ROH public booking period 4 - experiences?

Alison: Don't know it it'll help but the ROH tweeted as follows earlier today:

"If you're booking today please ensure cache is cleared,cookies enabled and only 1 browser window is open.This should help minimise issues."

I understand it's the last day on their current system ...... and that all will be better fro tomorrow!

Well, I spent about 10 minutes trying to get into the telephone queue and made it in at #41. Was all done and dusted within 30 minutes of joining the queue.

I joined the waiting room at #1721 and made it to the booking system after about 90 minutes (and after I'd got through on the telephone). I was able to get better seats for the two Titian performances I booked on priority day and additional tickets day, which is rather annoying. Also means I have some reasonably good Titian tickets to get rid of.

Trouble is, I can't tie my work phone up for hours trying to get through. If you can get through the Internet system in 90 minutes after going through the phone queue, and it takes me twice as long, doesn't it just mean the whole system is totally random? :(

Over 3 hours wait and then very little availability of affordable seats for the dates I could go so crossing my fingers that something will turn up nearer the time sad.png

Me too, Gail. Nothing within my price range for either the Titian or Pagodas :(. BBB, presumably your idea of "reasonably good" Titian tickets means they're out of my price range? :)

I never seem to have dropped below 1,000 in the queue so I have decided to give up and try again later, or tomorrow. I only want one ticket but I want it for what seems to be one and only matinee this booking period. My choice has been severely limited as I wish to avoid the expense of an overnight stay so it's the matinee or nothing! I am still living in hopes. I am pleased to see there are more matinees next season

I understand it's the last day on their current system ...... and that all will be better fro tomorrow!

I understand from what they're saying that it's the last "big" booking day on the old system, but not that the new one will be introduced tomorrow.

• Like 1

I'm totally skint so have escaped the booking madness this time round! :-)

Going to be VERY interesting to see what improvements they make and what effect they have on the booking system....

Good luck if you're still waiting, folks!

John, can't you get all the tickets you want during the Friends booking period? Or does the ROH only release a certain number of tickets to Friends?

You must be joking!! The allocation for ordinary Friends is not great and one's only allowed two tickets per production (not per show). I have usually found it much easier to get tickets on the first day of normal booking - that is when I've remembered!

You must be joking!! The allocation for ordinary Friends is not great and one's only allowed two tickets per production (not per show). I have usually found it much easier to get tickets on the first day of normal booking - that is when I've remembered!

I don't think that's right, John. Isn't it 6 tickets per ballet production and 4 per opera (unless there's a specific restriction like for Titian, which applied to Friends at all levels)?

I finally got out of the waiting room just before midnight last night. Fearing that the site (or me) might turn into a pumpkin at 12 o'clock, I booked a much more expensive seat than I intended as I didn't want to mess around and be thrown out, or start again today when it may not be any better

You're right - I should read the small print! There is a second, later, booking day for 'extra tickets' at which presumably one can top up to the maximum of 6. I've never bothered to try as all the good inexpensive seats have gone by then.

For most ballet productions you are allowed 6 tickets during Friends' priority booking (and more on 'extra ticket day'). Maybe the number 3 is in your mind as, if you're booking for 2 people, you'd only be able to book for 3 performances.

edit to fix punctuation

Edited by Bluebird

I logged in yesterday about 10am. and managed to get in the buying tickets area at 11.30am. Finally managed to buy at 3.30pm; a mere 4 hours wait! But, once I did get through I found the system fast and with no glitches. However, I was taken aback by the layout of the auditorium when trying to purchase. I haven't purchased for about a year and then the auditorium was complete but sold seats 'greyed out'. I found this new system where the bought seats were removed, totally weird as the auditorium looked completely different and I couldn't relate the available seats to their actual location. It was like trying to identify a jigsaw puzzle with half the pieces missing! I had to search for a seating plan (panicking because I thought I was going to be timed out before I could purchase) and then go between available seats and the seating plan to find the exact location to what I wanted to purchase. I hope this aspect is changed in the new upgrade. However, on the plus side I did manage to get 2 good seats for the first night of Pagodas and a really good seat for Sylphide on the evening of 26th May and a (hopefully) not too bad seat for the matinee on the same day.

I logged in yesterday about 10am. and managed to get in the buying tickets area at 11.30am.

Huh? I logged in about 20 minutes before you and didn't get in until about 12.45! Totally random - or do you include the waiting-room in the "buying tickets area"?

However, I was taken aback by the layout of the auditorium when trying to purchase. I haven't purchased for about a year and then the auditorium was complete but sold seats 'greyed out'. I found this new system where the bought seats were removed, totally weird as the auditorium looked completely different and I couldn't relate the available seats to their actual location.

I do know what you mean, although it depends on your computer, I think. On my laptop I can barely see the bought seats at all, which as you say is really disconcerting, but on my PC they are clearly there, but greyed out. I don't know what settings I need to change to make them more visible on the laptop, unless I've got the brightness up too high. Edit: no, changing the brightness makes no difference. Maybe it's the contrast.

On a more positive note, I tried logging in this morning and got straight in. Ended up wishing I hadn't messed around late last evening. Is what we have now the new website? Does anyone know for certain?

It hasn't changed yet. The ROH online spokesperson posted this yesterday:

Ellen West responded on 10 April 2012 at 4:44pm

......we are in the final stages of testing and will be launching in the near future. We can’t share a date with you yet, but we’re very much looking forward to presenting the new website.

Here's the link to the page:

http://www.roh.org.u...the-old-website

edited to provide link

Edited by Bluebird

It hasn't changed yet. The ROH online spokesperson posted this yesterday:

Ellen West responded on 10 April 2012 at 4:44pm

......we are in the final stages of testing and will be launching in the near future. We can’t share a date with you yet, but we’re very much looking forward to presenting the new website.

Here's the link to the page:

http://www.roh.org.u...the-old-website

edited to provide link

Thanks Bluebird. The site certainly looked the same!