Tring Easter Course 2014

Happymum

My DD is going to Tring Easter course for the first time this year. Are other DC going? My DD is 10 and she doesn't know anybody there but isn't too worried about it. We were both very happy to find out yesterday that they decided not to do any tap lessons this year (sorry if somebody else was looking forward to it...) as my DD never tried tap before. Her first ever jazz shoes arrived yesterday, until now she used to do her modern class barefoot. My DD is very excited, she's already writing a list of things to

pack.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes my dd is going, she is only 8 but it also boarding, cause Mary knows her through classical ballet, thought she would be ok , I'm very worried and nervous, but she is not bothered at all and she is looking forwArd to watching the whizz and the talent show!

My older DD did the course when she was 9 I think and found the boarding hard (but then she still does at 15!) My little DD is doing the course this time (12).  She did it when she was 10 and found the tap hard.  She's at vocational school now and enjoying tap so she'll be disappointed not to do it this time!

My dd is also doing the course and she is 11. This will be her 3rd year and the second time she has boarded. The pastoral care is excellent and the kids are kept so busy all week they hardly have time to be homesick. My dd loves tap and is disappointed there won't be an opportunity to do it. I am sure all your dc will have a great week.

• Like 1

My older DD did the course when she was 9 I think and found the boarding hard (but then she still does at 15!) My little DD is doing the course this time (12).  She did it when she was 10 and found the tap hard.  She's at vocational school now and enjoying tap so she'll be disappointed not to do it this time!

DD will be very pleased - see you there  :)

• Like 1

Yes my dd is going, she is only 8 but it also boarding, cause Mary knows her through classical ballet, thought she would be ok , I'm

very worried and nervous, but she is not

bothered at all and she is looking forwArd to

watching the whizz and the talent show!

I also was worried when my DD went away for the first time last summer. She was the youngest child boarding, didn't know anybody etc but she had a fantastic time so this time I'm not worried at all!

Great to hear about others positive experience. I'm sure your DD will be well looked after and have fun!

My DD is excited about coming back from the show at midnight :-)

My dd will hopefully be helping out with the course this easter. She attended last year and now is in lower sixth. Its a great week...they will love it i am sure! Pm your dc names so i can get her to say a special hello welcome!

My 9-year-old DD will be going too and she doesn't know anyone either although she's not that worried as she seems to make friends quite quickly at ballet things. Her main concern is having to do her own 'neat' bun. My main concern is that she won't want to leave on the Friday!

• Like 1

Her main concern is having to do her own 'neat' bun.

My dd's first experience of a residential course was at Tring, and she came away having learned to do her own bun beautifully! There are staff on hand to assist, and the girls all help each other and practice in the dorms :)

• Like 3

I'm considering this for dd next Easter so would love to hear what your dc think of it this time round! Please keep me posted with their reviews! I decided against it this year as I thought that with making it through to the funding finals for full time school there and then falling at the last hurdle by not being offered a place, it may be a bit too bitter sweet to send her off at Easter giving her a taster of what could have been! Although that said she has auditioned for NYB and if she makes it through the final will be staying at Tring for their rehearsals during the summer anyway!  

• 3 weeks later...

My DD's bag is nearly completely packed :-) She is very excited!

Are your DC taking part in the talent show? From previous years - do the majority of children take part? My DD would like to but the only dance she has is about 1min 15sec long and they ask for it not to be longer then a minute. But I think it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm really looking forward to meet other balletcoers :-) Are there any ballet RAD grade 5 going? My DD is 10 but I understand that they will be grouped by ballet grade rather then age.

My dd has done the talent show the last couple of years with a friend. It is really just a bit of fun with sixth formers judging and Easter eggs as prizes. They love it. I know there isn't any tap this year but I wondered if anyone was bringing character skirts and shoes? It doesn't mention them in the letter but we brought them last year. My dd doesn't do character so it would mean borrowing some at the last minute!

I don't think they need character skirts and shoes. In the email they asked for ballet and jazz shoes only. So we are not taking character.

Edited to add - Danceroo did your DD needed character last year?

Edited by Happymum

We've just been having the character/not discussion and have decided to leave her character stuff in her ballet bag on the off-chance that it suddenly becomes essential!

DD is soooo excited it's untrue-Monday before 5pm is going to be hard work. She's got a song extract up her sleeve for the talent show in case she wants to take part-we had to persuade her against taking her trumpet.

Her only concern now is that, "everyone else might have One Direction duvet covers and I don't even know the names of them all!" Hopefully there'll be at least one other 9-yr-old who is as uncool as mine....

DD has been for the last two years and she has needed her character shoes every time. Very pleased there is no tap this year as DD doesn't do it in her local school and we have to buy shoes just for this week! :)

TIP - We always take a second blanket to tuck underneath the sheet as the beds are a bit unforgiving and a double duvet as the single ones always slip off!!  

it is a wonderful week for the girls though and the teaching is fantastic!  Warning though they will come back totally shattered and won't speak to you for at least 24 hours! After that it is chatter non stop about how amazing the week was.  :)

• Like 3

Dd doing it too, she's 13 and this will give her a taster of life to come from September so it'll be a good experience for her and a nice peaceful week for me :-) we weren't planning on taking character shoes or skirt as it didn't mention it in the letter but now I'm wondering if we should ...uummm!!

Hi Happymum- yes DD did use character skirt and shoes last year. I have borrowed some from a friend just in case but there are always plenty of girls who don't have them there. Good idea about the extra blanket though. DD came home with a stinking cold last year. She too is very excited.

I'm finally back home (road closures etc) after dropping DD off at Tring. I already got a text message full of info about treasure hunt sweets and pizza and lemon cake and new friends! Looks like my DD is very happy and is going to have a great time! Her room is on the top floor in the main building - she is sharing it with 6 other lovely girls. hope everybody else's DC have settled well.

Edited by Happymum

DD has been delivered, was thrilled to be in the long queue next to someone who has been on lots of residentials and will be going to Tring full-time in September and is delighted with her lanyard and timetable!

She's looking forward to the dancing tomorrow having been a bit disappointed to discover that, in a dorm of 5, she's the only one who hasn't come as part of a pair. It would seem as though she's not the only one in that position though as a 10-yr-old from the dorm opposite is the only one who came alone too! It strikes me as an odd way to allocate dorms. DD and the 10-yr-old have apparently paired up so hopefully neither of them will feel too left out of their own dorms.