Young British Dancer of the Year Award 2014

Nana Lily

Wanting to send best wishes for those competing today and good luck for the semi-finals. Quite a few dancing friends taking part for the first time this year. Have a fabulous expereince!

Will be good to hear news if you can share.

NL

• Like 11

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaperone - I can't speak for this year's entrants, or anyone personally, but I don't believe SAs are entered by the RBS, they will be entered through their local dance school teacher. The final programme lists the schools who have entered students and there are usually quite a lot of them. The final is usually made up of a majority of RBS students with a couple from elsewhere.

Well done to those through to the semis today - have a great day - and especially to belljul making an unexpected journey today :-)

• Like 9

Yes, DD is SA but form was signed by her local dance teacher, what a shame she was too ill to doit yesterday, it would have been lovely to take part, but huge congratulations to all that got to the semis and best of luck for today x

• Like 1

The whole afternoon was fabulous and my son is through to the finals!! Amazed. It was a difficult class and he was the youngest but they seemed to like him and forgive the errors. Thrilled he will have coaching from,Thiago Soares next week. He has had a huge poster of him on his wall since he was 11! They all danced beautifully and it really was tutu heaven with the girls. Stunning costumes. Huge well done to everyone.

• Like 18

Fantastic news about your son Belljul!! Many congratulations and best wishes for next week!

LTD, not sure about your question, I am sure someone on the forum will be able to answer, however three of the boys are ex Elmhurst, with two just joining RBS at the beginning of this school year, one into year 10 and the other into 6.1 and a friend mentioned there are also two ex Tring students, now with RBS through to the finals too.

I see that ENBS students have also received some awards! well done to them too.

NL

• Like 1

My DD danced today - one of two non vocational girls she really was just dancing for the experience and the fun. She had the most fantastic day and wishes she could do it all again. I couldn't be more proud of her .Good luck to all those through to finals ,I'm glad it's not me choosing between you - so much talent :)

• Like 11

What colour leotard/tutu Kat09?  I loved watching the non vocational girls.  Wonderful what can be achieved.  I thought both of them danced beautifully! It really was such an hard class. I was very proud of my DD.  She knows what she needs to do next year now :o  Well done all of them! :)

Belljul, well done to your DS!  He really was wonderful to watch and what an opportunity to have coaching from Thiago Soares!! Good luck to him on Saturday :D  

Edited by angel
  • Like 6

It would be very nice if some sort of competition could be held for non-vocational students only. I don't wish to offend anybody but I feel that where the finals are absolutely dominated not just by vocational students but by one school it doesn't seem like an open competition. Perhaps the RBS could hold its own competition. Sorry if this upsets anyone. Congratulations to all those non-vocational students who took part. You should feel very proud of yourselves.

It has to be said that every year the majority of finalists are RBS so yes I agree it doesnt seem like an open competition especially as it takes place on the schools premises.

However the judges are not involved with the RBS school and do not know when they are judging (prior to the final) which candidates go to which school. At least this was the case when my ds took part.Even his teachers were not allowed to go if I remember rightly so as to keep proceedings as neutral as possible. So the fact tht independent adjudicators end up choosing RBS dancers is a good testament to their training. It also means that those who got through to the semis who are not at the school know that it really was on their own merits so especially well done to them.

As to competitions well there are plenty all round the UK that RBS students are not allowed to take part in. YBDY is actually the only one they can do now as they no longer do RAD exams thus preventing them from Bedells or Genees.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 8