Dancers and body hair

JulieW

Some friends and I have been having a discussion about our dancing children (and young adults) and the issue of body hair and I thought it was time to spread the debate wider :)

Most photos of dancers show pretty hair-free bodies but do the ladies shave, wax or use cream? Do the men leave hair under their arm-pits or not? What about hairy chests/legs????

This might sound like a trivial discussion, but once we started talking about it we realised how many others were wondering the same thing but were afraid to ask :D:rolleyes:

• Like 6

Well I always shaved!!!

Don't think its an issue at the moment with my son as I think his costumes pretty much cover him! However I did joke that perhaps he didn't need his wolf mask if he kept forgetting to shave :D !

My ds doesn't shave, my dd does. However she doesn't have a lot of body hair so she is lucky. He will have to start shaving his face eventually, but don't think he will be that keen to shave legs and underarms! I think most male dancers I have seen still have hairy legs and armpits. Btw while we're on embarrassing subjects, how do girls deal with monthlies when they are quite heavy and can't use tampons? Pads and leotards don't really go, do they?

Interesting debate!!

I went to watch Nederlands Dans Theater 2 last week (amazing! :) ) and did wonder this to myself as I watched one of the female dancers in very tight nude shorts being lifted into compromising positions. I decided that only a full Hollywood would have been sufficient! :D

I know my 15 year old DD spends hours in the bathroom shaving her armpits and is very self-conscious about 5 o'clock shadow.

Thank you Julie; I've been wondering about this for some time! I used to have very fine blonde hair on my legs as a teenager, but either shaving or (more likely) hormonal problems eventually turned it black. Several years of waxing now means it's much finer but it's still black which means that you can see it in between waxes.

I've been trying to explain to my dd that her best bet is to leave things alone for now as she has very fine blonde hair, but it will be interesting to see if it stays so blonde once she starts to use cream or wax.

Very glad I'm not the only one who has pondered this issue....!

Btw while we're on embarrassing subjects, how do girls deal with monthlies when they are quite heavy and can't use tampons? Pads and leotards don't really go, do they?

I guess by using progesterone only contraception devices, or taking the combined pilll without a break as eventually menstruation stops altogether.

Even worse if you're a lap dancer! :D

Edited by Kitschqueen_1
  • Like 1

The dancers I know used to wax when at vocational school and as a professional they all had laser treatment. Most were rather hairy (or what they perceived as being hairy) and had their back, arms, legs and bikini area treated for permanent hair removal.

• Like 1

The dancers I know used to wax when at vocational school and as a professional they all had laser treatment. Most were rather hairy (or what they perceived as being hairy) and had their back, arms, legs and bikini area treated for permanent hair removal.

Gosh.... laser treatment sounds expensive but i guess it pays for itself in the longer term

Edited by Kitschqueen_1

Thanks for bringing up a subject I must admit I'd frequently wondered about, but never liked to ask :)

I certainly remember hearing about a rather hirsute dancer who was wearing one of those chest-exposing all-in-ones getting his chest hair trimmed (but not shaved) so that his ballerina didn't get a mouthful of hair during one of the complicated lifts in the ballet.

Exfoliating pads are fine for legs, except that they may miss out the odd hair in dips in the skin (like around the ankles), and can't be used on the feet, so a backup method will be needed for stray hairs.

Messing around with your hormones is not something that can be done long-term without risk to the body, of course.

• Like 1

Gotta love this topic :D Funnily enough, my dd who is only 11 has recently become self-conscious about her rather hairy legs! I was actually really upset with her when I saw that she had shaved them, I really don't think she should be bothered about it at her age.

• Like 4

my DD started waxing at 11and took herself off for a bikini wax at 15! i was not particually impressed when i found out about the bikini but i understood her view now i think she waxes everything but her head lol (and tampons from 12 after a comment about someone seeing the pad outline :) )