Boys ballet costume

Billyelliott

I wanted to get DS something a bit more special than a leo and standard tights to dance in - for festivals and dress up days in classes etc , but no luck in finding a flouncy ballet shirt or any more colourful tights than grey or navy !

Will I have to resort to making one !!

He is only the size of your average 10 year old !

Any suggestions - so far I've only fond one online in America !

Hi Billyelliot,

I've recently been looking for costumes (not boys though) and came across 2 sites which were new to me. Dance Gear Direct (also do made to order) and another called movedancewear. I don't know if they will be of any help to you. 

Incidentally, I have used US sites All About Dance and Discount Dance Supply in the past (they shipped to Europe) and was very pleased. x

• Like 1

How about this? It's an american ebay seller, but again, I have bought lots from here over the years and always very good service.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUFFLE-Ballet-Shirt-Guys-Mens-Dance-Costume-Nutrcracker-CMCLAMALAXL-TB3779-/271376259712

Or this..

https://dancewear.co.uk/products/details&prodid=2571

Other avenues that would be worth exploring are ballroom dancing sites as mens ballroom tops are often kind of like leotards. (Maybe katymac can help?) Or try some ice stating sites? eg http://www.justicedance.co.uk/Mens-Boys-Skating-Wear.html

Also worth a look are re-enactment costumiers as they do a good line in pirate type shirts that might be suitable.

Christine at Crystal Dance in Worcester makes costumes for many different people. She made all Tom Edwards dance wear for the Prix last year. Give her a call, if she doesn't answer it's due to the machine noise! She will make to measure and is brilliant!

01905 739160. She doesn't have a website as she has so much work by word of mouth!

• Like 1

I have used 'Crazy Ladies' a while ago. After a brief phone call and a picture giving an idea what the teacher wanted for a group dance, a sample costume arrived the next day to try on and for the teachers approval. It was sent with no obligation and they used an end of roll of fabric as we had v limited budget. They will make to a picture with your choice of fabric. V helpful and extremely accomodating.

• Like 2

If you're willing to get stuff sent from the US then boysdancetoo.com is amazing for ballet stuff for boys/men. They're super-friendly too and quick to answer emails - I've used them multiple times in the past. One thing I particularly like is they have sample outfits from professional dancers (I think it is in a section called 'The Look' or something like that) which usually have plenty of colour (I've got some nice brown tights from them in the past and have my eyes on some dark green ones...!). If you don't want to order from the US then they might at least give you some ideas :)

The only other place I've found lots of colourful clothing for guys is Yumiko, which have a UK website I think. However, I don't think they do kids clothing and they are rather expensive (although the quality is astonishingly good) so don't know if appropriate!

• Like 1

Billyelliott - good luck with your search - it's tricky!  But you don't need to worry about festivals now he's at full-time school.  When they dress up in class at the end of the year they tend to wear more "fancy dress" type outfits, or the girls' tutus!

• Like 1

I wanted to get DS something a bit more special than a leo and standard tights to dance in - for festivals and dress up days in classes etc , but no luck in finding a flouncy ballet shirt or any more colourful tights than grey or navy !

Will I have to resort to making one !!

He is only the size of your average 10 year old !

Any suggestions - so far I've only fond one online in America !

Sorry a little off topic but I just wondered if Vocational school actively encouraged students to continue to take part in festivals - I know some festivals have rules against it but wondered how the schools stood on the matter?  Have you had good support?  I know finalists of last years All England were at Vocational schools.

Edited to add - sorry Billyelliott - just realised you explained in a post above :-(  good your Son is still able to have this opportunity!

Edited by BankruptMum

Some festivals specifically exclude vocational students as we found out when DS was mistaken for his little brother- a complaint was made that his teacher had allowed him to dance while at vocational school - we were in stitches as he doesn't dance anything like his brother....they were just looking at his skin colour!

After the invite we just wrote a letter to the principal who was very happy and encouraging!

We made a point of explaining that all the rehearsals and performance will be in the holidays .

DS is so excited as he misses his modern dance ! This is such a nice reward for his concentration on ballet technique !

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...