Ballet is a Sport? (suitable for the ladies)

Although I have not yet been able to find the transcript of English Bridge Union v HMRC I see from a report in The Australian that the tax judge considered the criteria for an activity to be regarded as a sport:

"To our minds, sport normally connotes a game with an athletic element, rather than simply a game.

"Contract bridge involves some physical activity, but not a significant amount. The physical activity is not the aim of participation and physical skill is not particularly important to the outcome."

Well ballet almost certainly meets that criterion if nothing else but it may fail on others such as an absence of competition except in events like the Genee.

Edited by terpsichore

Some thoughts on a variety of themes raised in this interesting thread. 1. There's seemingly an implicit view that calling an activity a 'sport' is in some way paying it a compliment; and I disagree with that. What's wrong with being an art form, albeit one that requires great physical conditioning and technics prowess?  2. Moreover, getting a given sport into the ultimate competitive environment of the Olympics can change that sport to its detriment, as competitors abandon the 'spirit' of the activity by stripping out anything that does not maximise points-scoring reward.  My example there is taekwando, which in club form is a valid, balanced martial art but in Olympic form is a bizarre Riverdance affair  - because kicks score more than punches, punches and defence to punches are pretty much abandoned.  I suspect an Olympic ballet form would also drift in the direction of scoring  - a comparator is perhaps ice skating, which i find technically impressive but rather mechanical and soulless.  3.  A few people have pointed to low participation from women in recreational sport. I guess this depends on your social circle - I have to say in ours we are familiar with a very active hockey scene, and club tennis which ladies continue into their seventies.  The trick seems to be keeping girls involved in the mid teen years where their social life suddenly explodes - get them through that (and a good young social scene in the sports clubs helps) then the chance is they'll stick with it.