Pointe shoes - questions?

Katymac

I always had one foot that was more arched than the other so the back of one shoe would have been too soft if I had tried to swap them over. I guess everyone is different and is taught differently and it is just what works best.

My dd's feet are different too, with one foot fractionally more arched, and the other a bit wider. Once she's worn her shoes - that's it. She says they'd feel totally wrong on the opposite feet.

Edited to add: and one foot is a little longer than the other too. Definitely not a matching pair! ;)

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

I think everyone's feet are different - a slightly higher arch on one foot - and/or stronger - or a difference in size.  For me, and the many I knew who switched shoes - switching shoes seemed to help even these differences out.

But - perhaps - doing this from the early days of training might make a difference.  It was taught to me from my very first pointe lesson.

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 2

Lovely to see you and DD today Katymac :)

The size changers are a very thin layer of padding that lines the top of the box and also gives a little cushioning at the toe. They reduce the size of the shoe by approximately 1/4 of a size :)

The novel was a book! Dance related of course! ;)

• Like 3

Can anyone recommend a very quiet brand and style of pointe shoes? Watched some girls at local festival today and many had very noisy pointe shoes. DD isn't old enough to compete on pointe yet but she says her current favourite pointe shoes (Bloch Serene's) are very noisy. She's ready to try something new so thought we'd try and incorporate 'quiet shoes' in our list of requirements when we go shopping.

Sorry!!! DD was so chuffed to find a book combining Ballet & Ballroom!!!

I wanted to buy so much Sheilia's shop is a cross between Alladin's Cave, a TARDIS & a fairytale grotto!!!

DD suggested handing over money every month between now & September so she can come on a spending spree.....

DH was a bit unsure about going that far but even adding in the petrol (but perhaps not the book) it wasn't significantly more expensive than buying locally and the care, time & knowledge we were shown was immense. Previously DD had been expected to 'know' stuff & as they were her first shoe, she simply didn't.

Altogether a great afternoon we both learnt loads

• Like 3

I am currently wearing grishko 2007 pro 6xx hard shank with a sleek heel and medium-high arch. Is there any other grishko shoe that anyone can recommend? Like maybe vaganova or either mayas? I am unable to fit these other shoes because my local store only stocks 2007s.

• 6 months later...

I am currently wearing grishko 2007 pro 6xx hard shank with a sleek heel and medium-high arch. Is there any other grishko shoe that anyone can recommend? Like maybe vaganova or either mayas? I am unable to fit these other shoes because my local store only stocks 2007s.

HI Yulpany, even if your local store only stocks 2007, they should be prepared to order in a few pairs of vaganova's to try. That is the deal with our stockists- they don't have to stock the Vaganova as it is a more unusual shoe, but they should offer to get them in for you to try, and they can send any that you don't buy back to us, the distributors. - you may have to pay them a postage charge. Do send me aPM and let me know which store it is. I may be able to suggest another!

yes it was for her spannerandpony. I took lots of photos :) . I have just got to pluck up the courage to darn the tops. Spoiling the perfect silk is daunting

They won't stay looking perfect for long!!! Remember to wait until her teacher has approved the fit of the shoes before sewing ribbons etc.

• Like 2