Russian Ballet Icons Gala 2014 - London Coliseum 9th March

Details and booking are on the Coliseum website, date is Sunday 9th March 2014 at 7pm, no specific details of dancers but the theme is the history of Russian Ballet, Companies include RB, ENB, Bolshoi, Mariinsky, POB, Berlin Staatsoper, and NYCB, sounds very exciting!

• 3 months later...

Casting just announced - Askerov, Azzoni, Cojocaru, Golding, Gruzdev, Gudanov, Klimentova, Kobborg, Krysanova, Lopatin, Muntagirov, Nunez, Polunin, Rojo, Ryabko, Rzykhova, Salenko, Soares, Somova, Tereshkina, Tsigankova, Walter, Zelensky

• Like 4

Just checked the ENO website and the following are listed as dancing:-

Silvia Azzoni, Alina Cojacaru, Mathew Golding, Dmitry Gruzdev

Dmitri Gudanov, Daria Klimentova, Johan Kobborg, Maria Kochetkova

Ekaterina Krysasnova, Vyacheslav Lopatin, Denis Matvienko

Vadim Muntagirov, Marianela Nunez, Sergei Polunin, Tamara Rojo

Aleksandr Ryabko, Ksenia Rzyhkova, Iana Salenko, Leonid Sarafanov

Thiago Soares, Alina Somova, Victoria Tereshkina, Maria Tsigankova

Marian Walter, Svetlana Zakhanova  (think they mean Zakharova)

Igor Zelensky

So Zakharova IS there - phew wouldn't the annual gala without her!!

Edited by Don Q Fan

Just checked the ENO website and the following are listed as dancing:-

Silvia Azzoni, Alina Cojacaru, Mathew Golding, Dmitry Gruzdev

Dmitri Gudanov, Daria Klimentova, Johan Kobborg, Maria Kochetkova

Ekaterina Krysasnova, Vyacheslav Lopatin, Denis Matvienko

Vadim Muntagirov, Marianela Nunez, Sergei Polunin, Tamara Rojo

Aleksandr Ryabko, Ksenia Rzyhkova, Iana Salenko, Leonid Sarafanov

Thiago Soares, Alina Somova, Victoria Tereshkina, Maria Tsigankova

Marian Walter, Svetlana Zakhanova  (think they mean Zakharova)

Igor Zelensky

So Zakharova IS there - phew wouldn't the annual gala without her!!

What a pity that they (agents or theatre) can not spell the names correctly:

Ekaterina Krysanova, Ksenia Ryzhkova,  Svetlana Zakharova,

and I think this should be not Maria but Anna Tsygankova

(http://www.het-ballet.nl/en/dancers-and-team/dancers/principals/anna-tsygankova/)

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 1

Just be warned:  The lists and actual performers often vary considerably in this production's history.  Go by all means (I will) but remember:  Caveat Emptor.   There have been some very pleasant last minute surprises.  Sadly no NYCB or Paris Opera dancers as initially promised it appears on the initial listing.  

To wit: Volcanohunter notes on Ballet Alert's forum:  

On her web site Svetlana Zakharova has listed her performances through May, but this gala is not among them.http://www.svetlana-...m/Calendar.html Alina Cojocaru is scheduled to dance in Onegin in Hamburg on March 8, which wouldn't necessarily preclude her appearance in London the following evening, but it's worth keeping in mind. Onegin two nights in a row, a plane trip, and a gala appearance following immediately after is a pretty heavy load. Ekaterina Krysanova and Dmitry Gudanov were also announced to appear at Manuel Legris' gala in Nantes on March 9, and as far as I know, neither can bilocate. wink1.gif http://www.francecon...s-2eme-edition/

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There always are no-shows every year: I didn't expect this one to be any different.

Does anyone have any idea what will actually be on yet?

Cojocaru and Kobborg have confirmed on twitter days ago that they are dancing Manon bedroom pdd, check for @DancingAlina and @Kobborg

If you're planning on going to this, it might be an idea to check public transport.  There will be engineering works going on between London Bridge and Charing Cross, which may mean that Southeastern services are diverted to Cannon Street, and from an announcement I heard on the tube today, it sounds as though quite a few of the tube lines crossing north-south will be affected by work too (although it may just be at ends of the line rather than in the middle).

Am I the only one to think that it's a bit off for dancers to agree to appear and then pull out close to the date for reasons other than illness, injury or pregnancy? 

This happens all the time with tennis tournaments and it drives me crazy

from an announcement I heard on the tube today, it sounds as though quite a few of the tube lines crossing north-south will be affected by work too (although it may just be at ends of the line rather than in the middle).

From what I can gather, it sounds as though Jubilee Line work is the only major problem in central London - but do check.

Also worth noting that the tkts booth in Leicester Square is already selling some of the higher-priced tickets at a discount, but nothing low enough for my budget, anyway.

I'm still no clearer on the contents of the gala :(

I remember this being an issue last year - the promoters seem to put star names on the bill before final confirmation they're appearing has been received.  It's really frustrating, and makes it difficult to tell who you will actually be seeing.

I remember this being an issue last year - the promoters seem to put star names on the bill before final confirmation they're appearing has been received.  It's really frustrating, and makes it difficult to tell who you will actually be seeing.

Sometimes there are also VISA problems: when Sascha Ryabko danced with Cojocaru he had his VISA something like a day before the show.

This time he is confirmed, with his wife Silvia Azzoni. Anyway, reading a comment on the Web it seems that the definitive confirmation was given few days ago, it seems from organizers.