Press Release: The Royal Ballet Spring Season 2014

BALLET & DANCE  JANUARY – MAY 2014

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY

MARIUS PETIPA

Conductor: Valeriy Ovsyanikov

22 February 1.30pm and 7pm / 26, 27 February at 7.30pm / 13**, 22 March at 1.30pm and 7.30pm / 15 March at 12.30pm / 19**, 21**, 25, 27, 28, 31 March at 7.30pm / 1, 5, 8, 9 April at 7.30pm

** Live cinema relay

……On 21 March, the Amphitheatre is only available to members of the Student   Standby Scheme

Production sponsored by Coutts

Generously supported in memory of Ellen Burkhardt with the additional philanthropic support from The Royal Opera House Endowment Fund

Original production (2006) made possible by The Linbury Trust

The Sleeping Beauty has been performed at many key moments in The Royal Ballet’s history. To coincide with the Company’s 75th Anniversary in the 2005/06 Season, Monica Mason and Christopher Newton created a new production, based on the Sergeyev / De Valois / Messel production which was first performed by the Company in 1946.  Peter Farmer recreated and augmented Oliver Messel’s designs and Christopher Wheeldon choreographed a new ‘Garland Dance’ for this production.

In this classic ballet, Princess Aurora is cursed at her christening by the evil fairy Carabosse and is fated to die after pricking her finger on a spindle at her 16th birthday celebration.  Through the intervention of the Lilac Fairy, the curse of death is changed to a long sleep, one from which Princess Aurora is awakened by the heroic Prince Florimund.  The wedding celebrations in Act III include many divertissements for well-known fairy tale characters, such as Little Red Riding Hood and Puss in Boots.

Choreography                                                 Marius Petipa

Additional Choreography                               Frederick Ashton, Anthony Dowell, Christopher Wheeldon

Music                                                               Pyotr Il’yich Tchaikovsky

Conductor                                                       Valeriy Ovsyanikov

Production                                                      Monica Mason and Christopher Newton after Ninette de Valois and Nicholas Sergeyev

Designs                                                            Oliver Messel

Additional designs                                           Peter Farmer

Lighting design                                               Mark Jonathan

Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

CASTING

22 (mat) / 27 Feb / 15 (mat) March                Cuthbertson, Pennefather

22 (eve) Feb / 13 (eve) / 19 March                 Lamb, McRae

26 Feb / 13 (mat) March                               Choe*, Hirano*

21 / 31 March                                                Kobayashi, Bonelli

22 (mat) / 28 March / 1 April                           Nuñez, Soares

22 (eve) March / 8 April                                  Marquez, Kish

25 March                                                      Takada*, Trzensimiech*

27 March / 5 /9 April                                     Osipova*, Golding*

* Role debut

THE WINTER’S TALE

CHRISTOPHER WHEELDON

Conductor: David Briskin

10, 12, 15, 16, 23, 28**, 29 April at 7.30pm / 22, 26 April at 12 noon / 1, 8 May at 7.30pm

** Live cinema relay

Generous philanthropic support from The Monument Trust, Lady Ashcroft, Mrs Susan A Olde OBE, the Metherell Family, Celia Blakey, Richard and Delia Baker, Kenneth and Susan Green, David Hancock, Randa Khoury, Lindsay and Sarah Tomlinson, Sir Roger and Lady Carr and The Winter’s Tale Production Syndicate

Following his hugely popular Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, and a series of  one act ballets including, Tryst and  Aeternum. Christopher Wheeldon (Royal Ballet Artistic Associate) creates his latest  full-length work  for the company. He draws on another much-loved work of English literature: The Winter’s Tale, Shakespeare’s late, great romance.

The story follows the destruction of a marriage through consuming jealousy, the abandonment of a child and a seemingly hopeless love. Yet, through remorse and regret – and after a statue comes miraculously to life – the ending is one of forgiveness and reconciliation. Wheeldon continues his highly successful collaboration with the team behind Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.

Choreography                                                 Christopher Wheeldon

Music                                                              Joby Talbot

Conductor                                                       David Briskin

Designs                                                            Bob Crowley

Lighting design                                               Natasha Katz

Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

CASTING

tbc

INSIGHTs: tHE WINTER’S TALE

11 March at 7.30pm

Linbury Studio Theatre

Tickets £17 / £7 students

‌‌LINBURY STUDIO THEATRE

LONDON INTERNATIONAL MIME FESTIVAL

9 – 11 January / 31 January – 1 February

The annual festival returns to the Linbury Studio Theatre with innovative and spectacular performances from Compagnie MPTA / Mathurin Bolze and Gecko Theatre.

COMPAGNIE MPTA /

MATHURIN BOLZE – A BAS BRUIT

10 January 7.45pm / 11 January 6pm

Mathurin Bolze’s A Bas Bruit transports us to a world of bizarre imagery and extraordinary movement where it’s the journey not the destination that’s important. Dance, video and circus come together in a rebellion against the established order of things, and autobiography blends into fairytale.

GECKO – MISSING

31 January 7.45 pm / 1 February 3pm and 7.45pm

Amit Lahav’s physical dance-theatre company Gecko had a sold out hit with Missing at the 2013 Edinburgh Fringe. A thrillingly staged exploration of the human psyche, an astonishing piece of visual storytelling - Lily is on a collision course with her past. Her future depends on how much she is willing to remember.

LINBURY STUDIO THEATRE

BALLET BLACK

Supported by the Royal Opera House

25, 26, 27, 28 February at 8pm; 1, 3, 4 March at 8pm

A mixed programme of new work from Ballet Black, including pieces by Arthur Pita, Christopher Marney and Martin Lawrance.

LINBURY STUDIO THEATRE New Work

HeadSpaceDance

A co commission with The Royal Ballet

16, 17, 22, 23, 24 April at 7.45pm

Christopher Akrill, Charlotte Broom and Clemmie Sveaas return to the Linbury with a new programme of work by contemporary choreographers.

EX NIHILO/ THE HUMAN EDGE

NEW MAYURI BOONHAM

A co commission with The Royal Ballet Studio Programme

29, 30 April at 7.45pm

Mayuri Boonham has been at the forefront of contemporary South Asian dance in the UK for the past decade. She was appointed Royal Ballet Choreographic Affiliate in 2012, and brings her company ATMA Dance to the Linbury Studio Theatre with two world premieres, joining forces with dancers from The Royal Ballet.

Boonham's unique synthesis of ballet with contemporary bharatanatyam, a classical Indian dance form, has won her and her dancers worldwide acclaim. In Ex nihilo and The Human Edge Booham draws on the epic creation myths of sacred Indian texts.

LINBURY STUDIO THEATRE

NORTHERN BALLET

8, 9, May at 7.45pm / 10 May 2pm and 7pm

Northern Ballet present a programme of short works that includes pieces from both exciting home-grown talent and established European masters.

Kenneth Tindall is a premiere dancer with Northern Ballet and presents his second choreographic commission for the company, Luminous Junc•ture.

Hans van Manen's erotic Concertante brings the bill to a close. The warped, bittersweet soundworld of Frank Martin's Petite symphonie concertante is the inspiration for Van Manen's potent work.

THE MEASURES TAKEN

NEW ALEXANDER WHITLEY

A co commission with The Royal Ballet Studio Programme

15, 16 May at 7.45pm

Alexander Whitley was appointed Royal Ballet Choreographic Affiliate in September 2012. He has a long history with the Company, having trained at The Royal Ballet School. He danced with Wayne McGregor | Random Dance and has now forged a career as one of the most exciting young British choreographers of today.

In The Measures Taken Whitley collaborates with software artists Marshmallow Laser Feast, harnessing technology to create mesmerizing interactions of light and dance. Electronic sound artist Rutger Zuydervelt provides an immersive soundscape as Whitley examines the tensions of introducing enlightenment into the dark depths of the human soul.

• Like 1

My 'spies' tell me that "The Winter's Tale"  casts will be headed by Nunez/Soares, Cuthbertson/Bonelli  and  Lamb/McRae.

No info yet on when who dances which performances.

I'm also told that next Friday's General rehearsal cast of "Giselle" will be Morera/Bonelli

Yes, but I wonder why people speculate on casting. It is always going to be a combination of Nunez, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Bonelli, McRae, Watson. Just like you could bet your house on any new McGregor working having Hamilton, Lamb, Cuthbertson, McRae, Underwood, Watson.

Does anyone know anything about Winter's Tale? I mean, about Wheeldon ballet, not the Shakespeare of course.

Any advance peeks, etc? I'm curious.

Nothing at all.

But I am prepared to speculate that as it is called The Winter's Tale, then the costumes are probably unlikely to be vests and pants in dreary colours.   Which is promising.... :)

• Like 1

But we still have no idea - apart from the opening night - which performances are first and second cast, although it now sounds as though it will only be those two casts:

"The first cast includes Lauren Cuthbertson, Edward Watson, Sarah Lamb, Steven McRaeZenaida Yanowsky and Federico Bonelli. Marianela Nuñez and Thiago Soares lead the second cast, but remaining Principal roles are yet to be announced."

But we still have no idea - apart from the opening night - which performances are first and second cast, although it now sounds as though it will only be those two casts:

"The first cast includes Lauren Cuthbertson, Edward Watson, Sarah Lamb, Steven McRaeZenaida Yanowsky and Federico Bonelli. Marianela Nuñez and Thiago Soares lead the second cast, but remaining Principal roles are yet to be announced."

Info here:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-winters-tale-by-christopher-wheeldon

Also, Cuthbertson is cast as Hermione, Lamb as Perdita, Yanowsky as Paulina, Watson as Leontes, McRae as Florizel and Bonelli as Polixenes.

Nunez, Soares and Morera are 2nd cast for Hermione, Leontes and Paulina respectively.

Did this play for my English Lit GCSE and it's not Shakespeare's most interesting, so hopefully Wheeldon can make something out of it.

Well I remember doing "winters tale" for A level years ago but spent my spare time in the library reading Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet!!

A great chance now to see Cuthbertson in a role created around her too(she is first cast?)

Also Janet just seen your Northern Ballet are at the Linbury in May too so will try for a ticket!

I wish the ENB did three seasons in London now instead of two .....to be frank am disappointed that they are doing Coppelia in the summer but will take this to another thread.

• Like 1

The full ENB production of Coppelia in on at the Coliseum this coming July and will tour next season.

ENB's London shows in 2013/14 include:

Nutcracker

Le Corsaire

Lest We Forget (April at the Barbican)

Emerging Dancer (19th May at the Lyceum Theatre)

Choreographics (May)

Coppelia (July)

But what is mention of ENB doing under the RB Spring Season thread????!!!!

Edited by capybara

Also Janet just seen your Northern Ballet are at the Linbury in May too so will try for a ticket!

I wish the ENB did three seasons in London now instead of two .....to be frank am disappointed that they are doing Coppelia in the summer but will take this to another thread.

I do hope you book for NB Lin.  We are there Friday and both performances on Saturday.

Isn't Coppelia "My first Coppelia" by the ENBS students though Lin, rather than the full ENB production?

ENB are doing the full Coppelia later in the year Spanner.  I read about a London week but it looks as though it is touring in the Autumn too:

http://www.ballet.org.uk/whats-on/coppelia/

The full ENB production of Coppelia in on at the Coliseum this coming July and will tour next season.

ENB's London shows in 2013/14 include:

Nutcracker

Le Corsaire

Lest We Forget (April at the Barbican)

Emerging Dancer (19th May at the Lyceum Theatre)

Choreographics (May)

Coppelia (July)

But what is mention of ENB doing under the RB Spring Season thread????!!!!

Cross-fertilisation!

Have just booked The Northern Ballet for the Friday evening at the Linbury.....so now THIS will be my first trip there!

Have also just booked the Winters Tale as I saw the casting was up on the website so have booked a Cuthbertson cast performance and seeing her dance will be a first too as when I was supposed to see her in Alice Beatrice Stix- Brunell danced that day.....who was wonderful in the role but at last will see Lauren (hopefully)

I'm not that keen on the Albert Hall performances and I don't think all the dancers are from ENB anyway and I did forget the Barbican performances but must discuss on the correct thread!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

What a small world, I too have booked to see Northern Ballet on the Friday. Being from Oldham we northerners have to stick together.

It would be jolly nice to meet you too!

I think we are on row F on the Friday evening.  Hopefully you can recognise me from my avatar.