Aesthetic athletes and dancers; training and optimising performance

John Mallinson

I agree, too - there is always the opportunity to learn something new and I would be interested in hearing what is learned.

What occurs to me is that the ballet has some elements intrinsic to its performance that are fairly singular to its structure - such as turnout - and the need for overall artistry as well as artistry within its various styles (such as Romantic, neo classic, modern, etc.) as well as strict adherence to set choreography, So I think the transport of ideas from other areas of movement such as sport - even aesthetic sport - may be difficult (I'm not saying impossible) to incorporate into the training of a ballet dancer.

For instance, there may be a new idea for stretching but ballet dancers stretch with turrnout.  So, it seems to me, the new idea may have to be adapted - which is a consideration.

And then one needs to consider - how a better/different concept is to be incorporated into the training of the dancer.  Would that entail, for instance, the dancer needing to take skating or gymnastic, etc. - lessons?  Or could that concept be applied in ballet class?  How?  At what point?  Would new equipment be needed?  It is not only the learning of new concepts that are of interest but also specifics for application.  Where within the structure of ballet classwork would it occur?  Would a ballet teacher need training before teaching this concept?

In re-reading my question from post #29, I can see that it might be mis-read.  However, it was an honest question - a teacher would need specifics in order to take advantage of a new/different concept.  

I look forward to hearing this.

Gymnasts stretch with turnout. Ice skaters stretch with turnout. Dancers should stretch in parallel too, as imbalances in flexibility can cause injury.

As for your other questions, Anjuli, I think there are some pertinent ones. I would like to think that the conference is about sharing good practise ideas that can be taken and adapted for use in the dance studio rather than saying "dancers must learn to skate".

For example, dancers could learn a thing or two about periodisation. And Dancers are wary of strength training due to fears of looking muscly but perhaps other aesthetic athletes such as rhythmic gymnasts can offer some tips.

When discussing 'the ballet class' as the primary method of day-to-day training for a professional dancer it opens up a whole new debate - is the traditional classical class format the best way of ensuring professional dancers are best conditioned for their job? which is, ultimately, performing on stage. Does a dancer need to take a FULL traditional class every single day? Would the time be better spent focusing on one or two physiological elements each day/session and varying them? Eg focus on fine skill and precision one session, slow controlled strength/endurance work another session, explosive jumps/turns in a different session to say, stretching.

Gymnasts stretch with turnout. Ice skaters stretch with turnout. Dancers should stretch in parallel too, as imbalances in flexibility can cause injury.

As for your other questions, Anjuli, I think there are some pertinent ones. I would like to think that the conference is about sharing good practise ideas that can be taken and adapted for use in the dance studio rather than saying "dancers must learn to skate".

For example, dancers could learn a thing or two about periodisation. And Dancers are wary of strength training due to fears of looking muscly but perhaps other aesthetic athletes such as rhythmic gymnasts can offer some tips.

When discussing 'the ballet class' as the primary method of day-to-day training for a professional dancer it opens up a whole new debate - is the traditional classical class format the best way of ensuring professional dancers are best conditioned for their job? which is, ultimately, performing on stage. Does a dancer need to take a FULL traditional class every single day? Would the time be better spent focusing on one or two physiological elements each day/session and varying them? Eg focus on fine skill and precision one session, slow controlled strength/endurance work another session, explosive jumps/turns in a different session to say, stretching.

A couple of items in this response do bring up new questions for me - but perhaps it is best to see what is learned and reported back here.  I am looking forward to it.

Hi everyone. I am so glad I have come across this blog. My name is Niamh Morrin and I am the Healthier Dancer Programme manager at Dance UK. In association with the Royal Society of Medicine we are organising this fantastic conference that will ensure idea’s and lessons are shared and learned amongst professionals working with aesthetic performers.

I sincerely apologise for the confusing price structure – the sliding scale structure is to ensure fair rates for everyone – everyone is welcome and encouraged to come and take part in the conference. It is crucially important to us at Dance UK that our information on training and health reach not only medical professionals but also dancers, teachers, artistic directors, choreographers and pastoral care. Aside from the dancer category we grouped all others under a non-medical category – With regards to dancers you definitely do not need to be a professional dancer working in a company. The category you choose relates to what you earn your living from – we don’t ask sticky questions but ask that you are honest when choosing your ticket price – this not only ensures that our costs are covered but helps us get a real understanding of the types of people that attend our conferences and how we can then best plan for the future.

For more information on Dance UK, please visit www.danceuk.org; we are a charity organisation and the national voice for dance. We also manage the dance register which I am sure will be of interest to teachers http://www.thedanceregister.org.uk/

If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to get in contact with me: Niamh@danceuk.org / 02077130730

Hope to see many of you there

Niamh

• Like 2

Thanks too. That seems to clarify that I could attend under my old profession as a teacher or still maybe amateur dancer sinceI am retired now. ButI will still ring first and check which category I should apply under but feel more confident to apply after your post Niamh.

• 1 month later...