Bit of a moan about DD's (academic) school

Pups_mum

Unfortunately I think however worthwhile festivals maybe, the 'straight educators' as Legseleven calls them, will have no understanding of what they involve - at least not on paper. They might not have much understanding of dance training at all but an exam result is at least a grade to show achievement. At interview the merits of both could be explained, but not on paper.

Not dance but I worried about my niece's choice of A-levels - media studies and drama - and was talking to a friend who happened to be a Career's Advisor.  She told me all the "selling points" about these A-levels that could be used as part of a CV when looking for a job.  She really set my mind at rest.

When people are looking for jobs, evidence of drive and dedication (which dancers surely have) can count for a lot.  It's a shame that so many schools can seem so short-sighted.

My dd was offered her degree place [bA hons in dance, performance and teaching] only on her dance level and grades making up the required UCAS points not on A levels [does not have any A levels or BTEC's] and completed this by the age of 19 now doing her PGCE. All activities are important but you have to show that the skills learnt are transferable and useful in what ever you decide to do or apply for.

• Like 1