BRB - Prince of Pagodas - Coliseum seating news

Just posting this in case anyone is unaware so hope I have put it in the right place! I went to the Coliseum to book my tickets for this production on Wednesday and was informed that the balcony will not be open for any performances.In light of some of the poorly attended events I went to last year it left me wondering if this might not become a regular occurrence.

I think it is because the Coliseum is associated in most people's minds with opera.

I am sure they would have fewer problems if it was on at Sadlers Wells, which is associated with dance.

And I have to say, that the Coliseum and/or the ballet companies really could do more to promote future productions.

I heard several people exclaim when collecting their tickets from the box office to see Le Corsaire, that they were glad to see ENB coming back soon with Coppelia.  Yet the amount of information on display was scant to non-existent.  I am sure quite a few tickets could have been sold to the outgoing audience, brimming with enthusiasm, if they had actually known it was coming.

And I have to say, that the Coliseum and/or the ballet companies really could do more to promote future productions.

Or they could just do something.  There were so many flyers in there the other day, but I didn't see any ENB ones.  Seems that ENO just wash their hands of everything coming into their theatre.

Earlier in the Corsaire run there were a lot of leaflets in the racks near the entrance but by the last performance the racks were looking pretty empty. There were leaflets and some ENB season brochures on one of the downstairs tables where the programmes were being sold. It's a shame that there are no leaflets on display upstairs (as at Sadler's Wells) which people can browse during the intervals. ENO's priority is to sell its own productions but, in the long run, it will lose out if dance programmes sell poorly and visiting companies stop coming. It's interesting how some large ballet companies go to Sadler's Wells (who make a great effort to promote all the productions: by post, e-mail, leaflets on prominent display at the venue etc) rather than the Coliseum.

I'd rather see ENB at Sadlers Wells, to be honest with you. I just prefer it for dance.  And I like the way that SW has tv screens in the bar areas showing little snippets of forthcoming attractions.  Although I realise that might be a bit difficult to set up in the older theatres

Or they could just do something.  There were so many flyers in there the other day, but I didn't see any ENB ones.  Seems that ENO just wash their hands of everything coming into their theatre.

I used to like seeing advanced posters for ballets and live theatre on the underground.  This is an excellent way to advertise - if you happen to take the tube on a daily basis.  As I work from home now, I feel a bit out of touch. 

And I like the way that SW has tv screens in the bar areas showing little snippets of forthcoming attractions.  Although I realise that might be a bit difficult to set up in the older theatres

I think I'm right in saying that the Coli doesn't even have a TV for latecomers?  Seems somehow to reflect the mindset of the place.

I used to like seeing advanced posters for ballets and live theatre on the underground.  This is an excellent way to advertise - if you happen to take the tube on a daily basis.  As I work from home now, I feel a bit out of touch. 

Yes, I too feel out of touch with everything happening in London now I don't commute any longer, either.

There was a competition in the Evening Standard last night to win pairs of tickets to Prince of the Pagodas at the Coliseum.  It was on the TV page, I think.  (If you live out of the centre, you can quite probably pick up a copy at your local supermarket or somewhere these days until the next day's issue comes out).

I think I'm right in saying that the Coli doesn't even have a TV for latecomers? 

Latecomers don't need a TV as the ushers allow them to come into the back of the auditorium. Obviously this wouldn't be possible for sold out performances but it's, sadly, rare for Coli ballet performances to sell out.

Edited by Bluebird