Royal Ballet 2013/14 Period 4 Casting

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Second question: what does it mean?

roughly - the multitudinous connections (and pattern of connections) the nerve cells make in your brain, are unique in any individual; this is the root of your personality, and sense of self. So listening to something, or watching dancers dance, everyone in the room will remember it slightly differently, according to their own personal 'connectome'. Over time, your connectome will develop and change with experiences - and the starting point for the choreography, was this sense of the connectome development. At least, that's how my connectome understood it!

• Like 4

roughly - the multitudinous connections (and pattern of connections) the nerve cells make in your brain, are unique in any individual; this is the root of your personality, and sense of self. So listening to something, or watching dancers dance, everyone in the room will remember it slightly differently, according to their own personal 'connectome'. Over time, your connectome will develop and change with experiences - and the starting point for the choreography, was this sense of the connectome development. At least, that's how my connectome understood it!

Ah, thank you to both: I wasn't sure whether it was some sort of technical/anatomical term or a made-up word he'd coined, hence the question :)

• Like 1

I'd sorta been hoping it was going to be pronounced as connect-to-me, which would have been more 'dancey' to my cloth ears

Funnily enough, having seen it on the website, I confidently announced to my friend that that was exactly what it was called! And even after the Insight evening, we both thought that could almost still apply.  :)

Thanks, Beryl.  Here's the link to the casting:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-concert-by-jerome-robbins

Edited to add that, for each performance, there is one principal role yet to be announced. I've copied and pasted below the current casting as it appears on the ROH website.

·             Saturday 31 May 2014, 7pm |

Wordsworth

Clark

Cuthbertson

Wilkie

Morera

Gartside

TBA

·             Thursday 5 June 2014, 7.30pm 

Wordsworth

Clark

Whitehead

Arestis

Hay

Lamb

TBA

·              Friday 6 June 2014, 7.30pm 

Wordsworth

Clark

Gartside

Cuthbertson

Wilkie

Morera

TBA

·             Tuesday 10 June 2014, 7.30pm 

Wordsworth

Clark

Arestis

Hay

Lamb

Whitehead

TBA

·             Thursday 12 June 2014, 7.30pm 

Wordsworth

Clark

Gartside

Hay

Morera

Hamilton

TBA

·             Friday 13 June 2014, 7.30pm 

Wordsworth

Clark

Cuthbertson

Wilkie

Gartside

Morera

TBA

Edited by Bluebird

Thank you, Bluebird.

Six performances, and they list the 4 roles in a different order for every single one!

Only at the ROH ...

Someone really needs to get their online casting seen to: it just looks amateurish. It's like mixing the conductor in with the dancers. And if they don't know which role is which, surely they can ask?

• Like 1

Isn't it a bit late to be approving the casting?  I would have thought the Robbins estate would have been advised much earlier in the rehearsal process.  After all, if they didn't like someone it's rather short notice to get a substitute up to speed.

Linda

At NYCB Robbins would often work with several sets of possible principal casts at the same time in the development/revival of works and, as I understand it, sometimes would only make decisions as to who would be dancing what on the day - or certainly very late in the proverbial day.  He was credited with giving many young dancers their first significant prominence in the Company.  Indeed, I believe that was the case with Britain's Christopher Wheeldon.  (NYCB Casting is announced much closer to the performance date than, say, is the RB.  The comment above is ONLY by way of historical record and not in any way a reflection on the procedural policy for Robbins' works at the Royal Ballet about which I know nothing whatsoever.) 

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

Steven McRae replaces Federico Bonelli in The Dream on June 10th and 13th, this repeats what happened before when he ended up dancing nearly all the performances, he's really good though :)

Poor Federico: he must be really disappointed.  I know I am.

Poor Federico: he must be really disappointed.  I know I am.

Steven McRae is terrific. Is it just a touch of sentimentality that makes me wish this could have been used as the opportunity to let Ricardo Cevera dance a role I understand he has requested to do, especially with Laura Morera....

• Like 3