Pilates

Happymum

Do your DD and DS do Pilates? Of course there is Pilates training in vocational schools but I wonder if any of the "ordinary" evening ballet schools offer Pilates as well? Or did/does your child do personal training Pilates session or adults classes etc

My dd has a great dvd called "Pilates for young dancers" which I can recommend for teenagers. They do have Pilates/Body Conditioning at her local school but it would mean doing Pilates, straight into Grade 6, then straight into Intermediate - think that might be a bit much on a school night! :-)

My dd has a great dvd called "Pilates for young dancers" which I can recommend for teenagers. They do have Pilates/Body Conditioning at her local school but it would mean doing Pilates, straight into Grade 6, then straight into Intermediate - think that might be a bit much on a school night! :-)

Can't believe this post - only this afternoon i called into a local 'holistic' centre which offers pilates, looking for a class for myself and my dd to be told, despite us attending class together, due to CRB constraints she was too young! Mmmm, i thought, perhaps a DVD, look at this forum and what do I see??? A post about pilates!! Spanner, where can you buy dvd? Thank you
  • Like 2

Well I'm sure that not every Pilates instructor can work with children and specially with ballet dancer. Our local ballet school offers Pilates and had recently 3 children offered places in vocational schools ( 2 with scholarship ) and some got JA places. I think that Pilates might be a part of this success and just wondered how common it is to have Pilates classes as well as ballet tuition. And please

spannerandpony let us know where did you buy

this book.

Hi all, I got mine directly from Monique Richards after searching for Pilates DVDs for dancers. I came across a clip on Youtube and messaged Monique to see if it would be suitable for my dd's age. Can't get the link to work on my ipad but if you search for "Monique Richards Pilates" hopefully you'll find her. She sent our dvd from Australia but it came within a couple of weeks.

One of my dd's dance teachers was particularly concerned with the lack of core strength in her students, so introduced Pilates and body conditioning exercises before lyrical classes. This has certainly made a big difference to my daughter in ballet.

Thank you Spannerandpony, will have a google!! The class DD and I hoped to join is run by a ballet teacher so obviously a connection between ballet and pilates, such a shame we can't but at least with DVD you can fit it into already busy schedules. :D

• Like 1

Indeed. It's obviously worked because dd apparently has amazing core strength. Obviously a dvd isn't a substitute for a real class but Monique was great about giving me info on which exercises would be best for dd's age when we first got the dvd a couple of years ago. Now she's a teenager she can do them all, and the instructions are really clear.

I am currently increasing my dd's classes in addition to her 'core' ballet, tap & modern classes. Her current teacher only does dancing part time but is happy for us to go elsewhere so I have found a 2 hour ballet class which also works on body conditioning and flexibility.

• Like 1

My dd does pilates with a local teacher who trained as a ballet dancer the issue of a crb has not come up but I stay with her a class.

This is what I hoped to do but unfortunately could not get past the manager/owner on the front desk! Going to pop in again when his wife is there, she might be more understanding. Lol!

It may also be that they are really not confident of teaching a child/teenager. A responsible instructor will say no rather than run any risk that their lack of experience with young people may put your child at risk of injury, or of building up muscles incorrectly.

Totally agree Glowlight, but unfortunately the teacher hasn't been part of the discussion, plus manager himself agreed it would be ideal for DD but CRB constraints wouldn't allow - apparently every instructor would need crb just incase they came into contact with my dd was the issue - the fact that this centre runs baby yoga classes and and pre and post natal classes therefore majority of staff are crb checked didn't come into it! :rolleyes: not to worry, thanks to Spanner have another avenue to explore :D

• Like 1