The Troy Game. A tongue in cheek tribute to male macho

Has anyone ever seen this. I call it the Chippendale's only classier. When I see it the woman are usually dressed well!

It is a tongue in cheek tribute to male machismo. Samba Music by Bob Downes and Choreography by Robert North.

All the men are dressed in Tarzan outfits and when I saw it last, as the first men came on stage there was a gasp by some woman.

I just love it and I am a man.

You can tell it is on as woman are dressed differently and there tends to be more woman in the audience.

I saw Scottish Ballet bring it to Woking along with La Sylphide many moons ago.  It was the Sylphide performance where I totally managed not to get either Tamara Rojo or Johan Kobborg, despite them both dancing with the company at the time :(

It was very enjoyable, as I recall.

Absolutely loved that ballet! We had a great recording of London Contemporary Dance Theatre dancing it on an old VHS tape, so presumably it was televised way back when (I think in 1980).

A couple of years ago I did an internet search and found the website of the guy who composed the percussion music for the ballet. His name is Jon Keliehor and his company is Luminous Music.  At the bottom of the page about him on the Luminous music website there is a link to purchase a copy of Troy Game. He also suggested we might enjoy Class V and that was good too.  

I could think of a number of dancers in various companies who would look good in Troy Game!  I saw the much lamented LCDT perform it quite a few times over the years and always enjoyed it.  I also saw Scottish Ballet performing it (on a double bill with La Sylphide?). 

I remember seeing several performances by the Royal Ballet years ago - great fun watching Stephen Jefferies and Wayne Eagling strutting their stuff!  I know I saw another company dance it and it may have been Ballet Rambert while Robert North was Director there.

I've got the Dance Theatre of Harlem's DVD of this ( + Fall River) and it's splendid - and available on Amazon. I can remember LCDT doing it, too - weren't they a great company - what happened to them?

The Arts Council did a review and LCDT closed and Rambert stayed.  A number of the dancers, eg the utterly amazing Paul Liburd moved from LCDT to Rambert.  I still regret the passing of LCDT which was the first dance company I ever booked to see in around 1976.

• Like 1

I first saw the RB do this, and loved it. Little did I know then that I would be so lucky as to meet Mr North and see many more of his ballets, and indeed see Troy Game several more times. It's still being performed bu the company in Germany where Mr North is director.

Yes, I first saw it by London Contemporary Dance Theatre (many years ago) which I believe was the original version.  Also I have seen it done by Dance Theatre of Harlem, they have a DVD version, and they ham it up a bit more than the original. Who did you see Euan? 

I saw it done by Scottish Ballet. Twice! Robert North was director on one occasion. It is just great fun and really good.