All England Dance Finals

BankruptMum

My foggy old brain I seem to remember being told that if a dance had reach the finals previously, regardless of whether or not it placed at finals, it couldnt be used again at future finals?

Is this correct or am I having a senior moment?!

Many thanks for your thoughts.

It would be good to have another opinion Billyelliott if you dont mind asking but dont go out of your way.

Its not a problem to reuse a dance after placing first at a regular festival - some dancers would need a new one each time!  I thought it was only an issue if you had performed a solo at the finals whether or not you had placed.  I will also ask our teacher and compare notes! :-)

Teachers reply is that you only need a new dance if you win and when asked specifically about being put through to the finals , but not being placed said that she was sure you CAN use the dance again !

Guess we would have to email the All England team for the definitive answer , but that makes sense to me !

Edited by Billyelliott

That's my understanding too for solos.  I think for groups, if they come first at finals, they are allowed to enter the same choreography the next competition but then not for 2 subsequent competitions regardless of the placing at the second competition. If that makes sense!

• Like 1

My understanding of the rules are the same , that you can't enter the same group/choreography for two subsequent All England years (so effectively 4 years ) this probably applies more to groups than solos as schools have been inclined to swap the children and keep the same music/chore/costumes for years on end . 

I've emailed to ask for clarification - don't hold your breath for a response - I seem to remember them taking a long time in the past when I tried contacting them.

While on there I found a useful guide for teachers that had all kinds of information about what they like to see at regional finals - about the music, costumes, styles etc.  I can't seem to copy the link at the moment, but if you search for "All England Dance rules" and then click on the "Notes for teachers" it makes interesting reading.

On the right hand side of the page is the link to the latest newsletter which gives information about the changes for the next competition.

I'll let you know if I hear from them about the rules concerning "re-dancing" choreography.

Had a look at the rules , and it appears that this thinking only applies to groups ;

Rule 11  .......A School with a group placed 1st at the national finals may enter a group with the same choreography in the next competition but thereafter not for the subsequent TWO competitions , regardless of the placing achieved on the second occasion .

Hope this helps .