Long sleeve or short sleeve leotards?

Ruli

Hello,

I have just started taking ballet lessons again. I did ballet for a couple of years when I was little, but stopped. Now I am 29 and got back to ballet, and I need to buy a leotard for class. As far as I remember it was good to wear leotards so the teacher could see how you are moving, so the question is should I buy straps leotard, short or long sleeve. The classroom is very cold, so I would like to buy the long sleeve one, but I don't Know if the teacher could see me right.

Thanks for your advices and nice to meet you all!

Ruli

If you are chilly could you wear a little cross-over top until you warm up?

I'm not really sure of the protocol of that as I have a teen who doesn't get cold at all. But I know it's on the uniform list for college (& I don't want to buy it as she doesn't feel the cold)

It really doesn't matter for adults honestly. A teacher can see your arms just as easily in a long sleeved one! But as you wont be auditioning for the Royal Ballet et al dont worry......there is no list you have to fulfil! Buy a long sleeved one for winter and a short sleeve or straps for summer!

When you get to my age you will want to save the teacher (in my case) from having to look at your rather crepe-y angels wings as they are called!! So strapless is definitely out unless you have a very thick skin!! I personally like 3/4 sleeves.....to just above the elbow....but only have two leotards.....one a lovely degas one which has long sleeves.....but the sleeves are transparent so hide the offending wings but are not constricting.....and another 3/4 sleeve one.

However I often don't wear leotards at all. You can just wear comfortable clothing which you feel good in.

One of the studios I dance in is very cold on certain days so I just wear my ordinary jumper on top for at least half the barre....Occsaionally the whole barre until Ive warmed up.

You are still youngish so can get away with a straps type leotard for those very hot days in summer.

Even I have to swallow my pride and wear a short sleeved top thus exposing the offending wings on very hot summer days.

I do like the look of those woollen bolero type tops for the winter but they all seem to be so short.....I'd like one to come to just below the waist not above as they seem to. I can remember my pink one from 12 yrs old to this day and which I cherished but am not completely sure whether a 60 plus lady would look okay in one!!

Actually this thread is similar to the one Mimi started about adults dance wear so maybe more info there or these comments could be there??!