New Marriott

Does anyone know anything at all about this new work?  On the ROH website the only information is the costume designer but surely the music, at least, should be known by now.  

I admit I've been a bit underwhelmed by some of the new works premiered in the last few years but if I know the music I might be tempted to give it a whirl.  Certainly, the rest of the mixed bill is very tempting.

Has anyone heard anything or seen insider information doing the rounds of the social networks?

Linda

All we knew was the casting which was up on the site: Watson, Osipova, McRae (not necessarily in that order), and Cervera and another couple of names I can't remember in the second cast.

Perhaps it's one of those "danced in silence" ballets? :)

All we knew was the casting which was up on the site: Watson, Osipova, McRae (not necessarily in that order), and Cervera and another couple of names I can't remember in the second cast.

Perhaps it's one of those "danced in silence" ballets? :)

originally announced casting here:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/5696-royal-ballet-201314-period-4-casting/?p=72647

As BobK says, ROH Mag for the summer booking period contains more details as well as an interview with Alastair Marriott. In summary:

It's a large-scale abstract piece with an "otherworldly feel".

Music consists of 4 pieces by Arvo Pärt: Fratres, Vater Unser (Our Father) featuring a treble soloist, Silouan's Song, Wenn Bach Bienen gezüchtet hätte (If Bach had kept bees).

"Spectacular" set design by Es Devlin (of Olympic closing ceremony, Royal Opera Les Troyens, Take That tour fame).

Costumes by Jonathan Howells, lighting Bruno Poet.

Principal casts: Osipova / Watson / McRae and Lamb / Cervera / Campbell.

Love Arvo Part - sadly will not be in the country to see any more ballet til the autumn myself but I envy you all this music. Please don't worry about the 'bees' piece - it's a Part composition from the 1970s for wind quintet/string orchestra/piano. It's a rather nice piece of minimalist music. The title is a rather clever play on words I understand - the Bach refers to the fact that Part uses the note pattern B A C H (old German notation system refers to B as B flat and H as B natural). Then there is some building string tremelo playing that sounds a bit like bees - hence If Bach had been a Beekeeper. Hope I explained that alright!!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...