Dance notation

taxi4ballet

Hi all, I wonder if I could pick the brains of all you lovely knowledgeable people out there...

I've just found a book about dance notation at a jumble sale this morning (50p - bargain!) and it has two sections., Benesh notation and Labanotation. They look entirely different, and I was wondering whether one is used more for ballet and the other for contemporary/other styles of dance?

Is either method taught at upper schools and which would be better for a teenage dancer to learn, or is it perhaps a good idea to study both?

Guest chinafish

Benesh is used by some ballet companies, but it also has other uses: https://www.rad.org.uk/study/Benesh/benesh-for-clinicians

Labanotation was devised by Rudolf Laban, I have seen scores of Labanotation of contemporary works, but also for ballet (one for the Cygnets dance in Swan Lake, in fact!).

I personally find Benesh easier to read than Laban because it is a bit pictorial. However I also know people who much prefer Labanotation.

(I studied the BA Ballet Education at RAD and both methods are taught)

Fish

My son did Benesh at Elmhurst (funnily enough, I'm doing some sorting out today and I've just found his certificate). He hated every minute of it, but then he was like that about anything that didn't involve actually dancing :-D

• Like 4

Guest chinafish

I suppose so.

But then nearly everything the RB does is notated in Benesh, even the more contemporary works like McGregor's.

Guest chinafish

And I don't know how many contemporary companies use Benesh. It's perfectly possible to notate contemporary in Benesh as well.