Post 16 Schools

balletla

My dd wants to do more dance training. it's personal choice at the end of the day.

yes, I realise that what one does is a personal choice. From your answer to the question about graduate destinations, though, it seems although students go on to further training rather than into dance companies. I just wondered if that is normal, is all.

Remember that the last DADA awards will be ot those going September 2012. The decision regarding what will replace DADA's will be made sometime in September. A very worrying time for anyone looking at dance training, not only ballet!

• 2 months later...

Legat School of Dance offers vocational training in all dance styles.

It is part of St.Bede's Senior School which is a co-educational boarding school, where the students can study for their A-Levels.

Its patron is Dame Beryl Grey and I believe that the standard is becoming increasingly higher each year. They have just been appointed (last year) a new Director of Dance, Miss Elaine Holland, who used to be artistic director of The Dance School of Scotland. I do believe that in 2011, the graduates went to further their training at Elmhurst School for Dance, (where one student has already left and joined a company in Romania), Laine Theatre Arts on a DaDa, Central School of Ballet and Millennium Dance.

In 2012, the graduates have gained places at Central School of Ballet, Ballet West, and 2 at London Studio Centre - one on the Classical Course and the other on the Contemporary.

They have a new programme starting in 2012 where their vocational training will also count as a qualification.

" Commencing in September 2012 we will be introducing two new BTEC qualifications in Performing Arts (dance). These qualifications will provide academic recognition for the vocational dance training that the students are receiving without diminishing the expectations and demands of what is necessary to pursue a career in the professional dance world.

BTEC Level 2 will be a two year course for Lower Fifth and Upper Fifth and will give the students a three GCSE equivalency and 21 hours of dance per week. These students will also have the opportunity to take up to seven more academic GCSE subjects and gain UCAS points from the external RAD and ISTD exams.

BTEC Level 3, Extended Diploma, will be a two year course for Sixth Formers which will give the students a three A Level equivalency and 26.5 hours of dance weekly. There will be further opportunity to take up to another two academic A Level subjects and gain UCAS points from the external RAD and ISTD exams. "

So sixth form students will finish with the equivalent of 5 A-levels (3 from Btec, 2 proper A-levels)

Dadas and MDA's cannot be obtained, but they have a scholarship process, where students have to return for another audition.

You could also apply for a scholarship through St Bede's which can be different based on another talent. I know of a young girl who recently auditioned and gained a place with Legat but also gained an Academic Scholarship through St Bede's !

MDS is only available at RBS, Tring, Elmhurst, Hammond and CATS (which are not full time vocational training).

DaDA recipients MUST study the Trinity National Diploma in Professional Dance or Musical Theatre (as far as dancers go but there are others for acting and theatre management) and so the schools are limited to those accredited by both Trinity and YPLA who actually fund the DaDA with September 2012 being the last guaranteed fully funded Diploma. Have a look at the Trinity College London site for a list of accredited schools some of which are not accredited DaDA schools. ENBS is a Trinity and DaDA accredited school.

RBS, BRIT (free) and BOA Academy (part of BRIT and so also free) offer BTEC National Diploma in Professional Dance

Have a look at http://www.ballettrust.org.uk under Vocational schools, Post 16 for a non exhaustive list of schools and some information about them and the courses they offer.

• Like 1