A Dislike Button?

Rather than a Dislike button, I'd rather have more emoticons.

Ideally I'd like:

:facepalm: - useful in so many places, particularly when a politician makes a remark about the arts, sport or- well, just about anything really.

:pray: - Handy when the new season booking opens at the ROH

:nailbiting: - perfect for describing the experience of watching the Rose Adagio

:phew: - equally perfect when those balances have been got out of the way

:doh: I would find this particularly apt to express my feelings for Wayne McGregor's latest piece

:rofl: - my reaction to Mr Crisp's review of the above

And finally:

:run:  Before I upset anyone or get told off for waffling or deviation. 

• Like 4

I 'LIKE' the like button as it shows strength of support without a lot of unnecessary posts to say so. [it is also quite nice, on occasion, to find that others share one's views!]

I have 'DISLIKED' some posts, especially some rather personal comments about dancers and, recently, a few on the thread about Vadim Muntagirov joining the RB. But, as is suggested above, I would rather explain why I disagree or object than simply press another button.

• Like 4

Oh, I like :notworthy: - that's the one with the bowing emoticon, right?

:banghead: is always handy for the times when the government comes along to explain why slashing arts funding is a good thing.

And the one whistling innocently, and the one with the halo...

There's also a nice little emoticon offering a flower, which is another way of saying "nice post" and also of softening a critical response.

Still don't like the idea of a Dislike button though....

Edited by Melody
  • Like 3

Where do you find all this info on emoticons!! Or did you just make all those up Fonty!?

I think in general we are more ready to "complement" people with a "like" if we strongly agree with them than want to cause an upset with a "dislike" ......though I speak for myself here. I tend to just ignore posts I dislike.......which aren't that many in reality......but will make a comment if a certain degree of dislike comes into play so to speak.....then I may feel inclined to make a comment showing this disagreement but it has to be quite strong to invoke a comment.

Now that is how it seems to me......but as am just watching this Horizon programme on logic/ intuition decision making systems so the reality of my posts could prove to be somewhat different!!!.......how do you do that wry faced emoticon?

if we have 'real emoticons' for real emotions, can we have a range of disingenuous emoticons too...   look, the smile doesn't reach my eyes, I'm crying inside..  :)

I'm not in favour of a dislike button.  I imagine most people visit here because ballet has positive associations in their life, and while balanced discussion is very much sought, the last thing they want is to get embroiled in is publicly recorded 'negativity marking'.  Internet forums can turn into bullying environments, or at least be perceived as such when very assertive contributors are given tools to put others down.  I write occasionally for a satire website which has star-based voting buttons for contributions, but also the ability to add tags to posts, in theory to help with searches.  A few people use those tags to express abuse or snideness, which sours the place for everyone and is a constant source of complaint.

• Like 1

I am not in favor of a dislike button but today i thought I was insulted at another thread...

I wish people would respect other people's views even when they disagree with their opinions.

Edited by Naomi M

I always used to think that "Like" and "Dislike" buttons were pretty inane, given how I'd seen them being used on various social media sites (especially with the abuse of the "Like us on Facebook to be in with a chance of winning XYZ" type of marketing).  But various posters on this site have convinced me that there *is* a place for them when you merely want to agree without adding anything, and I now even use them myself on this site occasionally.

Quite.  Jacqueline, you've reminded me that the forum software keeps a running tally of the number of "Likes" you've received at top right.  If we had a "Dislike" button, would it also have to keep a tally of those, too?  And what effect would that have on your average forum member?  I manage to ignore the "Likes" tally most of the time, but doubt I would feel the same about a "Dislikes" one, especially if I got a high count.

I'm not sure how you could set this so that it would cut out waffle while leaving a long, but very thoughtful and well-thought-out post, though?  There's not necessarily a correlation between quality and quantity, in either direction.

I agree with the above, even if I haven't "Liked" them :)

Anna, it's not really a question of anonymity, though, because you would presumably see the poster's name by the "Dislike" in the same way that you do for "Likes", and you would be able to link that name with whatever else the poster posted on the forum (even if you might not be able to tackle them in person next time you passed them at the ROH because you couldn't associate their username with the real person :) ). 

I've been a victim of anonymous "thumbs-downs" on a newspaper forum, and it's really not very pleasant.  The case I'm thinking of (tennis yet again - sorry), as far as I remember, was a pretty much factual description which I gave of the course of a match, having just rewatched it (Player A was in the lead, player B caught back up, won the next set and took the lead in the next set - that sort of thing) and EVEN THEN various anonymous people Disliked it.  I was totally bewildered: had they seen the match in some sort of alternate universe where things had happened differently?  Were they just trolling?  Nobody actually posted and said "You've got the score wrong", or "that wasn't how it happened", which I could have accepted: these were just totally anonymous disapprovals from people who might know virtually nothing about the sport, know far more than I ever could, or were somewhere inbetween the two extremes. I've learned now not to go back and see whether anyone has posted replies to things I've posted, but at the time it was very unsettling.

Very true (although I doubt it would actually apply to most members of this forum).

First of all, I am not very speedy on the computer and do not know how to isolate the part of your post I want to reply to?

With regards to my comment about waffling, I meant that if a person knows they have a limited number of characters or words, it might help them to really think about what they are saying and try to condense it a little.To waffle or not is a matter for the waffler to self - edit.

As you say, there is not necessarily a correlation between the length of a post and its quality. Some longer posts can be fascinating and others tend to stray into subjectivity and repetition. As a rule, I tend to skim over the very long posts. I may well be missing out by doing this but I prefer, particularly in this format, short to medium. I try to keep my posts reasonably short and to the point, assuming that somebody might be interested enough to read them. I would bear in mind that I only have about 500 words for example and would try to say what I want before I run out of characters in mid - sen

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 2