Appraisals

celb

I think the whole audition process is stressful enough, I can't imagine how parents feel during appraisals.  To receive a poor appraisal after your first two terms must be dreadful for children (and parents) as they are still surely just settling in to a new way of life?

• Like 1

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Settling in depends on the child. Some settle straight away and others never do.

The appraisal is stressful regardless but it is something you are aware of right from the start and indeed its one reason why I initially didnt want my ds to go. I still think schools could help ease the situation by having a designated member of staff appointed to help families of those who do get assessed out. I for one would have felt better had I known there was somoene on hand to help advise on the next step.

As it is we got a warning letter in year 8 but ulimately ds "survived" and is now dancing professionally.

The best year to try and get into is year 10 because then you are safe until year 11, have saved a fortune on fees even with mds, you have a teenager ready to go rather than a young child and most of all you dont have appraisal stress which is awful.

I will hasten to add though that for my ds going in yr7 was right for all sorts of reasons!

• Like 4

I get your point but I think I can safely say that noone would have wanted to swap places with me or my son on the day his letter came from WL that February half term, telling him he wasn't being offend a further year's training. It was 7 years ago and it still brought a tear to my eye when I was telling someone about it only a couple of weeks ago!

• Like 12

Must be awful as not only are they leaving the dance side but also having to move schools, leave friends etc. seems more personal being asked to leave than not getting through an audition too. Hope no-one ends up in that position c

• Like 1

Must be awful as not only are they leaving the dance side but also having to move schools, leave friends etc. seems more personal being asked to leave than not getting through an audition too. Hope no-one ends up in that position c

I suppose if you`ve never been there there is nothing to miss. But to have to say goodbye to all those experiences and friends must be utterly heartbreaking.

I get your point but I think I can safely say that noone would have wanted to swap places with me or my son on the day his letter came from WL that February half term, telling him he wasn't being offend a further year's training. It was 7 years ago and it still brought a tear to my eye when I was telling someone about it only a couple of weeks ago!

I remember it too. What a bittersweet day that was, sheer relief for us then floods of tears over ds best friend and you still had it in your generous heart to congratulate us.

No one who hasnt been through the experience can fully understand just how stressful it is. My heart goes out to all parents and pupils undergoing appraisals right now.

• Like 9

You also had a term and a half of school to get through knowing you had to leave in the summer but still participate fully in school life including dancing in summer fairs.  Regarding support from the school there was none and one of the hardest conversations I had was asking if DS could attend the open day at his new school (I asked even though I guessed it would be a no) and we were told it was his choice to leave and if he went to the open day he couldn't be in the defile!!

I have to say though DS and the others assessed out with him that year took it all in their stride and got on with it. 

But like Julie's DS it's worked out for our DS in the end and I'm off to see him in his's companies premiere of Cinderella next weekend.

• Like 17

Just to balance things out. My son was accepted into Year 8 at WL. By the time appraisals came around it was clear that he didn't want to carry on into Year 9. It was very stressful for him and upsetting for all, but it was clear that no way would he pass his appraisals in the state he was in. The heads of both dance and academics took much time to speak with him and us on various occasions with much of the contact being initiated from them. It was decided that he would be the first ever student to not sit the appraisals on the understanding that he would leave at the end of the year as they were concerned that process of failing the appraisal would affect him too greatly.

Afterwards both heads were just as supportive in ensuring we made a positive exit and found the right next step for him. I honestly couldn't fault them.

He is now Year 10, so this only happened fairly recently. It may be that there has been a real shift in how they respond to students assessed out.

I only share this to ensure any currently anxiously parents that should the worst happen, they may not find a lack of support. I obviously do not want to undermine the experiences of other parents, and I hope no one takes offence, and I am sure that have things improved then this will be welcomed by all.

• Like 14

You also had a term and a half of school to get through knowing you had to leave in the summer but still participate fully in school life including dancing in summer fairs.  Regarding support from the school there was none and one of the hardest conversations I had was asking if DS could attend the open day at his new school (I asked even though I guessed it would be a no) and we were told it was his choice to leave and if he went to the open day he couldn't be in the defile!!

That sounds absolutely disgraceful.  It is almost as if once they have decided a child is not going to continue, as far as the school is concerned they are no longer given the courtesy and consideration that future fee payers are given. 

I am so glad it worked out for your son in the end, and no doubt a large part of that is down to your excellent parenting skills in helping him deal with the situation.

Incidentally, how does this assessment take place?  Is it based on their performance throughout the previous terms, or is there an official exam class where outsiders come in and give an independent view?  Some years ago, I remember a friend received a letter saying her child had been assessed and was not being given further training.  She had no idea when this had taken place, and worse still, neither did the girl. 

This seemed very unfair, especially as the previous year she had been told her daughter had real potential and was very promising.  She was shocked to be told her daughter was not considered suitable, with no real explanation, and her daughter was left completely baffled and devastated.   She was struggling with problems with her feet, which the teachers were aware of. After she left, a change of pointe shoe worked wonders. 

• Like 1

It is a bit brutal, but you do know when you go to the school (I can only speak for going to WL and Elmhurst as that's where we've been), as Tabitha said, that it's for a year at a time and they will be assessed.

To answer someone else's question, at those schools it's a panel who watch and your result is a combination of their marks on the day (although I suspect the director has final say!)

• Like 1

Of course it is all a matter of opinion, one teacher sees potential another thinks the same dancer lacks talent. But, rationally I would expect pupils to be assessed out rarely.  That it seems to happen so frequently make me wonder if the initial selection criteria or the subsequent training are in some way flawed or contradictory.

• Like 5