Russian Pointe shoes

Sheila Beelam

Ooh Sheila - my dd will love you forever! Bought a pair in USA - since then we have tried to but replacements at every opportunity to include arranging for russian pointe to send a number of pairs to grandparents hotels whilst they were on holiday - dread to think what customs would have said when 2 60+ went through with 2 pairs of pointe shoes each!!!

She has worn grishkos (ok) and Bloch (didn't like at all) but has now had Russians for last 3 years. The model number is AD (width 4 vamp 2 FM shank) if that tells you what sort of foot she has!!!????? The only thing I can add is they look beautiful on stage and are a lovely colour - probably not the deciding factor when buying though!!

She is starting full-time training in sept and was going to have to switch brands as we couldn't get them in any volume. I will watch this thread with interest :)

• Like 4

My DD wore these shoes for her first couple of years en pointe after her first 6 months in Grishko proflex.They really seemed to suit her feet at the time( narrow high arch hyper mobile but weak).I think she wore the Entrada with flex sole .They looked very pretty on with a tapered box. There are a large variety of styles and sizes of vamp shank width U or V cut with or without drawstrings.They are a very pale pink satin.My DD found them more durable than Freed and similar to Grishko.

• Like 2

Thanks chaps, I tried all styles on and the Rubin suited my feet best, (even toes, high arch, strong but big feet ;))

We were recommended 4 basic styles to stock to cater for different feet , apologies celb I can't be sure but I think Entrada Pro was one of them! The literature is on our stand at Move it and I'm holed up in hotel, but I'll look tomorrow.

What style did you DD have taxiforballet? I think I remember you had the box with no pleats and I guess that's the Rubin? Lots to learn about these shoes :)

Guest chinafish

Oh. My. God. Please please stock them. I stopped wearing them because they are too expensive to get from America. They worked out to around £80-100 when I order direct from Chicago and it's the shipping and customs that kills it.

The lumina is my favourite. I did have the Rubins as well. They were sturdy shoes that lasted longer than my freeds and fitted really well. They have half sizes, 5 widths and vamp choices which I think contributed to help me find my perfect shoe.

I've turned to wearing Gaynor only because they are comparable in price but obviously Gaynor's last longer. But if I can get RPs in a reasonable price (like £40 comparable to other traditional shoes in UK) I'll totally change back to them because I do prefer working in a traditional shoe.

Fish

Edited by chinafish

Hi Chinafish

The shoes are lovely and a gorgeous pale pink satin. I tried all the shoes on to see yow they differed and the Rubins suited my feet best. Agreed a strong supportive shoe, but with the option of a soft roll through for the best of both worlds :)

RP say they want minimum RRP to be £50, so similar to Grishko.

I'll be making the decision next week and hopefully gave shoes 7-10 days from then.

Will keep you posted!

Sx

• Like 2

Guest chinafish

£50 will still be a lot more affordable than £80 per pair! I really loved dancing in them shame it was just so expensive to order from the US.

Fingers crossed. *using my telepathic powers to persuade Sheila*

• Like 6

Ok :) thanks everyone! We will be stocking them just waiting for confirmation of initial order :)

We'll also be stocking Wear Moi leotards (not pointe shoes yet) if anyone has any recommendations on styles they would be welcome, I'll be placing our initial order this week.

Sx

• Like 7

Ok :) thanks everyone! We will be stocking them just waiting for confirmation of initial order :)

We'll also be stocking Wear Moi leotards (not pointe shoes yet) if anyone has any recommendations on styles they would be welcome, I'll be placing our initial order this week.

Sx

:) I wanted to click "like" more than once!!!!

• Like 4

Personally I would be delighted to be able to get my hands on more pairs of Russian Pointes for my collection. I have a pair each of Brio,Celesta,Entrada and Rubin. Having all been imported from the States they cost me a fortune.!

My DD loves her Russian Pointes, she wears Encores which are imported by Energetiks here in Oz. She had previously worn Bloch, Grishko and has had one pair of Freeds.

Russian Pointes are made in Russia (but called R-class there and some of the names of the styles are different, eg Entrada is called Elegance from memory) but the hard shank is not as hard as the hard shank in Grishko in our experience. DD likes the flexibility, many of the styles have the option of a v shaped vamp (no drawstring) or a u shaped vamp (with drawstring) and there are 3 vamp lengths although the shorter vamp (1) and the longer vamp (3) are usually only by special order. DD is wearing the standard 2 vamp with vamp elastic, the 3 vamp would probably suit her better but she'd prefer to try it on first before buying. In addition there is usually a choice of a flexible shank or a standard shank. The flexible shank allows for better rolling through from demi pointe to en pointe and dd prefers this. The Encore also has a pre-arched shank will helps to mold the shank to the arch.

The shoes themselves are hand made and a very pale pink in colour (not peachy at all) so it can be a little difficult to find ribbon pale enough to match.

There is a large range of sizes and widths and we have found the sizing to be very consistent.

The Russian Pointe website has a number of videos and on- line information that explains the differences between the models and the shank types etc. Also the r-class website.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Lucinda

In comparison to Grishkos, I think it depends on the model. DD has worn 2007's which in comparison to RP encore had a similar length vamp but a lower profile and only 3/4 shank. Grishko miracle had an even lower profile. In other respects those Grishko pointe shoe models were similar to RP. Dd had one pair of Grishko Vaganova's which was an interesting experience.......they were very tapered, had a tiny platform (which dd hated) and the hard shank was incredibly hard....they were like bricks! I don't think dd ever broke the shank, she just gave up wearing them because they were so hard.

The RP's in the standard vamp (2) are definitely longer than most of the Bloch models, the box itself is longer too. It's very frustrating but none of the Bloch (Australian company) pointes fit DD as the boxes are all too short for her long toes unless we go down the made to order route (for a student?!). It would be so convenient if there was a model to fit her. I have ended up ordering her RP's from the USA and Russia (via the r-class website) as until recently Energetiks only imported medium shank RP's not hard!

Guest chinafish

Hi Sheila,

I know it's early days yet, but when do you expect them to be in stock?

*plans trip to shop*

• Like 3

Thank you for all your helpful replies, I look forward to learning more about these shoes!

After a delay in replying due to a European tour, RP have now got back in touch from the US and are putting together our first order. I am initially looking at stocking the Rubin, Entrada and Muse, with possibly the Brava at a later date. I should imagine they will be with us in a couple of weeks, but will keep you all posted :)

In the meantime, Wear Moi have been very efficient with our first order and some items are here already - here's the link to the leotard you were asking about picturesinthefirelight

Sx

• Like 1