Vocational ballet schools at 18

I'm currently 17 and studying in year 12 at my local comprehensive school. I was going to audition for vocational schools at sixteen but a lack of funding meant I couldn't do so. I have a part time job so I hope I will be able to get some funding to be able to go away at eighteen after my a levels.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a list of schools that definitely take people on at eighteen into the first year. I've looked at lots of the websites and some are very ambiguous over this and emailing them I hardly get a reply!

I'm currently studying advanced one RAD Ballet and Advanced one ISTD modern theatre.

Any help or replies would be very gratefully received

Thank you:)

thank you:) I was looking at purely classical as I have never done any contemporary before? I don't know how possible this is though because of my age. If I'd had a choice I would have gone at sixteen but the decision was sort of taken out of my hands:(

I think many classical companies like versatile dancers these days so I think learning Contemporary (if possible) is always a good idea. If you can get some Contemporary training then your choice of schools opens up as you can apply to schools such as Rambert. Central School of Ballet also has very strong Contemporary training. Both these schools offer degrees so although many dancers do apply at sixteen, it may also be possible (or even desirable) to apply to schools like this after A Levels.

The other place you might like to investigate is the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland's BA in Modern Ballet.

I think I read on your profile that you are an associate? Do you get any Contemporary classes at your associate scheme? If not, is there any possibility of taking Contemporary anywhere nearby?

• Like 2

I think many classical companies like versatile dancers these days so I think learning Contemporary (if possible) is always a good idea. If you can get some Contemporary training then your choice of schools opens up as you can apply to schools such as Rambert. Central School of Ballet also has very strong Contemporary training. Both these schools offer degrees so although many dancers do apply at sixteen, it may also be possible (or even desirable) to apply to schools like this after A Levels.

The other place you might like to investigate is the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland's BA in Modern Ballet.

I think I read on your profile that you are an associate? Do you get any Contemporary classes at your associate scheme? If not, is there any possibility of taking Contemporary anywhere nearby?

I do a bit of contemporary at associates at the moment and I'm finding it okay. I may ask some of the girls there where they learn and maybe travel to do a class. Thank you for all your help! Do you know by any chance if ENBS take you into the first year at 18? I have sent numerous emails about it to them with no reply as of yet!

Central school of ballet do anaballerina, not totally sure, but I think ENB do too. Just go for audition and see what happens. All the very best of luck.

Central school of ballet do anaballerina, not totally sure, but I think ENB do too. Just go for audition and see what happens. All the very best of luck.

Thank you so much! That widens my options as I thought Central stopped at sixteen as well:) thank you all for your help☺️

Northern Ballet School and London Studio Centre also do take at 18.

Thank you:) I knew about Northern as the head of ballet there examined my grade 8 and we were talking about schools after my exam! I didn't know about LSC though so that's another one to add to my list :)