Royal Ballet: Rhapsody/Tetractys - The Art of Fugue/Gloria: February 2014

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miyako Yoshida is my fave dancer - a jewel of a dancer for a jewel of a ballet   :-)

After many years looking for what to me was the most exquisite thing in nature ( flowers, scenery, etc.) when I first saw Miyako Yoshida in 2001, I thought this is it. I still do.

• Like 2

Tetractys question: unless I've remembered it wrong, on the first night the blue lights at the back, right at the beginning, came on line by line as the notes were played; then at the next performance they all came on together at the end of the phrase - please could someone notice at the next show and say which happened?

I was at the Saturday evening performance.

Rhapsody is a favourite of mine and I agree with posters above that this was a moving perfomance with,once again, high standards of dancing from everyone in it. It was good to see Zucchetti  again, and Choe was a perfectly Ashtonian dancer with elegance and grace suited to the role.

I love the backdrops.

Gloria is a fairly sombre piece and the audience did not seem too taken with it I thought; it has occurred to me before that it is a less successful Requiem. The costumes do rather get in the way. But I still find it powerful. Acosta was very good. I posted of his Giselle that I do not always  find him dramatically convincing.  But in Gloria he danced expressively rather than with his usual flamboyance. We are going to really miss this great dancer when he goes.

The McGregor situation was certainly a shock.  I was not entirely looking forward to seeing more of his work, but certainly interested- and it is a shame to have missed the one  chance to see this which might have changed my mind about his work-.but many people were very seriously disappointed.

I agree with all those who find it unacceptable that the RB should put itself in the position of having to cancel at no notice one third of the evening.Many think that a triple bill in which there is almost more interval than dance is already periously close to bad value ( though I don't agree as I like long periods to reflect on what I've seen and have some wine) But to only have 2 short pieces- realy is rather absurd when you consider how many people have travelled to get there and all the work that goes into running each evening's show in the house. It is also absurd when they have so many fine dancers all of whom would be glad of a billing, not to use them in alternative casts. As company choreographer is it not his job to choreograph for them? Perahps I don't understand how these things work.

I am tempted to take up the offer of compensation especially as this was  a birthday  treat pair of posh tickets-..- £64 eac-h for about an hour's perfomance? Hmm. Money back would give me a nice amphi seat ...

I feel a bit mean doing so, as I do want to support  the RB, which I love, and I am sure we all agree we wish the dancers nothing but well.

But perhaps they should re think the Mc Gregor policy.

• Like 1

Tetractys question: unless I've remembered it wrong, on the first night the blue lights at the back, right at the beginning, came on line by line as the notes were played; then at the next performance they all came on together at the end of the phrase - please could someone notice at the next show and say which happened?

Think those lights are temperamental - they should have come on one at a time with each note (at the start). They had to start again at the rehearsal...

Guaranteed to be one of the great performances that never happened and a matter of great regret: Lynn Semour in "Marguerite & Armand". She covered it but,alas,never danced it.

I have to say that I thought James Hay was quite the best of the three in "Rhapsody" because he was dancing as Ashton would have wanted,with great tenderness and finesse as well as with all the necessary fireworks. Zuchetti was also pretty good if a little self regarding,which is the norm for him. McRae was,of course,spectacular,but it was at a price and unbalanced the ballet. I loved both Morera and Choe but,as for Frankie Hayward, I am bereft of words. Radiant,dazzling,incandescent, need I go on? Not since Cojocaru stepped in for an injured Leanne Benjamin in Romeo & Juliet have I been so bowled over by a debut. A star was certainly born on Saturday afternoon,and I couldn't help thinking how Sir Fred would have adored her.

• Like 4

The RB announced that Olivia Cowley will be dancing on the 11th, and that Osipova should be fine to do the 13th. Those are pretty big shoes for Cowley to fill, but what a great opportunity for her. Wish I had time to go on the 11th, and good to know that Osipova is on the mend

Miss Cowley must have been Osipova's understudy so she will have watched Osipova during all 1st cast rehearsals. Mr O'Hare said last Saturday night that there was a 2nd cast but they never rehearsed those dancers due to time constraints.  Miss Cowley has danced in McGregor's ballets before so I assume she'll be able to pick things up fast. Yet it can't be an easy feat to be given just today and tomorrow to rehearse and perform in the evening.

I wish her all the best!

• Like 1

Returning to earlier performances of Rhapsody. I seem to remember the original costumes worn at the gala for the Queen Mother were rather fussy In particular, too many beads and bangles for Collier and gold hair and breastplate for Baryshnikov. Collier didn't seem comfortable in the role and indeed I read somewhere she found difficulties preparing it with Baryshnikov. The ballet certainly looks better for the makeover - did this happen in 2001 or prior to this?

Incidentally, I saw Macrae dancing Rhapsody in a matinee performance in 2011 - his speed was breathtaking. I was excitedly anticipating getting my first glimpse of Cojocaru, but it was Macrae who has remained in my mind.

Mr O'Hare said last Saturday night that there was a 2nd cast but they never rehearsed those dancers due to time constraints.

A cast that doesn't go on stage, or wasn't even planned to go on stage, is not really a cast in my book. I think understudies is probably the better title. For the avoidence of doubt I think there should have been a proper second cast.

• Like 7

as for Frankie Hayward, I am bereft of words. Radiant,dazzling,incandescent, need I go on? Not since Cojocaru stepped in for an injured Leanne Benjamin in Romeo & Juliet have I been so bowled over by a debut. A star was certainly born on Saturday afternoon,

My thoughts were pretty much the same (apart from the fact that it was Kobborg's debut - and Rojo's - which really bowled me over and I just thought Cojocaru did very well given the time constraints :))

The ballet certainly looks better for the makeover - did this happen in 2001 or prior to this?

It was during Monica Mason's tenure - I can't quite remember when, but they replaced the Patrick Caulfield designs, which were even less suitable.

It was during Monica Mason's tenure - I can't quite remember when, but they replaced the Patrick Caulfield designs, which were even less suitable.

Are there any visual records of these earlier designs?  I thought I saw a photo online somewhere of Viviane Durante in that production but have lost the link.  Does anyone remember what they were like?

Linda

Are there any visual records of these earlier designs?  I thought I saw a photo online somewhere of Viviane Durante in that production but have lost the link.  Does anyone remember what they were like?

Linda

You can have a little peek at that interim production here :  

• Like 1

I certainly agree with him about McRae. Some people find McRae almost-too over powering? too much? I don't quite know.

I am just stunned by his brilliance. I like to think I first 'spotted' him as Squirrel Nutkin! He was brilliant even in a huge squirrel costume. Good spotting on my part I like to think...!

• Like 3

I certainly agree with him about McRae. Some people find McRae almost-too over powering? too much? I don't quite know.

I am just stunned by his brilliance. I like to think I first 'spotted' him as Squirrel Nutkin! He was brilliant even in a huge squirrel costume. Good spotting on my part I like to think...!

I'm one of those people. He's certainly spectacular, but for me it's all just too much.

I generally avoid McRae. He always looks so very pleased with himself and it spills over into cheesy far too easily and often - technically brilliant of course but seems more suitable for a competition than a "proper" ballet.  However, to be fair, I thought he toned it down quite nicely in the recent Giselle.

Edited to add that I liked his Squirrel Nutkin very much - at his best inside a furry suit!

Edited by Lindsay
  • Like 2

Saw Rhapsody and Art of Fugue last night, although someone told me the tube strike was over I was still uncertain so missed Gloria, anyway it was already 9.20 when I got out, and I couldn't face another 30 minute interval for a 25 minute ballet!

Very happy to see Valentino Zuchetti again, he has been doing very well these last weeks, he always looks happy to be dancing and has powerful punchy technique, also don't think I've seen Yuhui Choe in this role before, very lovely.  Thought the lighting could have been stronger, it seemed to vary across the stage. 

Actually quite liked The Art of Fugue, at least the costumes were colourful and made the dancers visible, also the lighting structures were bright, the music didn't really make much impact on me and as usual for me with Wayne McGregor, the choreography for the pdd and solo's was fascinating and brilliant, but when everyone was dancing it looked a muddle. I suppose the abrupt ending for Paul Kay had a purpose, but it didn't work for me, maybe Bach stopped in the middle of a fugue?

• Like 1

I overall liked Tetractys a lot more last night than I did in the previous performances. I'll mostly put it down to where I was sitting, McGregor always struck me as a choreographer whose work was more enjoyable from the stalls, ideally from as close as possible, and this was the case again.

I thought Olivia Cowley was very good, no-one should feel cheated out of having missed Osipova.

There was however one moment (that I spotted) where you had the feeling she was an understudy rather than second cast (I do not mean that pejoratively against her, I am assuming that she therefore wouldn't have had as much rehearsal time as someone who was always supposed to be on stage), at the very beginning, when Edward Watson is carrying her/Osipova, McGregor had pointed during the insight evening that she should position herself as a completely straight line, and this wasn't quite the case. It still raises a few questions as to how prepared the company was to the possibilty of an injury.

The performance of Rhapsody was probably my favourite of the three casts, Yuhui Choe is always radiant in Ashton, Valentino Zucchetti brought just enough bravura without going over the top.

Well, that Tetractys photo reminded me of the thread a few months ago discussing the Luke Jennings article where he complained about the way male choreographers require female dancers to be manipulated in ways that emphasise their genitals, and he particularly mentioned McGregor as a prime example. Looks as though nothing's changed in the meantime, unless that photo was unrepresentative.

Photos can be very misleading, sometimes appearing to show a pose where none exists. Seeing it again last night the move in which Nuñez flips over, taps the stage with her toe and flips back takes all of a couple of seconds. Blink and you've missed it.

I enjoyed Rhapsody and Gloria. The Art of Fugue was tedious. The music offered no change of tempo while the choreography had exhausted itself after the first 5 minutes. Several people around me were trying to stay awake - I dropped off twice! I felt the choreography was more like gymnastics than dance - not what I go to the ROH to see.

I wonder whether a resident choreographer is a good idea. Maybe the Royal Ballet would attract more variety if it commissioned works from a diversity of choreographers. While choreographers may wish to produce works which are avantgarde in nature they must also take an to account the necessity of getting 'bums on seats'. This type of work will not achieve such an ambition.

Linda

I found this link to the original production- if you scroll down there's a video extract.

http://youdancefunny.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/rapture-over-rhapsody-part-one/