adult recreational dancers' trend watch - what's in, what's out, what is all time no-no

mimi66

Going off the topic sorry, but I was also interested to read Anjuli's comments about tutus and pirouettes. My DD got a new tutu a few months and was complaining that she felt out of balance doing pirouettes wearing it as the skirt was a bit bigger than her last one. So I boldly took the kitchen scissors to it and cut off an inch or so all round and all of a straight away she was pirouetting happily again. I assumed it was psychological as I couldn't believe that reducing the diameter of the skirt by a couple of inches would make any physical difference, but maybe I was wrong?

• Like 2

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ballet class attire - I think the dominant colour in the class tends to be what is on offer on DanceDirect! :D

I wonder what colour leo is the fave of the moment (other than black)...  Royal blue?

About 8 years ago, green was suddenly an "in" colour.  I think we started to see on stage (comtemporary works) a lot of green leotards and that sat the tone of the day.

I tend to choose dark colour like hues of purple/wine/garnet, mostly because all my classes are in the evening, and I tend to choose the colour that looks nice under the evening lighting.

LinMM, I think raspberry is a nice colour, as long as they are not shiny!

IMHO, white leotards are all time class room no-no... unless you have a dark complextion.  We once had this poor girl (then in her late 20's, very slim) who wore her new white leotard in the class and came in late... One could hear the pin drop! 

well, she never wore that whilte leotard again, much to our relief...

• Like 2

Ahhhh!!!! My pale yellow Degas leotard and gorgeous skirt have come from Just Ballet! *drolls over them as they are so glorious and mentally chooses two more Degas leotards because they are to die for!* Thank you so much, Sheila! :D

• Like 6

Hi Mimi

My raspberry leo at the weekend was shiny and definitely not pastel. As for white no problem for me shiny or not, it’s all a question of confidence, this gal goes where others fear to tread.

I do like royal blue; I once did a performance with two girls in lovely royal blue tutu’s with just a little bit of white in the tully. I was flanked on either side by one of these girls in their royal blue, I was in my white sequinned Odette tutu from Sheila, it was a really beautiful combination, I wished a photo had been taken of it at the time.

Shame that being confident (or anything else, for that matter!) doesn't fix my bowed leggs, nor give me an extra inche or two to my height. :(

Although my bowed legs look better if I use my turnout when standing in 6th position. :)

Edited by mimi66

I think paler colours go better with pink tights - I know it's just me, but I just do, at least on me.  I would like to wear more white tights, but the fact one needs to wear pink tights under leotards puts me off - wth black you can wear it over the leotard and it makes life a lot simpler - aside from the regular forestry work!

I know if you are doing RAD you don't have much choice but wear pink tights, but as I do non- syllabus class  tend to stick to black footless tights.

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 1

A very silly question here (so what's new with me!):

Do any of you consider, when you are buying dancewear or otherwise, whether it is a colour that complements your skin tone?

Many years ago I was "colour co-ordinated" and came out as a winter so colours like black, white, certain shades of red basically make me look fabulous (well by my usual standards anyway).  Whereas if I wear brown or orange I look ill!

If so much black is predominant do most people look washed out?  Does it matter?  Is the moon made of green cheese?

• Like 1

I think it's got to be pink tights with pastels and prob better with most colours actually.

I hope black does drain out some of the tomato cheeks I have during class Janet! I do think that most people either suit black or brown, not both. Brown is horrible on me! All I really worry about is flabby bits, rolls of flesh and sweat patches which black does a very good job to camoflage!

• Like 2

I'm wearing purple leotard, pink tights with black shorts.  The leotard is an old one when I was doing G6/7 when my DD is still a baby.  I also saw some others wearing black tights over the leo.  I was wondering if I'm not in the trend ...... :P

Pink tights in, black tights over... I guess it is just a convention, if that is the word, kkmom.

But I have seen Miko Forgaty wearing pink tights over her leo in one of the comtemporary class at last years Prix de Lausanne, so I guess it is not set in stone.

I love that look, pink tights under the leo with a black shorts over!

Edited by mimi66

To Janet's question.....yes I do want the colour to suit me!! I look best in Navy Blue but black looks okay. Greens also suit me but wouldn't t be seen dead in a green leotard ......well as I said not yet anyway!!

I love the pastels in the Degas leotards but am not ready for them just yet either.

Yet I wear loads of pastels in the summer in ordinary clothes so why not in a leotard?

I think it's this. That you are very exposed both physically and emotionally in a ballet class......nothing to hide behind.....except perhaps ones leotard/ dance gear etc!!!

If I was a really super dancer then I probably wouldn't need to hide so much!! But if you are so exposed you've got to look good in what you are doing.....at least that's how my thinking goes but perhaps just shows a lack of confidence in my dancing!!!

Putting on the black degas leotard the other day was a great feeling though as it really is stylish not just a plain old leotard and it got me thinking perhaps Ive been wearing jeans for too long!!! I may need to get back to some more "feminine" looking clothes now!!

When Ive lost that extra stone.....nearly there.....and can hold my leg looking good at let's say 70- 80 degrees I think there will be no stopping me with dance wear!! I could be in raspberry yet........though dusky pinks suit my colouring better!!

Yet I it got me thinking perhaps Ive been wearing jeans for too long!!! I may need to get back to some more "feminine" looking clothes now!!

I hope when we do LAB’s Spring Intensive and go and see Sleeping Beauty at ROH you bring your best evening gown. One has to keep up appearances and be seen.

• Like 1

Glad you like the Leo's Fiz and Lin! There really is a glorious rainbow of colours available from Degas - and the front lining and Meryl fabric helps absorb sweat on the lighter colours! But, I'm still in a black Degas...with bright skirt.

But in my day clothes I shy away from pastels too. I had the colour advice thing many years ago and was told I shouldn't wear all the colours I love, including black! I decided to wear what I feel comfortable in and I guess that's true of my dance wear too!

However, pink tights over Leo's is very common amongst prof dancers - but yuk! It just looks wrong! :D black tights, look better, especially GM sweater tights, but I'm just indoctrinated into wearing pink tights, I guess it's like a bun, and turning away from the bar when you change sides, it would feel wrong dancing any other way!

• Like 2

I am not sure at the moment what to do with my hair.  It's got a bit too long to have it in a bun (I have a lot of hair... they are heavy).

Thinking about having a cut, just above the shoulder, and wear a hair band like Alicia Alonso...

• Like 3

Another roll of lace fabric arrived today Fiz!

Mimi I've always had long hair and although I quite fancy a bob, the bun situation holds me back :D Hairdressers always find it amusing when they suggest layers and I tell them it needs to be long enough for a bun for ballet! Maybe an Alice band is the way forward :)

• Like 2

I am not sure at the moment what to do with my hair.  It's got a bit too long to have it in a bun (I have a lot of hair... they are heavy).

Thinking about having a cut, just above the shoulder, and wear a hair band like Alicia Alonso...

Maybe your hairdresser could give you suggestions on other ways to do your hair for ballet? She/he could maybe show you how to do different types of buns?

Your hairdresser should be able to advise you.  Our hairdresser is used to dancers and bun requirements as she has some of her own.  As long as the hair (or layers within it) can go into a ponytail, you can have a bun - or so she tells me.  Shorter lengths for side fringes etc are plaited and pinned.  And somehow for her DDs hair - quite a short bob - she can make 2 small low pony tail slightly higher than the nape of the neck and each side of a central parting and somehow she manages a bun from that.  So yes, talk to your hairdresser and see what they suggest.

Well, I shall take up your advice and consult my (long suffering) hair dresser next time I go for a cut.  Thanks Dancer Sugar Plum and 2dancersmum!

Actually I am putting off seeing him because somehow he wants my hair shorter - I have been resisting this by not visiting his salon for months on end.

Having said that, at the moment I am fixated about the idea of hairband... Not Alice band (never), but the way the great Alicia Alonso wear (wore) them.  Marlene Dietrich swore the instant facelift effect of such hairbands, so that may be the way to go...

Not that I need the facelift just yet.  But never too early to prepare for the (nearing) future... :D

• Like 2

I think it’s always a good idea to let your hairdresser know you do ballet so they understand why you want to keep your hair long and not try to persuade you to cut it short if that's not what you want to do.

On the subject of leotard colours, I was wondering if it was true that you shouldn’t wear red to class? I have read in a ballet book that it is off-putting to wear red. I assume they mean actual red rather than burgundy. Perhaps it’s off-putting for the teacher? But another book said it does no harm to wear a red leotard on particular occaisons, such as auditions. I’m just curious to know if it’s actually a ‘bad’ thing to wear red to class, or if this is just a myth. Not that I have a red leotard, or was thinking of getting one, I am just curious!

From a teacher’s point-of-view, is it (or would it be) off-putting to teach class if one or two dancers were wearing red? Or have people ever worn red to class and got into 'trouble' for it?

Edited by Dancer Sugar Plum

I had very heavy long hair - I could easily sit on it.  It always went up into a bun and I don't recall it ever coming down.  

I  made two pony tails - one above the other.

The higher one I twisted the long length of it tightly, then curled and pinned it into a bun.

Then I took the lower pony tail, twisted that one tightly, too,  and wrapped it around the edge of the bun, pinning as I went.

I used very long heavy duty hair pins.

The real trick is how the pins are inserted.  You aim the pin outward through the edge of the bun, and then turn the pin inward into the bun to anchor it.  This pin trick was shown to me by a very old teacher.  I don't know why it works better than just aiming the pin straight in - but it does. If I aimed the pins straight in, they just popped back out.

As for the double pony tail trick - I saw that done on a dance documentary "Dancing at the Kirov".

• Like 2

I know of no convention which says that red leotards are bad. It always depends where you are wearing it but if it's for recreational purposes then you can wear whatever colour you want. I think different people and body types lend themselves better to certain styles/colours of leotards. A trusted friend I am sure can always give feedback or I am sure most teachers would be able to advise on what cut of leotard suits body type. I reckon some of the dance shops would be good with this too as they know their stock and have seen it on dancers. Sheila may have some input in this area?

• Like 3

I know of no convention which says that red leotards are bad.

Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think this has been mentioned?

I wear, or rather used to wear red leotards a lot to class - particularly when I was tired and needed a bit of energy boost.  One of my favourite colour and it looks nice in the artificial light.

I should buy a new red leotard... the one I had I wore and wore and wore - no lycra contents left in it!

• Like 2