Moving from lower school to upper school

Jellybeans

Someone has already posted about how many students arie moving to RBS upper school from WL this year and I know that they have to audition but I was wondering what happens in the other schools.

Do yr 11 students at Elmhurst, Tring and Hammond have to audition for an upper school place along with everyone else or do they automatically move up if they want to? I assume they have to audition but don't know!

How many students from vocational schools have been offered 6th form places at their current school this year and in recent years?

Is it normal to change schools for 6th form if you have a choice or do most people already at vocational school prefer to stay where they are?

Edited by Jellybeans

Hi there,

I don't know about other schools but at Hammond the lower school still have to audition with everyone else to get a place at the upper school.

Any MDS funding/burseries are also closed and the student has to re-apply and re-audition with everyone else for these....a level playing field again.

I believe that Hammond have a leaning more towards the stage/performance style of dance and those that want a pure classical career would either have to apply at 18 to companies/schools etc or change their option focus slightly. However it is still possible to get into a classical ballet career from Hammond post 18 and their ballet teachers for senior school are very good indeed.

Hope this helps.

T.

Edited to add that most of the students audition in year 11 for other schools giving them their major dance/musical theatre choice which includes Hammond 6th form. Hammond have their own touring company in the third year of 6th form (like Central etc) and you have to re-audition to get into that....the auditions never seem to end...

Edited by Dragonlady

For Tring you do not have to audition to stay on, but everyone has to audition for the Da Da award. It is a personal choice if your children want to try different schools. I know for Elmhurst all their students have to re-audition with all the outsiders for a place in their 6th form.

At Elmhurst they had to do both first and final auditions for 6th form. Though DS has just told me that this year they only did the final.They also still go through the school's apprasials, They don't find out any earlier than those outside the school. In my DS year there were 14 boys in year 11 and 6 went on to 6th form with 2 boys joining, the girls there were 17 girls in year 11 with 7 going to 6th form and 3 joining. Last year I believe only one boy stayed on. Most of them auditioned for more schools than just Elmhurst with 2 boys getting into Royal.

At Elmhurst they had to do both first and final auditions for 6th form. Though DS has just told me that this year they only did the final.They also still go through the school's apprasials, They don't find out any earlier than those outside the school. In my DS year there were 14 boys in year 11 and 6 went on to 6th form with 2 boys joining, the girls there were 17 girls in year 11 with 7 going to 6th form and 3 joining. Last year I believe only one boy stayed on. Most of them auditioned for more schools than just Elmhurst with 2 boys getting into Royal.

These figures don't sound much better than RBS :(

Do you know if more were offered places and turned them down or did most that we're offered a place take it up?

What about this years yr 11?

For Tring you do not have to audition to stay on, but everyone has to audition for the Da Da award. It is a personal choice if your children want to try different schools. I know for Elmhurst all their students have to re-audition with all the outsiders for a place in their 6th form.

It sounds like Tring do offer a good continuity of education!

I heard on the ballet grapevine that the Elmhurst girl who got RBS actually get assessed out from White Lodge in year 9?? Just shows how things can turn around from one year to the next.

Well that is encouraging to hear that!

F x

I'm not sure on the numbers at Elmhurst but most who are offered sixth form do stay on - with the odd few who decide they'd rather go elsewhere (although we've certainly seen some go and come back again over the last few years). The "odds" are usually slightly better for getting into sixth form than at RBS - but some have a change of direction at the end of year 11 and go to other performing arts schools.