Northern Ballet Academy Easter School

Interested Parent

My DD has applied for NBA Easter School in Leeds and she has to audition for a place on Sunday.  I have just re-checked the website and it seems that this will be a preliminary audition with a possible final audition later in the month.  Can anyone advise on whether this is the case as it seems rather a lot for just an Easter school.  I am also interested to know if anyone can advise on the standard of the course as I am hearing conflicting views on whether it is of a good standard.  I imagine that having to audition (possibly twice!) should mean it is of an excellent standard but just wanted posters views.  Thanks.

Thank you Kat09.  Do you know if there was a recall audition for this?  We are coming up from the South and it is already costing £60 rail-fare for the first audition so was hoping not to have to travel again 3 weeks later, especially as that rail fare will be a lot higher now.  I have emailed them but just hoping someone whose been may have more knowledge.

Hi there Interested Parent

Am a bit confused now as I read on the website that the International Easter School was photo application only and the audition was for the Summer School?

http://northernballet.com/?q=academy/training-programmes/easter-course

I might well be wrong but I would phone them if I were you just to make sure

Yes I know that page says photo app only but then when you click on the link 'application details and download' it states that a prelim and recall audition are required and we have received a letter from them for the audition  :unsure:   Oh dear, you're right, I think I will ring them this morning.  Thanks Lisadebs.

• Like 1

OK I've spoken to the Academy Programmes team and this is how it works:

The first web page that says photo application only means you cannot apply for the audition unless you send in the requested photos.

The web page link that says recall audition are for those students that are applying for both an Easter or Summer School and one of the other Academy programmes such as Associates or CAT scheme.

If applying for the Easter or Summer school only you must send in the application with photos and attend the preliminary audition only to know if you have a place.

The reason my confirmation has information about the recall audition on it is because my DD is auditioning in the same group as other students who are applying for the other Academy programmes.  We are assured she will only have to attend 1 audition.

Phew!  Hope that makes sense.

• Like 5

Perfect sense! Thanks for taking the to report back. Whilst I can see why they only have one form for all their programmes, it does lead to confusion! Am I right in thinking that if you are in full time ballet training you only need to apply with photos? If anybody can clarify this I would be grateful.

Yep their website is very confusing.

We will be travelling up on the train so I would be interested to know if the station is walking or taxi distance from the academy?  Do they have a waiting area/cafe or should I go walk-about?  Never been to Leeds so all new to me.  We will also have plenty of time after audition to kill so any recommendations for places to go for a couple of hours would be appreciated.

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks Millie3 - that is helpful to know

Interested Parent - its about a 20 minute walk from the station - we used to walk that way when youngest dd went to JA's at Yorkshire Dance Centre which is nearby. There is also a taxi rank opposite the station - if you were worried about walking in the wrong direction (I know I would be). Somebody else should be able to fill you in re waiting areas/café at Northern Ballet - as we have not done classes there. However Leeds town centre is 5 mins away and there are loads of shops including the new Trinity Centre so plenty of browsing/ coffee opportunities. Good luck to your DD for Sunday :)

• Like 1

Quarry Hill is adjacent to The West Yorkshire Playhouse.  If there is a matinee on there, the cafe there is also lovely.

I love going to Leeds.  If you like windowshopping you can wander up to the gorgeous Victoria Quarter, which is a Victorian Arcade that has been expanded by covering over a couple of narrow streets.  It's at the side of Harvey Nicks.  Leeds also has a new mall called the Trinity Centre.  I'm afraid that it sits between the railway station and Quarry Hill so do be careful not to get sidetracked on your way to the audition!  There are some nice restaurants on the top floor.

The main gallery and museum is on The Headrow and is super.  Leeds also has The Armouries (sometimes they have events on - when we went some medieval knights were jousting!)  Temple Newsham Park is jolly nice but is outside the city centre so a bus or taxi ride away.

If you like arty/crafty type shops I found a super place at the bottom of the Grand Arcade (adjacent to the Grand Theatre) - it's lots of individual retailers with tiny units selling all sorts of interesting handmade items.  One has the most beautiful selection of handmade cards.  There are also a couple of cafes within the store.  Also in the Grand Arcade is a wonderful vegetarian cafe called Roots and Fruits, which is open till around 7 in the evening.  My favourite restaurant is Akbars on Eastgate Street, if you like Indian Food.  It is not open at lunchtime but it is in the evening.

Depending on the date of your audition, you may see Northern Ballet and Phoenix dancers using the cafe! 

I love going to Leeds, it is a jolly nice place to while away a few hours.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Ah thank you Janet.  Any info on Leeds is good because IF DD gets a place on the Easter course, both myself and my non-dancing 12 year old daughter will also be staying over at the IBIS budget for the full 5 days and nights and we will need plenty to do!  I'm hoping we might be able to treat ourselves to a ballet performance somewhere?  Hey ho, let's hope she gets offered a place  :mellow:

I stayed overnight at the Ibis Budget last year.  I didn't realise there wasn't a kettle in the room so you need to take your own although there is a drinks dispenser in the foyer.  It's up to a 10 minute walk to Quarry Hill - I say that advisedly because you are crossing several major dual carriageways and you need to plan in the waiting time for the green man to come on.

There doesn't seem to be any ballet on but Vincent and Flavia are on at the Grand and the wonderful Northern Broadsides are on at the Playhouse.

Quarry Hill is very close to the bus/coach station.  A lovely day out is to get the bus to Harrogate, which is a nice town to mooch around (and to visit Bettys Tea Rooms if the queue isn't too bad).  Or catch the connecting bus to the glorious town of Knaresborough with its fantastic castle ruins, another fantastic place to mooch.

Somewhere I discovered last year is the Hepworth at Wakefield, which seems to be very child friendly and has a great cafe.  It seems to be only 15 minutes by train from Leeds.  Halifax is also super with its amazing Piece Hall.  And, of course, York is not too far by train either (and there is a Bettys there too!).

I LOVE YORKSHIRE!

• Like 7

Just a word of warning re ibis budget - it can be full of weekend revellers, so can be very noisy throughout the whole night.  It's also very basic - it was like sleeping in a cell with the painted breeze block walls.  I'm all for economy rooms, especially when the costs add up so much, but it was the worse night I have ever spent anywhere (and we often go camping!).  Perhaps stay there during the mid-week nights then transfer somewhere else for the Friday night.  There is a  premier inn, near the new arena, which isn't too far to walk each day and 2 children can eat breakfast for free with one paying adult.  Otherwise take your earplugs!

Trip advisor post over :)

• Like 3

Just a word of warning re ibis budget - it can be full of weekend revellers, so can be very noisy throughout the whole night. It's also very basic - it was like sleeping in a cell with the painted breeze block walls. I'm all for economy rooms, especially when the costs add up so much, but it was the worse night I have ever spent anywhere (and we often go camping!). Perhaps stay there during the mid-week nights then transfer somewhere else for the Friday night. There is a premier inn, near the new arena, which isn't too far to walk each day and 2 children can eat breakfast for free with one paying adult. Otherwise take your earplugs!

Trip advisor post over :)[/quote

Oh Millie, sounds bad! Do you know which Leeds Premier Inn your recommendation is? When I look on their site there are about 3 and I'm not sure which one to pick.

• 2 weeks later...