Covent Garden tube exit-only from 24th February

Just got this through from the ROH:

"Important Travel Information

Please be aware that from 24 February until the end of 2014, Covent Garden Underground Station will be exit only, to allow TFL to carry out planned works on the station lifts. This may affect your journey coming to a performance and your journey home. The nearest alternative London Underground Stations are Leicester Square (Northern and Piccadilly lines) and Holborn Station (Central and Piccadilly lines). For more information, please visit www.tfl.gov.uk"

There's no room, unless you can design a spiral escalator.

A spiral escalator .... Now THAT'S an achievement that might actually be WORTH waiting for ... 

Just think, if that WERE possible, then the next time they were to shut the CG Station exit for months on end it might well be due to the development of a process whereby groups of passengers could disappear from the station platform (that historic entity) and materialize seconds later on the CG concourse.   While I realise this would not be prime for buskers (there are plenty of them in the relatively fresh air outside as it is) ... you could THEN at least say that Star Wars had well and truly entered - from a practical perspective - unto the 21st Century.  Surely THAT would be a ballet in and of itself and we all, of course, could choose our own music.  Brilliant.  

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

I love the idea of the spiral escalator!!

I love the Egyptian escalator at Harrods and sometimes just go up,and down it for the sake of it......not that I'm in Harrods that often!!

Last time was early January and I heard this wonderful voice coming from somewhere and then saw a lady on one of the balcony s all dressed up and giving a recital.......so doubly worth it on that occasion!

• Like 1

I'll have a look next time S and P ......I haven't taken them in....or may have but not why they were there!!

Why would any one want to struggle with a pushchair on an escalator when there are lifts!!

Perhaps this should be pointed out to the store. There are often Harrods staff standing around the escalators who could advise the anyone with a push chair to use the lifts!! Then these posts wouldn't be needed.

Does any other big department store have them?