Appraisals

celb

In all the excitement on current threads over auditions please spare a thought for all the vocational DCs who are having their appraisals in the next couple of weeks.Wishing all the best to all DCs that they perform to their potential and positive vibes to all the anxious parents out there.

• Like 19

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They can get very stressed about it. The Elmhurst students don't get assessed out of year 7 (or 8?) but they still get a letter effectively saying whether they passed it or not. Things are evolving all the time there with Robert Parker now in charge so the letters may be different from "my day".

Students have been assessed out of WL year 7 so they're bound to be nervous. Waiting for these letters is far worse than any audition result imho!

• Like 2

In all the excitement on current threads over auditions please spare a thought for all the vocational DCs who are having their appraisals in the next couple of weeks.Wishing all the best to all DCs that they perform to their potential and positive vibes to all the anxious parents out there.

Best wishes to your dd celb will be thinking of her x

• Like 2

Hammond students last week had the extra stress of the Inspectors at the school, sitting in on assessments, looking at their IPS and A level folders, interviewing them and visiting some of their houses to inspect the accommodation too.

Two different lots of inspectors for upper school too - ISI for the whole school & Trinity for the diploma assessments.

Stressful week (dd was asked about the food) & done of her friends about boarding accommodation.

They can get very stressed about it. The Elmhurst students don't get assessed out of year 7 (or 8?) but they still get a letter effectively saying whether they passed it or not. Things are evolving all the time there with Robert Parker now in charge so the letters may be different from "my day".

Students have been assessed out of WL year 7 so they're bound to be nervous. Waiting for these letters is far worse than any audition result imho!

Can't remember who told me but was talking to an Elmhurst parent around chrustmas time (might have been at the pickford workshop) who said that they will be starting to assess out in all years in the future (though current intake are safe as they entered the school having been told only year 9 were assessed out)

Can't remember who told me but was talking to an Elmhurst parent around chrustmas time (might have been at the pickford workshop) who said that they will be starting to assess out in all years in the future (though current intake are safe as they entered the school having been told only year 9 were assessed out)

Until you see it in writing from the senior management of the school I would take it all with a pinch of salt! I have always been amazed by the various bits of information I have heard via other parents or my dc from peers but when I have asked a member of staff for confirmation it is often the first they have heard of it.

The whole school finds appraisal time stressful, not a lot we can do other than keep calm and offer words of encouragement to our dc. They will do their best on the day whatever the eventually outcome.

• Like 4

I find that hard to believe as we were told that Robert Parker's inclination was in the opposite direction on the induction day only a few months ago . I would also take that with a pinch of salt , though obviously if a student is complety unsuitable for the training then assessing out at any stage must be an option !

I have to say having been at The Hammond last Monday the staff were very calm or at least portrayed being calm about the inspection to come. As a teacher myself I was impressed at their level of focus on the auditioning DCs considering that the inspection must have been weighing heavily on their minds..... or maybe they are just all really good actors!

• Like 3

Just wanted to add our very best wishes to everybody going through the appraisal process. 

I remember how stressful it was this time last year and how very supportive and helpful people were :). We were lucky and DD moved into year 10, but had that not been the case it was great to know that there were people out there who would have been happy to listen and advise.

Good luck everyone - I do think these are the worst letters/results to wait for (although next year if and when DD auditions for upper schools I might change my mind!) 

• Like 4

There are a few of us "regulars" on the board who have had bad news letters after appraisals/assessments.  I just want to say that if the worst happens, and you get that horrible letter in half term (or whenever) and you need someone to talk to, please feel free to send me a PM with your number (or just chat online).  I'd like to think I've helped a few people over the years - it really is a dreadful time, but you do get through it.

• Like 15