Appraisals

celb

Thanks for posting that. I have just spent 2 hours watching (thought I'd just watch the first 5 mins and got sucked in!). I had a tear in my eye when D had to leave Elmhurst. It seemed such a shame for him to have to leave when dancing was clearly his passion. His friends at the Comp seemed very friendly though............Hooray for the end when it all worked out for him :).

I wonder what he is doing now?

• Like 1

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps she can't see beyond the physical and is fixated on a particular body shape meaning that someone is or is not a ballet dancer - perhaps she is jealous of your DD's admitted ability to move her with her dancing even in class doing exercises - perhaps she is just a bitter person. In any event, your DD won't have to put up with her for much longer and can hold her head high knowing that she was offered a place at the upper school despite the principal's awful comments - her standard of dance must be superlative, never mind good, as it was enough to overcome the negative comments she has been dealing with about her body shape.

Wishing her a very bright future at Ballet West and beyond!

• Like 4

Unfortunatelt Mel I think not. DD said two of the younger classes had their appraisal and several of them who did not fit the principals "body ideal" have been assessed out. These are girls who are about to have their growth spurt or are mid growth spurt! Now DD realises that she did VERY well to be offered a place even though the principal doesnt like her"form". Apparantly the rumour is that if you take your height in cm then subtract 120 that is the weight you should be. That means for an girl who is 150 cm tall she should only weigh 30kg? this seems very small to me for the height of a 12/13 year old, am I wrong? I think DD was this weight when she was 10 when she got a place at WL summer school. DD said there are corridors full of crying girls at school at the moment, poor things!

That is the height vs weight requirement for the Vaganova isn't it? Unfortunately I found out that when I was 14.... 158cm, minus 120..... 38kg, dangerously underweight. That weight nearly landed me in hospital so I don't see how young girls are supposed to maintain such a weight whilst dancing for several hours a day!!! :(

• Like 1

well im 158 cm tall like sophikas daughter and at 16 and a half i don't think there is any way possible i would be able to get down to 38kg! also take into account i will be heavier than younger kids purely due to fact ill have more bone! 

That doesn't make any sense as for each 10cm growth the increase in weight would be 10kg which is a lot! Taking the same number away would put the shorter ones at a much lower body weight than the taller ones?

• Like 2

On a normal healthy weight chart if you were 158cms your range for a healthy weight would be 45kg to 60kg

Below 45 starts to get underweight and over 60 starts to go into the first section of being over weight on the chart but not obese.

There are other similar charts.

It's quite a wide range and for myself I know at 5ft 8ins a healthy weight was between about 9and a half stones to 11 stones.

This makes sense considering people have differing frame sizes etc

Probably most people studying dance seriously and at vocational schools are more likely to have a smaller frame size so should be perhaps towards the lower end of the scale .......I'll see if I can post the actual link.

Exactly, it seems crazy to me, she will soon have a school full of dangerously thin girls, very old fashioned, we are just glad it will no longer be an issue for us, I just hope the parents who are left make a stand sooner rather than later! In the words of my DD it hasbecome more about how thin you are rather than how talented a dancer you are. The thing that really gets me is that there is no real nutritional advice, just "lose weight". Of course I have never seen any student at the school who is overweight but the principal has got a bee in her bonnet about it, who knows why but it seems she is rather out of touch with the modern view of health. I think I will have to stop discussing it because it is making my blood boil. We just want to look forward now, finish the academic exams and move on.

I think we should exercise caution when discussing teenagers' weight. The Height/Weight chart published says it applies to adults over 18 in any case; the guidelines are different for children and teenagers, and teenagers' weight and physique changes a great deal during puberty.

We've had discussions about weight and BMI on other threads so let's not duplicate it here, as this thread is about appraisals.

• Like 2

There is also a good website for children and teenagers called kidshealth.org and this explains very well why one person of a certain height/ weight might be considered over weight and another a normal weight etc.

It looks like anybody who is at least 4ft 11 ins or above in height ......should definitely not be less than 40kg in weight though.

Simultaneous posting S and P!!

Yes sorry just in response to a couple of posts above......it is amazingly easy to get drawn off topic on these threads sometimes as one responds to each other's posts!!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the link Linm but it does state that it is "not suitable for children or young adults under 18 ".

Thinness does not equate to dangerously unhealthy!

My dd is very slim and has a robust appetite she is lucky to have a naturally fast metabolism.

I find it rather insulting that someone would presume she was unhealthy or ill because she is slender .

Sorry Spanner I was typing this as the other replies were posted. .

Edited by HAIRBELLES
  • Like 1

I agree Hairbelles.

I was posting at the same time as Linn so my post has fallen back a page, but in essence I asked that we stop discussing weight and get back onto the topic of Appraisals.

Many thanks.

Edited to add: No problem, we were typing at the same time. :-)

• Like 2

Getting back to the topic of appraisals we are breathing a sigh of relief as DD has passed her year 9 reappraisal after 3 months in limbo- back in February the rest of her classmates got a yes or a no whereas our DD got a maybe.While DD was pleased that the school had enough faith in her to give her another chance to make the grade it was a highly stressful time, auditioning for and provisionally accepting vocational and associate places at other schools.It will be good news for a couple of other waiting list DCs as we hand back places.

• Like 18