Upper school audition results 2014

Frangapani

At RBS and Elmhurst current year 11s auditioned alongside external applicants at finals (I believe they had their own prelims and ENBS visited the other schools to assess them for places at finals) Many were successful and hence very few places available to external applicants especially at RBS who had also already confirmed places for some overseas candidates and then took a large number of their (very talented) year 11 pupils.

So ENBS visited Elmhurst and assessed Year 11 students for places at ENBS? I am confused Kat09! Why would Elmhurst facilitate this - don't they want to hang on to their 'best' students?  (I don't have a DC at any of these schools by the way).  Or am I naive/missing the point?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IBD23....What ENBS wants is not necessarily what Elmhurst is looking for (or RBS, or Northern, or Rambert etc etc....) That's the fact, there is no exact science to this dancing world.....(and then you get to the company auditions.....)phew.... x

So ENBS visited Elmhurst and assessed Year 11 students for places at ENBS? I am confused Kat09! Why would Elmhurst facilitate this - don't they want to hang on to their 'best' students?  (I don't have a DC at any of these schools by the way).  Or am I naive/missing the point?

Hi IBD23 yes they do indeed visit the other vocational schools (RBS included) I guess the reality is that not all pupils will remain in situ and there will be some movement between establishments for those that are either not successful in their original school or would like to move for whatever reason. If you have a child at the school already feel lucky - much less rushing around for you than for non vocational applicants during the preliminary auditions.

Thanks Ellie. For my DD auditioning for next year, it doesn't sound like a very level playing field with the schools looking at each other's students without them having to travel to do a first audition. Though I am sure if she is talented enough she will gain a place at the right school for her - hope so anyway!

• Like 2

I suppose that it's more efficient for staff at ENBS to travel to Elmhurst rather than a large number of year 11s to travel to London, which takes time away from their studies and dance training in their very busy GCSE year. I think that it's good that Elmhurst facilitates this. They probably realise that if a student wants to move to another school (and is offered a place) they won't be able to stop him/her from leaving. Plus, as has already been said, a student whom one school does not want to keep may appeal to another school. Sadly, there must be some year 11 vocational school students who are not accepted by any of the upper schools.

Hi IBD23 yes they do indeed visit the other vocational schools (RBS included) I guess the reality is that not all pupils will remain in situ and there will be some movement between establishments for those that are either not successful in their original school or would like to move for whatever reason. If you have a child at the school already feel lucky - much less rushing around for you than for non vocational applicants during the preliminary auditions.

Thanks Kat.  I posted at the same time as you with the similar thought about preliminary auditions. 

Hi Lala - you have definitive knowledge so obviously what I understood was not true. I was told by a pupil at RBS that those from White lodge are seen separately and do not attend the preliminary auditions. The audition year is a steep learning curve with lots of misinformation along with some that is very pertinent. It is great to hear the definitive from those that have the answers.

• Like 2

Hi Lala - you have definitive knowledge so obviously what I understood was not true. I was told by a pupil at RBS that those from White lodge are seen separately and do not attend the preliminary auditions. The audition year is a steep learning curve with lots of misinformation along with some that is very pertinent. It is great to hear the definitive from those that have the answers.

Well what you were told by the White Lodge pupil is probably true, certainly this was the case when my ds was in year 11.

• Like 2

The year 11 at White Lodge are, I believe, seen in class by the AD from Elmhurst, ENBS and Central. Some are then offered finals at those schools. Some also choose to audition elsewhere - abroad, Rambert, musical theatre etc.

The year 11 at Elmhurst did the audition trawl the same as the non vocational students trying for sixth form this year.

All students from both schools went through to the finals of their current school alongside the other candidates. The Elmhurst students were constantly being told competition was high and regardless of their record no promises could be made about sixth form.

The only advantage/disadvantage they had was being told in person if they had a place the day before the letters went out. Great for those with a place but not so easy if it was a no. Having to cope with a no miles from your family, having to tell them by phone and then pick yourself up, slap a smile on your face and walk back into a dance class and carry on dancing.

• Like 6

Whatever the results the process is brutal - it's interesting to note that at Hamburg candidates are told the results on the day - in my mind a far more efficient and more humane approach - what do others think? 

• Like 1

In most of the schools I know abroad, the results are given on the day. I have to say I quite like it and there are so many "nos" compared to "yesses" that one doesn't feel as bad getting a "no"... When alone at home in front of a letter or an email, it's difficult not to feel that one is much worse than the other applicants...

• Like 8

I have to say I'm not sure I like the idea of being told on the day - great for a 'yes' but horrible for a 'no'.  When my DD got a 'no' she would shut herself in her room for an hour and concentrate her attention on something else and then she was fine.  I'm not sure having to stay in company for a long journey home would help.  Hammond do a cut after the morning part of the audition and I have been there to see those with a 'no' leave, whilst the 'maybes' carry on through to the afternoon.  A long car journey or train journey afterwards would just make it worse.

• Like 2