ENB Romeo and Juliet Casting June 2014

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The question of what or who pulls the punters in is an interesting one. I appreciate that Le Corsaire is a relatively unknown ballet, and probably totally unknown to most of the general public, but the performances which I have attended, one in which Alina danced and one in which Tamara danced, were not full. This tells me that even so-called star dancers do not attract people (other than a small group of devoted ballet-goers) to a performance; it is the ballet and, in the case of the RB, its name and high profile and glamorous home. Carlos may be the one exception to this but even some of his shows have had the royal Ballet tag, with references to 'RB dancers' in the promotional literature.

• Like 1

I agree that Carlos is the biggest name of them all, and the only one likely to be known to first-time or very occasional ballet goers.  However, I suspect there is an intermediate category of those taking an intermittent interest who will know Tamara and Alina's names, from Sunday supplement articles if nowhere else.  And of course, Daria and Vadim had their profile raised by the documentary series. 

You only need to look at the RB's R&J performances at the O2 to see which ones were the draw to the general public - and sadly I doubt they were going for Tamara's Juliet (which they should have been, of course).

• Like 1

I just think it is deeply disrespectful of Tamara not to announce the casting for the other principal dancers. They all have their followers who would love to see them perform.

As mentioned by others I very much hope to see Elena perform Juliet (I heard Derek Dean himself is pushing for her to be put on) or for example Zdenek Konvalina, who I always enjoy watching for his thoughtful interpretations of the roles and emotional performances (he had been sidelined a lot lately too!). Not to mention other wonderful dancer who she makes feeling completely unimportant to the company! 

As for using star power to attract audience, she should start promoting names of all her principal dancers, which would create awareness in the public not familiar with ballet, and would start attracting audience to ALL the shows.  Just using already established in ballet world names, attracts only regular ballet goers, the number of which unfortunately is far too small to fill up the theatres for so many shows. 

• Like 3

Valentino, I'm not sure that it is fair to say that Konvalina has been sidelined lately, as he was injured for much of last season and is dancing both Conrad and Ali in Le Corsaire. I expect that Tamara was very disappointed that he couldn't dance in Wayfarer given the critically acclaimed performances which he gave with NBOC. I agree that the rest of the casting for R&J should be announced asap. Perhaps there are still negotiations going on with Derek Deane. I think that it will be a great insult to Elena if she is not cast as Juliet having not been cast in either Swan Lake or Corsaire. I'm hoping for a debut from Laurretta or Ksenia.

• Like 1

To be fair, it is difficult to know if a dancer is injured or out of favour, but in Glurdjidze's case it certainly seems to be the latter as she was sublime in Nutcracker and is dancing in Men in Motion at the end of this month.  Although it is against the rules to write about rumours here, I have to say that what I am hearing from many reliable sources about Elena's status within the company is deeply disquieting, and I am literally praying the worse case scenario doesn't come about.

I draw some comfort from the fact that Derek Deane at least recognizes her abundant talent.

• Like 2

I just think it is deeply disrespectful of Tamara not to announce the casting for the other principal dancers. They all have their followers who would love to see them perform.

Valentino, the press release posted by Janet at No. 15 clearly states "Further casting will be announced shortly." so for whatever reason I'd guess it hasn't been finalised yet, rather than that it won't be announced.  Perhaps they're waiting until the Corsaire run is over, or until the dancers get back from their holidays, or something.  It seems to me that it's actually very rare to have any RAH casting posted this far ahead, and I'd guess that that's only because Carlos Acosta has to commit so far in advance, so perhaps we've actually been spoiled this time around.

It seems to me that it's actually very rare to have any RAH casting posted this far ahead, and I'd guess that that's only because Carlos Acosta has to commit so far in advance, so perhaps we've actually been spoiled this time around.

Actually, Alison, the 4 performances to be danced by Tamara and Carlos were announced many months ago whereas the dates for two further casts came out a week or so ago and who will dance the 5 remaining shows is still to be divulged.

As far as I am concerned, the earlier ENB announces the casting, the happier I am - especially at the RAH as it is always difficult to get good seats nearer the date.

I seem to recollect that one of the dancers indicated on Twitter that Konvalina had gone to Bejart Ballet with the other men to rehearse/ for coaching for SOAW.

I hope that Elena is not going to be leaving ENB in the near future. Are changes afoot? I wonder. Esteban, Zhanat and Daniel Jones, all soloists, will all have left ENB in a six month period. I've no information but my feeling is that Daria will retire this year, probably after R&J.

Alison, I do agree and as audience I appreciate hearing any bits of casting so early on. It just makes me feel that for Tamara the other dancers are not as important for the company, which I disagree with...

As for SOAW, as far as I know he was originally given one Saturday matinee performance, but then not given any rehearsals and taken out with no explanation.

• Like 1

Full casting:

Wed 11 June [Evening] Tamara Rojo Carlos Acosta

Thu 12 June [Evening] Alina Cojocaru Friedemann Vogel

Fri 13 June [Evening] Tamara Rojo Carlos Acosta

Sat 14 June [Matinee] Daria Klimentova Vadim Muntagirov

Sat 14 June [Evening] Alina Cojocaru Friedemann Vogel

Sun 15 June [Matinee] Tamara Rojo Carlos Acosta

Tue 17 June [Evening] Tamara Rojo Carlos Acosta

Wed 18 June [Evening] Fernanda Oliveira Zdenek Konvalina

Thu 19 June [Matinee] Elena Glurdjidze Arionel Vargas

Thu 19 June [Evening Daria Klimentova Vadim Muntagirov

Fri 20 June [Evening] Begoña Cao Junor Souza

Sat 21 June [Matinee] Erina Takahashi Arionel Vargas

Sat 21 June [Evening] Fernanda Oliveira Zdenek Konvalina

Sun 22 June [Matinee] Daria Klimentova Vadim Muntagirov

Quite shocked that there's 3 Juliets only getting one performance and 1 Romeo only getting one performance. I feel performances could have been shared out better. I will probably book for one of the Daria/ Vadim performances.

• Like 1

Naomi, you may be right that we shouldn't speculate, but it is a logical conclusion given Daria's tweet about Nutcracker, the ballerinas' ages (sorry if that's indelicate) and ENB's repertoire and touring commitments which make it unlikely that R&J will be performed again for another four or five years.

I've always wanted to see Elena dance with ENB having seen her at other events but she isn't regularly cast much anymore it seems and the dates she does get are always when I can't go. Sadly I'll be at a conference on her Juliet date but I have booked to see Daria and Vadim on the 22nd.

I've never seen ENB's in the round production of R&J so I'm looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Is there any source of those dancers leaving ENB? if there isn't, I don't think it is appropriate to mention about it here. Or I just have not realized about some official information of that...

I agree, Naomi. In Daria's case, yes, she has tweeted but of course tweets can sometimes be misinterpreted. In Elena's case, I don't believe there has been any official announcement about whether she is leaving (I sincerely hope she isn't). So speculation based on rumour is not appropriate.

• Like 2

I agree, Naomi. In Daria's case, yes, she has tweeted but of course tweets can sometimes be misinterpreted. In Elena's case, I don't believe there has been any official announcement about whether she is leaving (I sincerely hope she isn't). So speculation based on rumour is not appropriate.

I agree with you, spannerandopony.

Daria might've indicated The Nutcracker as the her last one, but that's it.

We should not jump into conclusion and define one's speculation as a fact.

Edited by yumiko
  • Like 2

I noticed that too! We will see how it all progresses. I booked on the basis of the original three for Daria and Vadim but of course that isn't happening now.

I think the RAH posted when they weren't supposed to and casting isn't entirely finalised so the full casting I posted should be taken with a pinch of salt - especially given that there will most likely be some shuffling now we know Vadim isn't performing.

Daria Klimentova has confirmed to me, a few minutes ago, that she and Vadim are definitely dancing together in Manchester, and in other performances between now and June.  Most importantly, they WILL be dancing ALL of their planned R&Js together at the Albert Hall in June.

• Like 9

Good news indeed and I await the official announcement from ENB with interest.

Vanessa Thorpe's article in the Observer is yet another example of shoddy journalism. She speaks as if ENB is based at the Coliseum (which it isn't) and quotes Kevin O'Hare as saying that Vadim Muntagirov was at White Lodge from the age of 11 (which he wasn't). But, for once, it wasn't a Telegraph writer who got things wrong!!!!

• Like 1

This is all very confusing .... and - dare I say it - annoying .... One wonders where the Ministry of Misinformation is actually lodged on this occasion ...

The official statement - the only one made by ENB as far as I am aware - and as quoted in the forum on this board which first noted Muntagirov's move to the Royal Ballet clearly suggested - indeed states - that he WON'T be dancing in Romeo and Juliet with ENB (from whom he has 'resigned') at the Royal Albert Hall ..

Vadim Muntagirov has resigned from English National Ballet to accept a contract at The Royal Ballet. He will be leaving English National Ballet at the end of February and will not now perform in the new works by Russell Maliphant, Akram Khan and Liam Scarlett at the Barbican, nor Romeo & Juliet in-the-round at the Royal Albert Hall as previously announced.

Could that be ANY clearer?  I don't think so.  One (well, me at any rate) REALLY wonders WHO now to believe ... ??????!!!

It is I fear, as per The King and I, 'a puzzlement'.  I sit here whistling to myself: 'Shall HE dance .... dum, dum, dum' .... to little (certain) avail just now.  

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

and in the 6th paragraph Vanessa Thorpe makes yet another mistake:  ..."He (Kevin O'Hare) sees increased interest in the to-ings and fro-ings between the two opera houses as a healthy sign of the popularity of ballet in Britain" 

Does Vanessa Thorpe not know London has only 1 Opera House?

Really!  Speaking of a cultured, well-informed journalist....  ;)  

and no Vadim Muntagirov did not go to White Lodge, he joined the RBS at Upper School level.

Shoddy journalism (again) full of mistakes!

Edited by Nina G.