How does one pronounce ....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And some people Westernise the pronunciation of other people's names, too.  When was the last time you heard someone pronounce Martina Navratilova or Maria Sharapova? 

BBB, is it always 3rd syllable from the end?  I've always just based it on -ova being the feminine ending (Navratilova's brother is called Navratil, I seem to remember, and Helena Sukova's brother is Suk.  Sorry to bring tennis into it again, but that's my second most major source of female "Russian" names)

"ova" is the feminine of "ov" - Putrov & Putrova, Sukov and Sukova (also, on the tennis front, Safin & Safina).

• Like 1

Well, yes, but in the two cases I mentioned (both Czech, incidentally) it's the whole "-ova" which is added to the male version of the name.  I know not why, but have always assumed that there's a rule somewhere that adding the "-ova" suffix doesn't change where the stress in the word is.

• Like 1

Well, yes, but in the two cases I mentioned (both Czech, incidentally) it's the whole "-ova" which is added to the male version of the name.  I know not why, but have always assumed that there's a rule somewhere that adding the "-ova" suffix doesn't change where the stress in the word is.

Czech and Russian are very different languages!  The Czech names have accents which help determine the stress (IIRC).

It isn't pronounced Va Amelia it is Wa seepova.This is what a freind of mine who was lucky enough to see the Bolshoi do class was told by Marina Kondratieva who as you know coached Natalia.

You see, blackdove, I corrected W to V deliberately because neither Natalya no Marina would pronounce 'W' because we don't have 'W' sound in the Russian phonetical system. They both don't speak English although Marina speaks more phrases than Natalia. So, if for some reason they say this hybrid word 'Vasipova', they would use 'V'.

By the way, when Russian students learn to pronounce the sound 'W', it is quite a streneous job because their speech apparatus is different. They are told, firstly, to pull their lips forward as if for a kiss, then to imitate the teacher's 'W' and, finally, to pull their lips back!

• Like 1

The same as German then!!

Spanish is great in that it too has the stress markers as to where you accent in any word.

It's not that important for a beginner as you will be understood if the stress is wrong but if you want to get the conversation flowing its much better to sound more like a native speaker obviously and placing the stress correctly really makes you much more easily understood!!

I have just started learning Russian Amelia and I mean only just but am fascinated by some of their sounds the "dze" one being one of them. Once you have any sound that is not quite there in ones own language it's very hard to get a good imitation of it!!

I have just started learning Russian Amelia and I mean only just but am fascinated by some of their sounds the "dze" one being one of them. Once you have any sound that is not quite there in ones own language it's very hard to get a good imitation of it!!

I know it too well how hard it is.

Good luck with your studies, LinMM.

• Like 1

The hardest thing about Russian is indeed knowing which part of the word to stress, you have to hear it to know,  when I watch ballet documentaries and Russian is spoken I realise that I said words completely wrongly when I visited Russia, no wonder people used to smile or even giggle when I spoke!

So, how do you accent Muntagirov?

'...>I just follow 'quixotic' and say Don Kwiksot<...'

I don't believe it, Jane - you of all people!  Don Kwiksot  harks back to the notorious 'Donkeyshot' once seen (by me, anyway) on an ENB gala programme and has odd echoes of the Kwikfit Fitter TV ads.  I've been happy with 'Don kee HO tay' for years, however, I'm so thrown by your confidence that it will be 'Don Q'  for me from now on. 

In the Royal Ballet Don Quixote television screening, Carlos Acosta and Marianela Núñez, both of course with Spanish as mother-tongue, say it as the modern Don Quijote I.e. Don Kee-HO-tay, emphasis on the HO.

Edited by Grand Tier Left
  • Like 1

For Don Q it depends whether you are trying to say the Spanish version, Don Quixote ( Don Kee-HO-tay) or the French version Don Quichotte (Donkey Shot) both are correct.  The original book was Spanish (Castellano) but the first ballet was in Russia where the language at Court was French.

Rojo is pronounced with a short first "o" , like in "rock" and a long second "o".

The syllables are evenly stressed in Rojo but I agree with S and P I think the "o" 's are more similarly pronounced as well ro-ho

I think if it was a longer word with "o" as the second letter then the "o" would be shorter as in romantico!

'...>I just follow 'quixotic' and say Don Kwiksot<...'

I don't believe it, Jane - you of all people!  Don Kwiksot  harks back to the notorious 'Donkeyshot' once seen (by me, anyway) on an ENB gala programme and has odd echoes of the Kwikfit Fitter TV ads.  I've been happy with 'Don kee HO tay' for years, however, I'm so thrown by your confidence that it will be 'Don Q'  for me from now on. 

Actually I'm sure that the BBC uses the same pronunciation, or their Radio 3 announcers do.  In a way, this is logical as in this country we don't tend to pronounce the names of foreign cities the same way their inhabitants would.  For example, what English person would say 'Paree' unless in France or actually speaking French at the time?  It's always Pa-riss.

I think that with the names of living persons it may be a question of good manners when addressing them directly to attempt the phonetically-correct version but otherwise it sounds a tad pretentious to use foreign pronunciation in English as well as being unclear.  After all if I mentioned my trip to Gothenburg who would know where I had been if I called it Yourt-er-boy as my Swedish-speaking niece calls it?

Linda

When I wrote ask any Spanish speaker, I meant anyone learning Spanish would know the correct pronounciation.  A don't suppose in the great scheme of things it matters that much, but as it is an easy short name, why not get it right?  The "o" s in Rojo are the same as in the English word "follow".

• Like 1

Thanks Pas de Quatre and as I am learning Spanish I'd better get it right!! :)

I'll definitely check it out with our teacher....who is Spanish......but comes from Gran Canaria ...so may be some differences in pronunciation with mainland Spain .....next Thursday.

I am sure you are correct PDQ but I suspect when Ive used the word before in lessons Ive not been making much difference between the two "o" s :(

I agree in general that it is important to get people's names correctly pronounced though so great that this thread has been started!!

• Like 1