MDS and subsequent children

Busymum

This has been niggling me for ages and I know some of you will know the answer, especially kiwimum6!!

If you have a child at vocational school with an MDS what happens if a younger sibling is also awarded an MDS? How could you pay the parental contribution for both children as obviously it is means tested or do you just pay for the first and once they leave start paying the parental contribution for the second?

I am sure we would never be in that position but am intrigued!

Many thanks

You have to pay the parental contribution for both children but the second payment has an allowance built in.  As you said kiwimum may be able to help as she's been in that position, but when I enquired about what we'd have to pay if my dd got in to WL while my son was there I was told that we'd pay half the amount for the second child.  That was quite a while ago now though, so it may have changed.

I have looked into this before busymum, and it does become very expensive. Two years ago, the situation was that they reduced the amount you pay for each child and it worked out that the second child cost roughly half that of the first child. To make it easy to understand.....if the contribution for the first child was 10, 000 then two children would be 7, 500 each. 15, 000 for both. I have no idea if this is still the case however. Maybe someone else can be clearer on the policy at the moment.

Yes you are correct, you pay half the contribution of the first child for the second child. You still get the allowance though of around £1800 per child taken off your gross income. At my DD's school they then add the total contributions together and then split it equally between both children, so it appears on your invoice that you are contributing the same for each child, if that makes sense. PM me if you have questions.

NL

• Like 1