Recommended Ballet Summer Schools 2014

s.dancer

Picturesinthefirelight, could you ask your DD's school (I think she's a vocational pupil?) for their recommendations as to the summer school best suited to your DD this year, bearing in mind her current needs, plus recommendations for the most appropriate yoga and Pliates classes? I'm sure they would want to advise as to what will do your DD most good at present. What worked previously or what may well work in the future may be quite different.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see summer schools is either the devil you know, or the devil you don't. If your DC go back to one they've done before, you/they know exactly what to expect. Trying a new one is a bit of a lottery. Whatever anyone else says about it, you'll never know whether it suits your DC until they give it a try. And even if the school turns out to be below their level or doesn't meet your/their expectations, they will be able to take away something positive. They will be seen by new teachers and choreographers, and will hopefully make new friends, both of which widen that all important network. Plus while their 'parent' schools are closed for the summer, it'll keep them physically tuned and less likely to get injured. This summer we are looking at a combination of both types, one DD has done before and one she hasn't. But it's still good to ask around… Has anyone got any info about Central SS? :)

• Like 1

I think you're right, BalletDad1064. If you don't try it for yourself, you'll never know whether a summer school is right for you.

PITF, are you able to ask DD's teachers why they have recommended certain summer schools and whether they think these schools will work on the things your DD needs? Same with the recommended yoga or Pilates - you will need their guidance as to the most appropriate types of classes for your DD at this time.

News from Natalia Kremen Ballet School:

1st Vaganova Summer Intensive Course in London.

Enjoy an amazing opportunity to be taught and be inspired  by the top Russian trained ballet masters.

28th July - 2nd August 2014.

Classes:

Classical Ballet, Character Dance, Pointe Work, Ballet History, Pilates - Stretching Class.

Natalia Kremen Ballet School provides the highest standards of teaching, lots of personal attention with corrections.

For more information contact  info@nkballetschool.com

Not sure of its of help but www.thedancesummerschool.co.uk is excellent and has full accommodation and chaperones. My dd loves it and they pic them up from airport if needed to. Great support and kids from all over go. My dd now has friends from greece spain Mexico singapore italy...

• Like 1

I did Yorkshire assembly last summer, and I was really looking forward to it. I had just started adv. 1 so I was put in the senior group which was mostly 16-18 year olds, both boys and girls, and I felt a lot younger than them all at the time. On our first rehearsal for ballet the instructor was very strict as I wasn't picking up quick, and she made me do things by myself and I felt very self conscious since I was surrounded by older girls that went to vocational schools and having this woman shout at me made me very upset, but I spoke to my house mother (for the senior dorm) and she was LOVELY, and got me moved into the juniors category where all my friends where. After that first day I LOVED it! The jazz was great - the teacher was really happy and lovely and we did a Japanese doll dance. As for contemporary - we all really enjoyed it, but it was SO disciplined! The room had to be silent and the instructor was a man who used drums for music. He was very tough on us and had a rather big intimidating personality, but still kind. I learnt a lot from that class.

As for the dorms, I was sharing with the girl I came with, which was such a relief to have a familiar face. Both seniors ad juniors dorm in the same building, so it was slightly frustrating when the seniors where playing must next door at 10pm! The room were lovely though - 2 single beds, a wardrobe each, a dresser each, drawers each, shelves each, a seat each and a mirror and sink. They had big windows with a lovely view over the gardens! However, the girl I travelled with had a little sister who was staying with all the other little kids in the "Winnie" house. She kept getting upset because she was by herself as couldn't sleep at night, so me and the girl I formed with got moved to Winnie house to share a room with her. Winnie's house was SO PRETTY! It was so colourful and backed onto a golf course and a forest. The little kids share in a room with 3 other people (so 4 per room) so we got a room to ourselves. The Winnie's get to watch films and play games at night in the sofa/Den and everyone enjoyed it :)

• 4 weeks later...

hello, im looking to apply for a summer school somewhere in europe! does anyone know anything about this summer school? http://balletsummerschool.de/en/welcome/ if not.. any recommendations on summer schools . im looking for ones that start in august, rather than july.  

prague masterclass (http://balletmasterclass.com/) is in august and the list of teachers is impressive but there isn't any supervision so would only suit older dancers unless parents are coming too. Has had good reviews from anyone I have spoken to...

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard that Surrey Ballet Masters are doing a two day course..... only 15 mins from M25 and bus rise from Coulsdon South station.

http://www.surreyballetmasters.co.uk/

Surrey Ballet Masters

www.surreyballetmasters.co.uk

Theatre @ Coulsdon Sixth Form College, Placehouse Lane, CR5 1YA

07958 725862   emmanorthmore@yahoo.com

INTENSIVE BALLET COURSE                                                   August 4th and 5th 2014     

Name

Age (minimum 7yrs, seniors from 10yrs in two levels)

Date of birth

Address

Email

Mobile  

Grade/years dancing

Pointe work?                             Yes                           No

Allergies/medical conditions

Please State:

One day      4th/ 5th   @ £35 per day seniors      £25 juniors

Both days @ £ 70      ( Discount for siblings or 5 % off bookings before end of May )

Please either pay by BACS: 34748481 Santander 09-01-35 (ref Childs name)Or enclose a cheque payable to Emma Stone, 69 Cordrey Gardens, Coulsdon,  Surrey, CR5 2SQ

Closing Date for fees and applications no later than July 18th please.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the regular RAD weekly summer schools? My DDs go there most years and enjoy it (DD1 is grade 7 + Intermediate. DD2 is grade 5). They have several all over the place, but ours go to London. Accommodation is available, although being London isn't cheap. Again, several levels of ability up to Advanced 2. There was a particularly talented girl in DD1's group last year, and it transpires she'd just been offered a place at RBS...

• Like 1

i have done the rad international summer school for a few years and it is more of an all round course than just dance, you do drama and singing lessons aswell as ballet, repertoire and musical theatre( which varies greatly, one year i did an energetic routine from hairspray, another an extremely dull steam heat 'dance') 

the graded intensives are good before your exam and they also run teacher training classes which are free to go to but you have a teacher who is a student on thier training programme, they are usually alright and you can do two on one day so its worth the trip