Olivier awards nominations

The Olivier awards nominations are here

http://www.olivierawards.com/news/view/item222452/hit-musicals-lead-olivier-nominations/

The dance nominations (you will need to scroll a long way down) are as follows - an eclectic bunch.

Best New Dance Production

Compagnie 111 Aurélien Bory/Stéphanie Fuster for What’s Become Of You? (Questcequetudeviens?) at the Barbican Theatre   
Eastman - Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui & Sadler’s Wells for Puz/zle at Sadler’s Wells    
Richard Alston Dance Company/Britten Sinfonia for Barbican Britten: Phaedra at the Barbican Theatre

Outstanding Achievement in Dance

Arthur Pita for his choreography of Ballet Black - A Dream Within A Midsummer Night’s Dream at the Linbury Studio Theatre, Royal Opera House    
Clemmie Sveaas for her performance in Witch-Hunt at the Linbury Studio Theatre, Royal Opera House 
The Mark Morris season at Sadler’s Wells  
Michael Hulls for his body of lighting work including Ballet Boyz – The Talent at Sadler’s Wells

Edited by Lynette H

I believe that I saw Compagnie III at the South Bank as part of the London International Mime Festival about eight years ago and liked it very much. By tilting various sections of the stage the distinction between standing up and lying down became fascinatingly blurred in their dance acrobatic performance. It may have incarnated several times since. Is this the same company? I certainly look forward to seeing them again.

It is simply hugely satisfying to see Clemmie Sveaas nominated for her role as Anna Goeldi in Cathy Marston's Witch Hunt last year - and just one reminder of 'why' from Dave Morgan's Gallery:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8536/8779396249_7b623b13ab_z.jpg

She was, of course, the central character but, in truth, any award should go to the quintet of magnificent women who quickened that sad story of the last witch executed in Europe - Clemmie, Paula Alonso as young Anna-Miggeli, Martina Langmann's cold but tragic mother, Frau Tchudi, actress Mona Kloos as the 'older' Anna-Miggeli ... and, of course, Cathy herself, who created it all.  I've said it before here, but it remains for me a superb piece of dance theatre.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...