Royal ballet school MA auditions and touching of feet!!!

Nancy19

My daughter attended her MA audition this weekend, whilst in a group of around 20 girls, there were around 4 JA girls. When she came out and told us how it went she said that the 'judges' came over and bent her feet forwards and back then twisted her arms and wrists and felt her hips. This was obviously to be expected, but they only did this to her and 3 others. Her dancing friends went into audition after and they said that nobody was 'touched'. Now I feel worried that this was a bad thing. She is 11, grade 5 RAD, and istd interfoundation. Her ballet teacher always comments on her naturally arched foot and loose hips. Just wondered if anyone knew of this happening at RBS auditions and could shed any light on why they only do this to some girls.

Sorry this is my first post, I'm have no previous experience of this and just thought someone could help. Many thanks

It shows that they were interested in her!

No doubt they saw what her teacher sees and needed to check things such as actual degree of flexibility, whether its even both sides and whether hips are level for example.

Your dd should be proud that whatever the outcome she was definately noticed in the audition!

But I hasten to add to anyone out there who didn't get the hands on treatment, that that doesn't mean that they werent noticed too!!

• Like 8

hfbrew - love your last comment....because the question posed by Nancy21 makes me immediately think - oooh...they didn't do a hands on check of my DDs flexibility so does that mean they're not interested in her...

I would also think that they would only check feet and joints if they were interested...so I'd take that as a good sign...whilst at the same time hoping that it doesn't mean they're not interested in my DD!!!

Oh the fun of these auditions....we're always second guessing ourselves...and while we can cheerfully say "what will be, will be" we find it devilishly difficult not to ponder all the different scenarios! :)

• Like 9

My DD's friend got finals a couple of times and was always looked at closely and manipulated. She eventually got into WL in yr10. Being hands on means they were definitely considering her. I suspect some children are knocked off the list early on due to physique then they continue to look closely at others. If you have a high arabesque for example then that's fine but if you have a low one they may see if you have the potential to improve it. It does mean she was still being considered at that point in the audition but that's all you can say. Too much hip rotation can also be a problem (which a current mid is suffering from) so they may also be checking that. At least you know she was not discounted at the start. Fingers crossed for her!

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for the advice. We have to wait until March to find out the results, so keeping fingers crossed for a place. She was put on the waiting list at 8, for JA but didn't end up with a place, so really hoping this time is a 'yes', but will keep on thinking 'no' so not to disappointed! Any other advice will be greatly received. Many thanks x