International summer school

tutugirl

I expect this is a minefield and has been discussed elsewhere - but help !! My DS would like to attend a summer school abroad , at the beginning of august this year . If possible - the first 2 weeks . Can anyone recommend one that would be good for a lad who is at vocational school ? He is auditioning for upper schools at moment . Confident to travel and cope alone. !! I welcome suggestions particularly based on experience . Thank you all

without wanting to sound too negative most summer schools have already closed their application process by now. Also they tend to be a bit earlier in the summer mostly in July (except for Prague Masterclass but we decided DS at 16 might be a bit young for that- even though he has been at vocational school in the USA and travels back and forth alone since age 14, so I dont know if your DS would be up for this?).

By abroad do you mean Europe or further afield (USA?). Others that have been recommended to DS (but he hasn't attended) are Houston, American Ballet Theatre and John Cranko (Stuttgart).

In terms of experience my DS has done Kirov in Washington a few times and loved it (but he's at school there so may be biased), and this year is doing Ellison in New York which is highly recommended. As well as the 4 week general they are doing a 2 week pas de deux intensive which is after the general so is late July/early Aug - may fit the bill?. DS has also turned down full scholarships to Dutch National and San Fransisco so I don't know if that means they will have space or may have already given his place away...

II would choose a few of interest and contact them directly to see if they will accept a late application- you may be limited to those that do. If you have a nice pic of DS (often they ask for arabesque side view so this is a good one- or a performance one) it would be worth attaching that to whet their interest..

Good luck!

I found when I was looking at this that many of the European intensives take place during state school terms here eg in July.  There is one in Dresden end of August, no idea if closed to apps or not.  Also the SIBA , Salzburg one that is promoted onthe forum from time to time I think may be into early August.  There is a thread on summer schools with quite alot of international schools listed eg Antwerp.  RAD are running some overseas summer schools this year though I expect this isn't the kind of thing you have in mind.

Joffrey run one in Florence - my dd attended last year and it was about the dates you are looking for. There is no supervised accommodation, but other than that, I think it fits all your requirements. It was an excellent SS. I'm sure entries will still be open.

• 4 weeks later...

Try: Centro de Danza Ángel Corella in Barcelona or http://alcorcon.escuelavictorullate.com/novedades/cursos-de-verano-2014 this one is just outside Madrid and run by Victor Ullate school information is in English as well.  I think that they are still taking places as they have only just advertised in the ballet schools here in Spain.  There is another one here in Valencia with dancers from the ENB but i can't remember the name of it.  

• Like 1

When my daughter returns from the Uk, I will get the details of the school in Valencia, if there is accommodation and costs etc.....  there is also one in Sienna called the Ateneo della danza run by Marcos Batti and following the American Ballet school.

Hallo tutugirl,

I think most of the summer intensive auditions are closed (abt, houston and san francisco ballet), but i heard there is a nice summer intensive in spain

http://www.ibstage.com 

there are a lot of director of vocational schools:

- Patrick Armand San Francisco Ballet Schoo

- Samira Saidi English National Ballet School

-Simona Noja (Wiener Staatsoper Ballet School)

- John Broeckx Ballet Akademie  of Munich

- Daria Klimentova 

- Monique Loudieres

-Isabelle Ciaravola

- Gonzalo Garcia

and many others...

I heard that last year was very nice and very professional. They were a lot of international students and few of them got a scholarship for a vocational school like san francisco ballet school.

just check the website!University of Music and Performing Arts - Munich

Hi Goldfish,

are all of those teachers listed on the faculty page going to be at the 2014 summer school? Amazing!

I can't quite figure out the website. Is there a year round course and a summer school, or just a summer school?

hi Pastel,

this is just a summerschool....I think they started last year and every year they change faculty....if you look the website you can audition by video or in person...i had friends of my daughter that went last year and they loved it. it's a popular stage for italian students.

if you check the Facebook page you can see swell the level of the people that was accepted...a frien of my daughter got a scholarship for sfballet school.

This year seems to be even more interesting because they have a lot of directors and principal teaching there.

unfortunately we are not planning to go because my daughter got accepted to abt in NY.