• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(I hope you can see this picture...)

P1010371.JPG

:D !!!

That, on the right, is a very chuffed BristolBillyBob meeting Martha Leebolt, one of his ballet heroines. :) And Janet was absolutely right, she was charming and gracious, and very happy to have a photo taken and sign my programme. While it was very brief, meeting the dancer who first sealed my interest in ballet over two years ago is a memory I'll treasure for many years to come. :) 

• Like 9

That, on the right, is a very chuffed BristolBillyBob meeting Martha Leebolt, one of his ballet heroines.  .........

Leebolt is also one of my favourites.

I am so glad you liked the show.  I did too when I saw it in Leeds on Boxing Day and I think I posted something here to that effect at the time,

We are very proud of Northern Ballet in this part of the nation and hold it in very great affection.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

And Gary was so very nice to those of us who were there - as was Vadim who was courtesy itself when, weighed down with flowers and presents, he stood chatting, signing autographs and having his photo taken with people. He must have been very tired and emotionally spent but he didn't let that show at all. And one senses that the reception he received at the Stage Door yesterday was a sign of how it will be for him from now on.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 6

I must go to the stage door another time. I've never done it. Yesterday would have been a good time to do it as the performance finished so early and it was warm and sunny. In the evenings I'm keen to get home, even though I don't have far to go. I assume that you may have to wait up to an hour for the dancers to appear.

Splendid! I am now galvanized, especially after being granted twitter permission ;) Now I'm wondering how to keep flowers tucked away all Manon long, or if it's alright to show up empty handed but bursting with praise..!

I too was one of the fans who waited after yesterdays matinee (and the Saturday matinee and evening performance) and as always was impressed with how friendly and chatty the dancers were; signing and posing for photographs. Nothing was too much trouble though they must have been very tired after 3 performances so close together.

Lyn - presumably you know that you can hand flowers etc in at the Stage Door before the show? Flowers for principal female dancers (or people with principal roles) will get presented on stage. Flowers for men will not unless it is a special occasion (e.g. the retirement of pianist Philip Gammon) or the man is playing Widow Simone (for whom having flowers has become a bit of a tradition). Gifts for male dancers appear to get delivered to their dressing rooms if they are on that day or put in a pigeon-hole if they are not.

Some years ago, I wrote to the Director asking whether the men too could have flowers on stage (as in Russia) but was told that it wasn't something that was done by the RB. Might be worth another try now, perhaps? Incidentally, the ROH doesn't really like flowers being thrown from the audience onto the stage (unless it is an approved 'flower shower') as there is a perceived risk to the instruments in the orchestra.

Of course, some fans do hand over flowers in person at the Stage Door. This happened yesterday with Vadim who was given two bouquets to add to what already looked like an armful. If you want to do this, it is quite OK to leave your flowers in the cloakroom (at the Coliseum and Sadlers Wells as well as at the ROH) and retrieve them later.

But dancers seem to like people waiting to see them and having a word of appreciation as much as they do any gifts. Long ago now, but on this same thread, I urged fans to 'give it a go' at the Stage Door (for ENB, BRB, NB etc as well as for RB) and I would like to repeat that now. It's a good way of meeting fellow ballet enthusiasts as well.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 10

I know when I was working at the Met several leading ABT principal female dancers (Makarova was one) asked that the money that people might spend on flowers for them be given to specific charities that each was keen in supporting.  (This is something that ABT helped administer)  I always thought that was a very caring touch and I know that each of the artists was sent a notice when such a donation was made and each individually thereafter wrote an note of thanks in return.  I realise this may be an American tradition, but I, myself, thought it a lovely idea.    

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

... the money that people might spend on flowers for them be given to specific charities  I, myself, thought it a lovely idea.    

It is an excellent tradition. Having said that I feel that there are should be flowers on Sunday 18 January 2015 (matinee) at the London Coliseum. This ballerina deserves a beautiful farewell.

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/7968-elena-glurdjidze-will-be-leaving-english-national-ballet-in-january-2015/

• Like 5

It is an excellent tradition. Having said that I feel that there are should be flowers on Sunday 18 January 2015 (matinee) at the London Coliseum. This ballerina deserves a beautiful farewell.

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/7968-elena-glurdjidze-will-be-leaving-english-national-ballet-in-january-2015/

Plans are already afoot, Amelia and, if it's OK with you,  you will be PMd about it nearer the time.

Plans are already afoot, Amelia and, if it's OK with you,  you will be PMd about it nearer the time.

Thank you, capybara, I have already been in touch with my ballet friends since this morning. Let's do the flower throw and wait for her by the stage door to show our appreciation of her talent. In my view, it is too premature a resignation from the company she served so brilliantly.

I've only waited once by the Stage Door at the ROH when I was staying up in London that night and on my own, so was free to do it. Some people were waiting inside but I didn't think I should do that and ended up being the only person outside. I enjoyed seeing all the dancers I recognised leave but didn't have the courage to say anything. My best encounter was at the Coliseum a few years ago after a Carlos gala type performance. I was walking round the back of the theatre where my husband had parked to pick me up, when I saw Thiago Soares standing in the street. (Marianela had been performing). I was so astonished that I went straight up to him and said how much I was looking forward to seeing him and Marianela perform their 1st Romeo and Juliet. He was probably equally astonished to be recognised but was charming and told me they had been practicing really hard!  Aahh. My evening was made and he probably left wondering who this strange woman was who had accosted him in the street. 

I'm a Spurs fan and have waited loads of times for footballers after games. Somehow that seems completely different, though I have no idea why . It's now really difficult to gain any access so I don't bother but I used to get an autograph book per season. It was usually the older, more experienced players who were the best at this as they valued the fans and knew this life was very transient, 

• Like 3

Am I right in assuming that if you go to the stage door at the end of an evening with a triple bill, the only dancers you're likely to see are the ones from the final performance?

Most probably - though a few take a good while to take their leave (from the middle piece), so you may be lucky to catch them as well. Quite often, the last piece is a big company piece, so you'd see lots of dancers if that were the case. :-)

Lyn - presumably you know that you can hand flowers etc in at the Stage Door before the show? Flowers for principal female dancers (or people with principal roles) will get presented on stage. Flowers for men will not unless it is a special occasion (e.g. the retirement of pianist Philip Gammon) or the man is playing Widow Simone (for whom having flowers has become a bit of a tradition). Gifts for male dancers appear to get delivered to their dressing rooms if they are on that day or put in a pigeon-hole if they are not.

Gosh I had no idea..! Thanks very much! I'm being chastised for wanting to go to the stage door when I'm no longer a teenage ballerina wannabe.. but ah heck it, i'm going to anyway ;)

Edited by lyn
  • Like 3

Just do it! It's lovely to see the dancers and offer a few words of appreciation. I was delighted to be able to tell Carlos Acosta how much I enjoyed his Don Q and he seemed pleased.

So you were the accoster, accosting Acosta, the accostee? I think I need a lie down. ;-)

• Like 6

Oh my word BBB that's so funny! Yes I suppose guilty as charged LOL!!!

I finally managed to meet Zenaida Yanowsky last night amongst others from the wonderful Ashton mixed bill. Have to say the ballerinas last night took home some really fabulous flower bouquets and very well deserved they were too.

• Like 3

Have to say the ballerinas last night took home some really fabulous flower bouquets and very well deserved they were too.

Interestingly, the person with the most bouquets (armfuls after each piece) was Kate Shipway who was on the piano for 'Isadora Duncan' and 'Month' - and her flowers were very, very much deserved too.

• Like 1

Oooh I nearly always go to the stage door - I love it.  I often have children with me and they adore meeting the dancers.

One evening I had my 6 yr old nephew with me for a performance of Swan Lake at ROH - Marianela Nunez was dancing. We had to wait about 40 mins for her to come out and it was quite late. When she arrived, my nephew crossly stepped forward, put his hands on his hips and retorted, "What took you so long?" There was a collective gasp from the other fans at the stage door, but she laughed her head off, crouched down to him, and apologised profusely. She then posed for photos and signed programmes and everyone thought she was wonderful.

:D  :D

• Like 15

Oooh I nearly always go to the stage door - I love it.  I often have children with me and they adore meeting the dancers.

One evening I had my 6 yr old nephew with me for a performance of Swan Lake at ROH - Marianela Nunez was dancing. We had to wait about 40 mins for her to come out and it was quite late. When she arrived, my nephew crossly stepped forward, put his hands on his hips and retorted, "What took you so long?" There was a collective gasp from the other fans at the stage door, but she laughed her head off, crouched down to him, and apologised profusely. She then posed for photos and signed programmes and everyone thought she was wonderful.

:D  :D

Ah bless - I was there when that happened and often recount that story to friends it was hilarious because your nephew only said what everyone else was thinking!!!  It was such a typical "innocent child" comment, so sweet!  

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2

Ah bless - I was there when that happened and often recount that story to friends it was hilarious because your nephew only said what everyone else was thinking!!!  It was such a typical "innocent child" comment, so sweet!  

How funny that you were there! Perhaps it was a good job it was Marianela as she is so lovely.

I do think that the dancers like to see people at the stage door - as has been said above - they can always go out another way if they want. I think it would be awful if there was no-one there.

Posing for selfies with dancers also seems to be totally acceptable nowadays - and is a much better keepsake than an autograph IMO.

• Like 1

I had my first experience standing outside the ROH stage door after Manon on the 5th October, not something I usually do as I haven't the time but my sister and I were fortunate to of planned so well and so we waited. It was very exciting to see the RB stars esp Vadim M, Gary Avis and Melissa Hamilton, we did hang on hoping Sarah Lamb would appear but by then my legs were aching from all that standing and we had to make our way back to Victoria Coach Station. Rhey did look like glamazons with their very high heels! Also so very tall.

A nice memory and a signed programme to keep.

Edited by WoodlandGladeFairy
  • Like 4

I'll be seeing Tamara Rojo dance for the first time* in a couple of weeks at Bristol Hippodrome. Needless to say I'm quite excited. As I suspect she's possibly not a million years away from retiring, and I might not have the chance too often in the future, I was thinking I'd go to the stage door afterwards to say a quick hello. :) As she has a senior management role as well, though, does that mean I'm less likely to catch her at the door? Or might she take much longer, schmoozing, letting everyone know how marvellous they were (dahhhling!), berating an underling, etc.?

* She's probably danced before, I'd imagine, but I'll be seeing it for the first time if you see what I mean.

• Like 1

Danyajeffrey said above: "I do think that the dancers like to see people at the stage door - as has been said above - they can always go out another way if they want."

And some do....I haven't 'stage door johnnied' for a few years now as I have to get home at night for work the next day, but sometimes I used to wait around. I remember that Johan Kobborg almost always used to go out the other way, and leave Alina to face the waiting throng! She always seemed happy to do so. I guess some dancers are just exhausted after a show and, like me now, just want to dash straight home! It is a shame for the waiting fans, but they are human too, and going through the 'fan crush', taking photos, signing autographs, having a chat, can often add at least half an hour onto their departure time. Having said this, most dancers I have spoken to are very happy to go out and thank their fans; after all, without them, where would they be?

• Like 2

I'll be seeing Tamara Rojo dance for the first time* in a couple of weeks at Bristol Hippodrome. Needless to say I'm quite excited. As I suspect she's possibly not a million years away from retiring, and I might not have the chance too often in the future, I was thinking I'd go to the stage door afterwards to say a quick hello. :) As she has a senior management role as well, though, does that mean I'm less likely to catch her at the door? Or might she take much longer, schmoozing, letting everyone know how marvellous they were (dahhhling!), berating an underling, etc.?

* She's probably danced before, I'd imagine, but I'll be seeing it for the first time if you see what I mean.

I think she will be out just like any other dancer if she's just done a full show I'd say she would not want to hang around doing admin or schmoozing.  I've met her once at ROH and don't think she takes forever unlike some.  She seems quite a down to earth person rather than a diva like Zakharova.  I hope you get to meet her!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1