I am sorry, but you pay for a restricted view so you get a restricted view.  There's a photo on the website that illustrates what you will and will not see.  The tickets of those affected by the leaners do not say "Your view will be affected by patrons leaning forward".  So sorry to say it, but leaning forward, wherever that is, is unacceptable.  As is coughing, dropping your phone/binoculars, whispering a witty observation to your companion, unwrapping candy.  I know there's always an excuse.  But. Just. Don't.

Almost at the end of Royal Opera House programs there is a page called: "Guidelines and General Information".

Under "Enjoying the Performance" is written: "Please think of other audience members: talking, humming and singing will interfere with their enjoyment of the performance, and leaning forward in your seat may impede the view of others"

Previously this note was even more direct: "Because of the nature of the seating we would ask you to sit back in your seats as leaning forward may impede the view of the person behind you".

• Like 3

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm sorry if I offended anyone.  I was a little surprised at bangorboy's comments, I am certainly not one for doing what I like without any regard for others, I do have some manners!  As I said, I did look behind me first to consider whether I would obstruct their view and I really did think that if I did, someone would tap me on the shoulder and ask me to sit back which of course I would have done.

Once, sitting in amphi row B  I tapped a "lady" leaning in row A and she went on complaining even to the usher. She ended up to obstruct to me almost the whole stage on the first act and spoil my second because I was really nervous after the discussion.

When I buy a ticket and think I could have a restricted view, I try to choose seats without person sitting behind me: there are a few, so if you want to lean choose E78 and not A78.

Edited by annamicro
  • Like 1

I thought that Laura McCulloch was by far the best of the three Myrthas whom I saw. She was authoritative and yet otherworldly at the same time. I meant to say something about the Cuthbertson/Bonelli partnership earlier. I thought that Lauren made a lovely, playful Giselle and, for me, she looked and danced like a ballerina from the Romantic era (or how I imagine one to be). She was probably my favourite Giselle personality-wise although her 'mad scene' and the pdd in Act 2 were not as affecting as Marienela's. Soares was the best actor of the three Albrechts whom I saw. I felt all three were a bit under-powered but that Bonelli (who came across as a rather ardent and boyish Albrecht) was the best technically. I don't usually go to more than one performance in a RB run but it was gratifying to enjoy and appreciate different dancers in the same roles. I'd be hard pushed to say which performance I enjoyed most as all had strengths and weaknesses. One think that I can say, though, is Osipova will not always be my first choice when choosing casting and that, IMO, the other ballerinas, both principal and up-and-coming, have as much if not more to offer. Without meaning any disrespect to her, I hope that she is not going to become the face of the RB and dominate all the publicity, recordings etc.

• Like 2

I found Morera very natural and expressive, but then I was sitting very close and things can look very different from there.  If we all thought the same, we'd be a very boring bunch.

I also enjoyed her interaction with Bonelli.  Not the best ever pd6 from the men, but gorgeous from the ladies.  Fine work from the ladies' corps (pretty frightening in act 2) and truly believeable performances from Gartside (as Hilarion) andf Chapman (as Berthe).  For me, a fine show to end this very fine run.

I was right back in the amphitheatre and Lauras performance translated very easily for me, every ounce of her being was Giselle.

And yes the corps were magnificently scary, the diagonal lines nigh on perfect thus adding to the effect.

One humorous moment though was when the lilies were thrown off stage and it sounded as if one hit a fire bucket..

• Like 1

If this is not too far off topic the Royal New Zealand Ballet has been touring the USA and they danced Giselle in Lost Angeles.a few days ago.

One of my favourite bloggers @adultbeginner, a lady who started ballet lessons in her 30s, attended that performance and she has written two articles about it which some may find frivolous but I enjoyed:

Commenting on her second article, I told her about the Royal Ballet's season and also about this thread.  

I hope she signs up to BalletcoForum because she has lots to contribute to the "Doing Dance" section as well as "Performances".

@davetriesballet describes @adultbeginner's blog as hilarious and I agree.  I hope some of you dip into it and enjoy it.

There have been clips on youtube of Marianela Nunez's act 2 from 2011 for a while, but the Royal Ballet have released a clip of her mad scene from act 1 (though it cuts out towards the end, weirdly). Really wish I had got to see her, but unfortunately couldn't make any of her performances. Even in this brief clip she is so effective. Really wish Pennefather hadn't been injured either, as would have liked to see what he would have made of the role. He was quite muted in the 2011 version, from the clips.

This is a really shallow thing to say, but when you see her in up close clips like this, it's almost shocking how beautiful Nunez is. Her face is insane.

• Like 5

In 2 minutes and 45 seconds, she manages to convey so much pain and emotion, without moving a muscle, that she had me in tears. Oh, Marianela, you're perfect. dont ever doubt it. And yes, what a beautiful expressive face.

And oh, RB editors, are you MAD? 

• Like 1

Is there a review of Cuthbertson's Giselle on here anywhere?  I've had a quick look back, but I must have missed it.

My brother went to see her, and had the journey from hell because it was the day of the tube strike.  It says a great deal that he came out of the theatre feeling as though he was floating on air.  Even the fact that he had to walk back to Victoria Station afterwards and squeeze himself into a packed train did not dim his enthusiasm.  .

Ok, thanks Aileen.  Glad you enjoyed it.  I just wish I could have seen any of the current run, but I was busy seeing other things.  Maybe next time, which will hopefully be quite soon.

I do realise my brother could have taken alternative routes, but he isn't a Londoner. 

Plus I don't know how many of you were travelling last week during the tube strike, but I was out at a matinee on the Wednesday afternoon at the National. Afterwards I waited 40 minutes for my bus, did not see any coming in the other direction at all, so ended up having to ring my other half to pick me up on the motorbike.  I have never seen the roads so crowded.  No wonder the buses could not get through - it was just standstill traffic. 

And my friend tried to get a train from Waterloo, could not squeeze on to one, and ended up on a 3 hour bus journey to West Hampstead.  Nightmare!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

One performance of Giselle that rivals Osipova's in my heart is that of Gelsey Kirkland.  The small solo from the first act has long been seen on Youtube.  Recently I see that they have added the title character's entrance in the second act.  You can find that here.  I seem to recall she literally melted into air ... or so it seemed to me at the time.  I remember in the 80's being invited to a private screening by the woman who make these silent films - totally illegally - on Super 8.  (Those were the days, huh .... NOT!)   I remember seeing segments from Nureyev in his only performance of Fille ... and other key rarities.  I laugh now when I think back on this.  Back then people would heatedly complain when they got (such stunning artists as) Martine van Hamel or Eva Evdokimova on even a triple bill cast.  How times have changed.  

• 4 weeks later...