Questions about Associate (or similar) auditions 2014

JulieW

Just wanted to ask if anybody's DS is auditioning for JA's this year? My DS is going to associate experience day in Birmingham next Sunday. I have to say that I'm much more relaxed with my DS auditioning then I was with my DD 2 years ago. Probably it's because I know more, am "experienced associate parent"... But I feel a bit guilty about it, it's like I care less ( but of course I do care!)

• Like 2

Feeling a bit sad...

My son is auditioning for JA's, like his sister a couple of years ago. She was offered a place and (because we live in quite a small town) it was in the local newspaper, school assembly etc.

My DS asked me today to talk to his head teacher and make sure that if he is offered a JA place no one will mention it at school assembly etc. When I asked why he said that other boys will make fun of him saying that ballet is for girls :-(

Of course I asked if that happened already and he said it did, but about a year ago and just once or twice. But he remembers...

So sad... Not sure what to think and what to tell him.

• Like 2

Its so sad that In this day and age boys have to go through this . Best let him decide who to tell and when ......we did eventually get asked to let him dance a solo at the school concert , but he refused to dance his ballet solo ..... It had to be a modern one ! Still a reasonable compromise

My ds has also had this problem. When he got into Ja's I was so proud but like your son, he asked for it not to be mentioned at all in school. I was gutted as obviously very proud but as it turned out the school showed such little interest because it was not sport that they never even asked if he had got through.

To be honest I don't think you will ever stop immature boys teasing boys like ours who have the guts to do something other than football. Gradually my son has come around to happily allow his dancing to be acknowledged by his friends and male cousins. I told him that the teasing is ignorance and embarrassment on their part and that he makes me very proud for being the only boy in his school doing ballet. My ds is very quiet and reserved but he has got through it and tells me he will never stop dancing no matter what they say. A boy last week asked him if he danced in a tutu but he just told him that he usually dances in shorts.

A lady I know once told me a funny story about her son who is a hairdresser and excellent figure skater. His so called friends were teasing him about being gay. "Well guys you are the ones getting naked in the showers with other blokes after football. Is that because you like looking at naked men? I am the one surrounded by gorgeous girls in skimpy outfits, enough said"

Your ds will be fine. Just keep an eye open and keep things in check.

• Like 3

Its so sad that In this day and age boys have to go through this . Best let him decide who to tell and when ......we did not tell the school about his being a JA and although he was in the newspapers , it was never mentioned at school but eventually he got asked to let him dance a solo at the school concert , but he refused to dance his ballet solo ..... It had to be a modern one ! Still a reasonable compromise.

At one point he has so much time off to dance in "the Dream " on the Royal Opera House Stage , that they other boys were jealous of him ! Still not one of his class ever came to watch a single one of his many festival or competition performances !

Edited because I had missed out half of it ! Then found I was too late to edit it !

• Like 2

We were lucky to have a small school with very supportive friends and staff, but my son's response to any negative comments was that he was probably fitter, stronger, faster and could jump higher than them... and he got to meet lots of fit girls.

Anyway - let's get back to associate auditions - threes another thread somewhere that might help parents of boys as we've discussed this a lot before - or maybe start a new one.

I'm going to change the title of this thread to take out the bit about results, as we're nowhere near that point yet! :-) Let's carry on the discussion here to give eachother advice about the auditions themselves.

• Like 3

so sad to read about what can only described as bullying for being male in the dance areana - i hope he keeps it up and doesnt get pressured into stopping by the narrow minded others :)

i guess there are no other 'newbie form fillers' reading this post as yet... and i dont think i have any more questions at the moment - you've all been so helpful! :)  

ps i've concluded that DD's hair apt this eve needs to be kept, but as little as poss taken off

My DS had a great time at JA experience day at Birmingham today. I'm still not sure which centre we want to apply for. We have been told today that due to some studio changes (refurbishment?) the Burmingham JA lessons in Autumn term will be on Sundays instead of Saturdays. Could anyone tell me what time are the Birmingham JA 1 and JA 2 at the moment?

Hi Twiglet, yes, the lesson was great! My DS (the tall dark boy) really enjoyed it. Wonder if I'll remember your DD? hope she had a good time.

Yes I remember Sylvia said something about 1 pm but I need more detailed Information also about the Y6 (JA2). Hope that somebody knows.

read on another site, that the ones that are selected are often 'required' to attend workshops in London - any comments on this gratefully recieved - wondering if its just the London class children?

Hi, my dd only did year 6 JAs and she attended a 2 day workshop in the October half term. It was for all the year 6 JAs from all the centres, it wasn't compulsory but nearly all of them attended, think only about 7 didn't. I'm pretty sure there are workshops for each year group at some point during the year. She also had the opportunity to watch a Royal ballet company rehearsal at the opera house, this was open for all the associates, certainly mids and JAs and I think seniors as well.

Happymum, ah,you must have been in the earlier session because the boy in my dd's group was blond!

Anyway, I have info which may help you and others: I called RBS and asked them about times of JA classes and CURRENT times (which may change for 14/15) are Manchester fri/sun 1.15-3.30, Leeds 12.15-2.30, Birmingham 1.30-3.45. These are for year 5 groups but I know at the JA day yesterday she said year 6 at Birmingham was later than the year 4/5 group. I hope that helps a bit! It's a minefield isn't it!

You are right Twiglet, we were in the earlier group.

Thank you for posting the times. I hope that Birmingham JA parents will be able to help. It looks like the Y6 class doesn't finish till 6:15! Very late (if true). We won't be back home till after 8pm and there will be school next day...

But I should call or email RBS to make sure

Hi Happymum. My eldest does SA'S at Birmingham and the yr6 JA's seems to be at the same time in a different studio. They do come out at 6:15. We are several hours away so eat there before heading home. It is on a Saturday not a Sunday though so no school the next day. As there is only a choice of 2 venues for SA's many of us travel long distances but obviously feel the training is worth it.

Thank you Balletmumfor2, I thought it might be till 6:15. We have been told yesterday that autumn term will be on Sunday instead of Saturday, so it will be school next day. Of course the training is worth it but I'm just trying to decide which centre to attend so am thinking about everything.