Easter/Summer schools alone

Lilac

Last year I managed to encourage my Year 10 DD to attend an Easter school at central ballet! and a Summer school at London Centre for 3 days. As far as I knew all went well? I have just begun to broach such activities for thiis year, to have her hit the roof! She belongs to a very small dance school, so I feel she really needs the broadening experiences that these offers. She tells me that these are attended by groups of friends, and because she doesn't have anyone to go with, ends up doing everything on her own. Obviously I don't want her to be unhappy, but also feel very strongly about her limiting her horizons, when she wants to pursue dance. Ended up with her storming off, and me feeling awful. Any suggestions? (I think she must be referring to the LSC course, as she attends central associates, so I knew some others at that.)

Hi Lilac - why don't you look at residential programmes where all the children are together for after class activities. I can particularly recommend Elmhurst summer school and I believe that Tring also offers a residential programme. It is possible to put forward a rooming preference but she will be paired with another DD and hopefully make friends quite easily.

Just a thought but does your DD want to dance full-time? Perhaps it might be worth being guided by her - teenagers can be very sensitive especially when they feel like they don't fit in so if she really doesn't want to do them I'd suggest saving the pennies. If she's doing associates etc that will help with 'broadening her horizons' and exposing her to other teachers, students etc and if she really wants to dance then chances are that in the future she'll ask or show interest in other courses/programmes.

• Like 2

Perhaps forget about a course at Easter or at least give it a good few weeks before mentioning it again.  I understand what you say about her being at a small school but she does at least do Associates so she gets to mix.  Perhaps a ballet workshop or a drop in class if you are in London would be a compromise - a day out with some ballet thrown in.  I'm not dismissing her comments about groups of friends and being on her own as I know it happens and my DD always went alone, but if she seemed happy last year whilst there, it may be just that she is not in the right mindset to think about it right now.  The GCSE years are stressful and busy and anything could have triggered her reaction - straw that broke the camel's back type thing.  Another week and she might have changed her mind.  But certainly I would not push it for Easter if you wish her to do a summer school.

• Like 1