Daria Klimentová farewell performances in Romeo & Juliet at the Royal Albert Hall

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Its sounds a though quite a lot of posters on here will be at Daria's farewell performance on Sunday. Please could we all try to clap her on when she makes her first entrance through the double doors at the back, surrounded by her 'friends'?

ENB audiences do not, alas, have a strong tradition of welcoming Principals onstage and the Albert Hall, especially, needs more than just a few of us to be 'on the case'. No doubt we shall all be cheering to the rafters at the end.

If you haven't already seen the Daria/Vadim cast, you are in for a treat. If you haven't bought a ticket, please try to come.

[i am going to put this on the production thread as well so as to catch as many readers as possible.]

ENB audiences do not, alas, have a strong tradition of welcoming Principals onstage and the Albert Hall, especially, needs more than just a few of us to be 'on the case'. No doubt we shall all be cheering to the rafters at the end.

And long may it continue to be so. Applauding principals when they first arrive on stage is a dreadful habit, imported from the Russians who will applaud and whoop and holler anything and everything, which breaks atmosphere and is almost always inappropriate. As you say, raise the rafters at the end, though!

• Like 6

And long may it continue to be so. Applauding principals when they first arrive on stage is a dreadful habit, imported from the Russians who will applaud and whoop and holler anything and everything, which breaks atmosphere and is almost always inappropriate. As you say, raise the rafters at the end, though!

Do you think applause at the end of the act when followed by an interval is appropriate though. At this R & J we do not see the corp or the harlots in Act 3 so should they get their bow at the end of act 2?

Couldn't agree more BBB.  When Christopher Gable introduced his particular style to Northern Ballet, it was preferred that we didn't applaud during the performance for the dramatic story ballets and this habit sticks with me to this day.  I think it ruins the thread of the drama.

Do you think applause at the end of the act when followed by an interval is appropriate though. At this R & J we do not see the corp or the harlots in Act 3 so should they get their bow at the end of act 2?

Oh yes, applaud at the end of the Act but please do not have dancers taking curtain calls between acts.  I will never forget seeing a Mariinksy Giselle dying at the end of act 1 and then taking a curtain call.  AWFUL!!  Completely ruined the mood.

Sadly I can't see Daria's final performance but I hope you will all cheer her and Vadim on my behalf!

• Like 2

Very much yes to end of act applause. That is when it's most appropriate. It's a shame the corps and harlots don't get a curtain call, but that's the same in most "traditional" R&Js. In the other hand, I'd probably have no money left having spent it on bouquets for harlots if it were otherwise!

The amount of applause for the leads' first arrival on stage is extremely variable. Applause at ENB performances is not common (although Carlos received a lot on Sunday afternoon) but it seems to have become almost standard practice at the ROH and I feel quite sorry for a lead who does not get any applause when s/he enters the stage. The better known principals seem to receive the most applause, probably because they are recognised by a larger proportion of the audience. I actually quite like it in the traditional full-lengths. I don't think that it disturbs the narrative or the mood (they don't stop to acknowledge it) and it's a nice welcome for dancers who are debuting in a role. I have more of an objection to dancers stopping for applause every time they finish their dances although it seems to work ok in Sleeping Beauty - where it happens a lot - for some reason, particularly in the last act. 

• Like 1

The amount of applause for the leads' first arrival on stage is extremely variable. Applause at ENB performances is not common (although Carlos received a lot on Sunday afternoon)

As he did on Tuesday, now you come to mention it (but not from me). I can probably count on one hand the times I've applauded a lead's first entrance. The one I do remember doing was Alina Cojocaru's return from that horrible neck injury in Giselle, and that was definitely a "welcome back - thank heavens you're okay" sort of thing. Conceivably, if I'd been there, I might have done it for Yuhui Choe when she replaced Osipova in Sleeping Beauty the other month, just for encouragement. But I don't make a habit of doing it.

Maybe this ought to be in a separate thread ...

• Like 1

For the Farewell record, at about 5-30pm today, the lights went down on the dead Romeo and Juliet at the end of ENB's in-the-round season for this year.  A few moments later, they went on again to reveal Daria Klimentova and Vadim Muntagirov in a quiet embrace, saying who knows what to one another before he brought her to the front to acknowledge the Albert Hall on its feet in recognition of the end of a remarkable partnership.  Flowers appeared from fore and aft, left and right, as the company flooded the arena to acknowledge the departure of someone who, very clearly, was much loved and admired.  Gerry Cornelius and as many of the orchestra who could find a space joined in from above.  It was obviously something very special and in-house, save that a couple of thousand or so of us were allowed to participate!  Daria maintained her composure throughout and seemed delighted at her reception.  In return, she undid her pointe shoes and threw them into the audience, gave all of the Company still in costume a hug, did a few spins in exultation or relief, who can say, and finally ran off through the throng backstage.  All as natural as her performance had been, and it was a privilege to have witnessed it.

• Like 15

Ian I agree with you utterly. It was an amazing and very emotional farewell performance. The raw emotion between Daria and Vadim from start to finish had my daughter and me welling up from that first look. The expressive power of their dancing was a sad reminder of what we are going to miss, but a joyful reminder of what we had. We all gave her the accolade she more than deserved, and now all I can do is thank her and wish her lots of happiness and success in her new life.

• Like 5

Yes, indeed, a wonderful, emotional and heartfelt performance form Daria & Vadim. It was a real privilege to witness Daria's farewell. 

My thanks too for all the joy Daria has given and very best wishes for the future.

• Like 5

I've posted my thoughts about yesterday under the Romeo & Juliet topic but I would like to remind everyone that Daria celebrates her 43rd birthday today!  Hopefully she is enjoying a lovely day at home with her family and beloved cat but she told me yesterday she intends being back at morning class soon!

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed ENB's In The Round version of R&J and of course it was topped off by Daria and Vadim.  I thought the bedroom pdd in particular was really wonderful!  As others have said I wish Daria well for the future whatever it holds and a happy birthday today too!

For those who contributed to the baskets of flowers for Daria, kindly organised by Capybara, you will be delighted to know that Daria posted a photo on Facebook yesterday of herself sitting on the floor at home surrounded by ALL the baskets and bouquets with the caption "I took them all home!".

• Like 7

.....Daria posted a photo on Facebook yesterday of herself sitting on the floor at home surrounded by ALL the baskets and bouquets with the caption "I took them all home!".

Is anyone able to provide a link to this photo, please?

That made me cry all over again!

I had trouble spotting everyone who came on with bouquets; who was first on? Was it Tamara?

The first ballerina on was Erina Takahashi. So nice that someone who has also been with ENB for 18 years paid Daria that tribute.

Tamara is away guesting in MacMillan's R & J with the Queensland Ballet in Brisbane.

• Like 1

The first ballerina on was Erina Takahashi. So nice that someone who has also been with ENB for 18 years paid Daria that tribute.Tamara is away guesting in MacMillan's R & J with the Queensland Ballet in Brisbane.

Ah, thank you, capybara. :-)

To paste a link:

Highlight the URL of the link you want to paste.  Right click and copy.

On the forum, right click and paste:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/25/arts/dance/daria-klimentova-shines-at-english-national-ballet-in-romeo-and-juliet.html?_r=0

Don't forget to press enter at the end of the line so that it "blues up" as a link when you post.

To name a link - do the copy as described above. In the post, write the words you want to use and highlight them.  Then, on the line at the top of the box, next to the bulleted commands there is a small symbol that looks like a link.  Click on that, name your link and right click and paste your URL into the appropriate box:

Daria's final performance

• Like 1