Oasis to make an announcement on Wed 26 Feb at 9AM !!!!!!!!!

Lisa O`Brien

OK I realise this is really short notice,but I only found out in the last hour.Twitter was going mad so I decided to see what was going on.If you go to the official Oasis website at 9 o`clock [today now] there will be an announcement. Die hard fans like me are hoping and praying they are to get back together and do a tour,as this year is the 20 th anniversary of their debut album,Definately Maybe. But it could just be they are announcing that they are re-releasing the album to commemorate it`s 20 th anniversary release. Will have to wait and see.Only a few hours to go now.!

Well their website has crashed,so had to get the news from Twitter. Oasis are....Re-releasing their debut album Definately Maybe with some bonus tracks added to mark the 20 th anniversary of its release. Major let down; was hoping for some sort of a reunion. But people are now thinking,might they do a tour of the album, or even just one show [Knebworth? Loch Lomond? ]. Who knows. Oh well. Now i don`t have to [for now] frantically try and get a ticket I can go ahead and buy my washing machine. As you were....

Everyone on Twitter,myself included is disappointed they are not getting back together. But I was talking to my son about it last night. I saw them live 8 times and they were just amazing every time. The last time I saw them was at Marlay Park in Rathfarnham in Dublin. It was wonderful,but by then I had already decided that was the last time I was going to see them live. Just getting too old to be pushed and shoved about with no room to breathe,have beer spilled all over you , getting up at the crack of dawn,all the support acts and then THEM, for an hour and a half,no more,no less. My most memorable gig was Slane Castle though. Our bus got us there really early and because my son was with me the security stewards allowed us to move quite near to the front. The castle itself was only a stones throw away,and there at the window was Noel Gallagher,looking out at us all occasionally and waving,while having a cup of tea or coffee [very rock and roll !]. He was really funny ,because we were all eagerly waving to him to attract his attention,and every time he turned towards the window everyone went mad and cheered.So he started hiding behind this curtain,and every time he popped his head out to us, the crowd would go mad. Then we would go silent again as he went behind the curtain. Then he would pop his head out again and the place would erupt. It was such a laugh.! Then Noel pointed to what looked to be in my direction,sort of. Suddenly,for the first time,Liam appeared at the window,appearing to be looking for someone in the crowd. It was my son.!! As literally the only child there, he kind of stood out a mile. Noel must have spotted him,then told Liam there was this little kid in the crowd, and Liam came to have a look for himself. I pointed out Liam to Sean [not that I needed to,he knew who he was,he had been dragged to enough Oasis gigs by me before then]. I told Sean my son, to wave to Liam. And Liam waved back to him. Liam Gallagher waved to my son.!!!!! I thought i`d died and gone to Heaven. He told everyone about it at primary school the following Monday and the whole school knew,including all the teachers,and everyone kept asking him about it. Sorry,this is a bit like a diary entry ,I know. But they were the band of my life,for the rest of my life. No other band before or since has or ever will have such an effect on me. But if they get back together again [they were offered 20 million 2 years ago by some promoter but Noel said never again.]. BUT.... If they did.... Would I really,at the age of 46,overweight,high blood pressure and a dodgy knee,put myself through all that again for the sake of seeing them live again,for singing along to Wonderwall and Live Forever,and crying like a mad thing along with most other people there because we just love them so so much, as the emotion of seeing them in the flesh is just too overwhelming  [i`ve seen grown men sobbing after their shows,just muttering to anyone who will listen how much they love Oasis],and everyone around them nodding their heads in agreement]. Would i REALLY put myself through all that again?  Abso bloody lutely.!!!!

Edited by thequays
  • Like 2

Well their website has crashed,so had to get the news from Twitter. Oasis are....Re-releasing their debut album Definately Maybe with some bonus tracks added to mark the 20 th anniversary of its release. Major let down; was hoping for some sort of a reunion.

That's the trouble these days: people "big things up" so much over so (relatively) little. Would you have gone quite so mad trying to get the information if you'd known it was "only" a re-release? :(

all the support acts and then THEM, for an hour and a half,no more,no less.

You should try Bruce Springsteen: if you get away with less than 3 hours, you've been short-changed :). *And* he doesn't usually have a support group.

Sorry, I realise that is totally unhelpful in the circumstances, but it really annoys me when bands charge a small fortune for tickets and then don't give fans their money's worth. And people complain about having to pay high prices for a 3-act ballet!

• Like 2

That's the trouble these days: people "big things up" so much over so (relatively) little. Would you have gone quite so mad trying to get the information if you'd known it was "only" a re-release? :(

You should try Bruce Springsteen: if you get away with less than 3 hours, you've been short-changed :). *And* he doesn't usually have a support group.

Sorry, I realise that is totally unhelpful in the circumstances, but it really annoys me when bands charge a small fortune for tickets and then don't give fans their money's worth. And people complain about having to pay high prices for a 3-act ballet!

Annoys me too when there is all the hype and it turns out to be not really very exciting. Usually the more hype, the smaller the return. So they are re-releasing a 20 year old album, hoping people will buy it just because it has a few new tracks. No doubt, lots will. It's a common enough ploy.

As well as being short changed on concert time, it really annoys me when bands/artists start late. This used to be a frequent occurrence when I  went to go to Wembley in my youth. The bigger the star/s the later the start. Worst offenders were U2 and Whitney Houston. They started so late I had to leave before the end or be stranded. Most professional was Diana Ross who was due at 8pm and appeared at 8.10pm. Just courtesy to start more or less on time isn't it?

As for ballet prices, given all that is involved, all the cast, the backstage staff and so on, they are not so expensive really.

As for Bruce Springsteen, 3 hours is nothing. Ken Dodd goes on all night! Apparently, the audience leaves before he does. This is what I have heard anyway!

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

Annoys me too when there is all the hype and it turns out to be not really very exciting. Usually the more hype, the smaller the return. So they are re-releasing a 20 year old album, hoping people will buy it just because it has a few new tracks. No doubt, lots will. It's a common enough ploy.

As well as being short changed on concert time, it really annoys me when bands/artists start late. This used to be a frequent occurrence when I  went to go to Wembley in my youth. The bigger the star/s the later the start. Worst offenders were U2 and Whitney Houston. They started so late I had to leave before the end or be stranded. Most professional was Diana Ross who was due at 8pm and appeared at 8.10pm. Just courtesy to start more or less on time isn't it?

As for ballet prices, given all that is involved, all the cast, the backstage staff and so on, they are not so expensive really.

As for Bruce Springsteen, 3 hours is nothing. Ken Dodd goes on all night! Apparently, the audience leaves before he does. This is what I have heard anyway!

I've never seen Ken Dodd live but I know a number of people who have.  I don't know whether this is urban legend but one evening he performed until 0130 in the morning!  I bet the theatre staff were thrilled to bits!

• Like 3

I've never seen Ken Dodd live but I know a number of people who have.  I don't know whether this is urban legend but one evening he performed until 0130 in the morning!  I bet the theatre staff were thrilled to bits!

Apparently, it is true. I looked up some reviews which confirm he went on until 1.30am! As you say, the theatre staff must have been thrilled. I might have had to accidentally set off the fire alarm about midnight, if not before.

• Like 2

My in-laws saw Dodd in Liverpool just a few years ago and he was on for five hours! Both in their mid-70s at the time, they were fast asleep in their seats by the time he'd finished! They loved the bit they saw though!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

OMG, Liam Gallagher has been on Twitter the last half an hour ,Tweeting the letters,O,A,S,I,S. Liam and Oasis are Trending. COULD it be? WILL they re-from to do a tour? Or possibly headline at Glastonbury? Will keep you informed.

Loved your description of the gig- I recently went with DH to see Augustines play Koko- and my elder daughter (15) came too as she totally loves them. It was an amazing gig- a small venue (less than 2000)- we were about 10 people back from the front and I have to say I danced non stop for 2 hours. The encores went on so long the crew had unplugged all the kit, so the band just hopped off the stage and came and played an acoustic set right in the middle of the crowd (my daughter was about a metre a way from the lead singer and was singing her heart out). We had a seriously fabulous time despite not getting home til 1am and having to get up at 6 for work the next day! It was such a completely joyous and uplifting experience and so lovely to share it with my daughter!

Never so much into Oasis but I totally know where you are coming from with your excitement!!!

• Like 1