabelle about the show, especially since I was able to compare with the end show for the Senior SS... But for a first SS, 3 days was good. dD was hoping it would be longer this year though!

Edited by afab
  • Like 1

My ds thoroughly enjoyed the senior summer school last year ! He was taught by brb dancers and the AD. The "sharing of work" at the end was very well put together and the standard was very high ! He is going again this year ! Dd is 13 so too young to do the senior one ! I believe you have to be in year 9 and 14 years of age to apply ! I don't feel that she would get much out of the junior one as it would not be much different from her normal class but a lot if fun I bet ! Last year was the first year they have had a junior ss so I feel it's a bit if a work in progress !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dancer2027

Picturesinthefirelight, i emailed in to the registrar before applying asking if it was still worth applying late. She said yes places are still available or might become available.

2 weeks later I got an offer for seniors summer school, defo worth applying for and did it 2 years back, fantastic experience! :)

I was never formally put on the waiting list, or wasn't told about it, but the email came through asking for a deposit the day after. I assumed it was a standard email sent to people a while back when offers were first made, and they weren't going to withdraw the offer after a day! Anyway got the cheque sent off quickly and looking forward to a great week :)

Xx

It's a yes for Dd for SS 11-13 yr old course! Very happy for her. This must be our 'something good around the next corner' that people talk about on this forum. I've been hoping it was true

Hi Piccolo. It's a yes for DD too! Great to know there will be a friendly face there with her :D. Any news on MAs?

I took Dd's pics in the local dance studio. She had bare legs and bare feet. It did the trick! I think a hard floor would probably show off the arch of the foot better (although what do I know?!). Good luck!

• Like 1

First year i sent them all on one word document! Dd still got a place so i think getting the right position is more important than the setting and where theyw have been taken.

You can print in colour at somewhere like a supermarket that does photos - they've usually got machines that you just plug your card into. I may have missed you saying so, but do I presume you can't use your dance studio and help of teacher?

• Like 1