WL appraisal results are out.

theodore

Offer of another years training for ds. Can breathe again and enjoy half-term. Good Luck to you all.

Well done to your DS! Mine sends his love. As for Elmhurst - were still waiting for a letter with results ,( but not worried too much as our major hurdle is year 9 )

Enjoy the half term break

Edited by Billyelliott
  • Like 1

Brilliant news for you all, hope no one gets assessed out, heart breaking for them.

So true. My heart goes out to any who find themselves in this situation, not such a nice half term for them. I just hope that they and their families get proper support.

Its bittersweet for the friends too who whilst being successful themselves have to then cope with the prospect of those who they have got close to having to leave.

• Like 2

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows who the lady was that was on the panel for the appraisals at WL. My DD said there was Diane van Schoor, Jay Jolley & a lady who she didn't know. Does anyone know?

Edited by Tippy_Toes

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask, but WL used to have a class some time during the summer term, where everybody was assessed, and then given a ranking.  The names of those deemed to be in the  top 10 were read out in class, in reverse order. 

Which was great for those in the top 10 - not quite so nice for the others.

Do they still do that?

Good grief - no, thank goodness. They're not meant to talk about their appraisal results either.

I do find the 'cloak and dagger' appoach rather strange to be honest.  Why the need for secrecy?  When my DD was at vocational school any exam results would be whispered by the teacher individually rather than announced generally or  posted on a noticeboard which is common at dance schools.  Some pupils then over inflated their results to others and it caused even more unrest.  Likewise reports wheren't to be discussed. 

Its a big thing in academic schools now that pupils know their individual working grades and target grades - not sure secrecy is healthy. 

Edited by BankruptMum
  • Like 3

The trouble is, when they talk about what mark they got, it can cause problems with the comparisons between them (whether between the students or the parents) and it can get quite tricky.  It shouldn't - everyone should be mature enough to accept their mark and not worry about what anyone else got - but it does.  That's actually why, for appraisals/assessments I prefer how Elmhurst used to do it - with just Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory.  Or maybe just given them Fail/Pass/Merit/Distinction.  The number's pretty arbitrary anyway as noone knows the actual criteria (and they used to give everyone who failed their appraisal at WL a mark of 48 - I'm sure they didn't all get exactly 48!!).  The end of term/year reports are far more interesting and useful as they're broken down into marks for different aspects of their dancing.

The number's pretty arbitrary anyway as noone knows the actual criteria (and they used to give everyone who failed their appraisal at WL a mark of 48 - I'm sure they didn't all get exactly 48!!).  

DS didn't get 48 when assessed out!

The trouble is, when they talk about what mark they got, it can cause problems with the comparisons between them (whether between the students or the parents) and it can get quite tricky.  It shouldn't - everyone should be mature enough to accept their mark and not worry about what anyone else got - but it does.  That's actually why, for appraisals/assessments I prefer how Elmhurst used to do it - with just Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory.  Or maybe just given them Fail/Pass/Merit/Distinction.  The number's pretty arbitrary anyway as noone knows the actual criteria (and they used to give everyone who failed their appraisal at WL a mark of 48 - I'm sure they didn't all get exactly 48!!).  The end of term/year reports are far more interesting and useful as they're broken down into marks for different aspects of their dancing.

Yes, it would seem better to just have Pass or Fail.  The idea that everybody will keep their marks a secret seems doomed to failure, surely?  If somebody got brilliant marks for every aspect of their dancing, surely they would want to share that news with their friend(s). 

I've seen copies of the older end of year reports from about 30 years ago, and there were no marks at all, only vague comments such as "try to relax the arms during port de bras".  A disgruntled parent commented that this was a bit like saying, "try to get your sums right" for a maths report!

• Like 2