• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called

Press Release: ROH Winter Season - Ballet and Dance
Started by Janet McNulty, Oct 20 2012 03:53 PM

But I don't know how to post the link, sorry.  But the answer is "Chen see myech (myech is one syllable like "nyet" (thanks to Toursenlair).

Thanks for finding the thread:  here's the link   and post numer 18 refers

Ah, but for portuguese names (mainly from Portugal and Brazil) "J" is pronoused as "J " in English (eg Jose Mourinho -  a portuguese ex Chealsea manager (football)).

As to spanish names pronounciation will vary depending on where in spain or spanish-speaking america they are from - I think there are about 3 to 4 different pronounciation for the letter "J".

Junor = Jupiter... what a name!

Edited by mimi66

Wow - I LOVE this thread!

I have some to ask too. I'll start with 'YAGP'. Does it matter that it's not a dancer's name?

Sorry to appear stupid but what is YAGP?

I always had trouble with Zakharova until I had a Russian lady sitting next to me one day - she told me it is pronounced Za -harova with the "harova" bit like you say the "har" in Sahara Desert a soft sound not hard.

Now Osipova anyone? I always say it "Ossy-pova" but some seem to say it "Oh-seep-ova" or Oh-see-pova.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

I think the Russian dze is pronounced a bit like a French "j" so sort of "jay" but with a french "j" but not quite its quite a hard sound to produce as we haven't the exact equivalent......but the sound is quite forward in the mouth.....but it's a soft Z as in Zhivago.( Dr. Zhivago)

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

Ah, but for portuguese names (mainly from Portugal and Brazil) "J" is pronoused as "J " in English (eg Jose Mourinho -  a portuguese ex Chealsea manager (football)).

As to spanish names pronounciation will vary depending on where in spain or spanish-speaking america they are from - I think there are about 3 to 4 different pronounciation for the letter "J".

Junor = Jupiter... what a name!

Current Chelsea manager...

Sorry to appear stupid but what is YAGP?

I always had trouble with Zakharova until I had a Russian lady sitting next to me one day - she told me it is pronounced Za -harova with the "harova" bit like you say the "har" in Sahara Desert a soft sound not hard.

Now Osipova anyone? I always say it "Ossy-pova" but some seem to say it "Oh-seep-ova" or Oh-see-pova.

The general rule for Russian names is that the emphasis goes on the third syllable from the end so it would be O seep ov a.  Some people Westernise the pronunciation of their names though.

And some people Westernise the pronunciation of other people's names, too.  When was the last time you heard someone pronounce Martina Navratilova or Maria Sharapova? 

BBB, is it always 3rd syllable from the end?  I've always just based it on -ova being the feminine ending (Navratilova's brother is called Navratil, I seem to remember, and Helena Sukova's brother is Suk.  Sorry to bring tennis into it again, but that's my second most major source of female "Russian" names)

May I clarify something about Russian pronunciation.

Glurd JID zer, but a Russian friend has just emailed and said zer is wrong, but the ze isn't easy for English speakers which is why I said roughly zer.

MAB is right to correct herself, the correct pronunciation is: Gloord-jid-ze, with the stressed 'i'.

No silent 't', spannerandpony.

The stress is on the first syllable, so it is pronounced as Oooooossipova. (Phonetical symbol o:)

I think the Russian dze is pronounced a bit like a French "j" so sort of "jay" but with a french "j" but not quite its quite a hard sound to produce as we haven't the exact equivalent......but the sound is quite forward in the mouth.....but it's a soft Z as in Zhivago.( Dr. Zhivago)

In the names Zhivago, Ryzhkina, etc. 'zh' sounds close to French 'j' or like in 'pleasure'.

The general rule for Russian names is that the emphasis goes on the third syllable from the end so it would be O seep ov a.  Some people Westernise the pronunciation of their names though.

Sorry, bangorballetboy, there is no rule for emphasis/stress in Russian words. Alas, one has to remember how  every word is pronounced. Compare: Marianna Ryzhkina (stress on the first syllable) but Xenia Ryzhkova (stress on the second syllable - o:); MakArova - KunakOva; KrysAnova - StebletsOva, etc.

Sorry for this long exposition. Edited for typo.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 2