Cost of summer schools

Picturesinthefirelight

Thanks for reply re: summer schools for 10 years old. I did contact Hammond with some question about their school but didn't receive a reply other then I'm now on their emailing list. So I'm sure someone on thd forum can let me know what kind of SS Hammond is. Are the lessons more in jazz / musical theatre or classical ballet? Is it taking place usually at the end of July or later in August? Do they accept whoever apply first or do we send photos. And how much did it cost last year? Thanks for help! There is no info on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

Opes is very good yes the teachers are fab and the venue is lovely, however I did think it was quite expensive and the classes weren't very challenging (I was in the middle group- the older group did lots of pas de deux and pointework which we didn't do but I think the older group were all from vocational upper schools). The houseparents and teachers were very kind and caring, and the classes were fun :) if anyone wants anymore info on Opes please feel free to pm me! Xx

Yorkshire SS had two weeks last year Lemon girl.

Last year the two weeks started from 20th July so students could do either one of the weeks or do both

My friends DD did the first week. It seems quite hard to get in and all the dancers there even the younger ones seemed advanced for their age.....to me anyway......so the general overall standard was very high. But a great SS.

Hi all, a couple of summer schools i know about are Midland Theatre Ballet (dates yet to be finalised, but keep checking their website) www.midlandtheatreballet.co.uk my DD attended this last year and is absolutely attending again this year.  They not only do full classes, rep, pas de deux work for the older children, and craft classes for the younger children too, culminating in a performance at the end of the week.  Non-residential but hotels are nearby, very reasonable cost too for a summer school.

Another one I know about and my DD is attending is www.opesballet.co.uk  This is a residential course, you can choose either one week or two weeks, Opes international summer Course is a chance for young dancers to work alongside ex professional dancers from some of the world's major ballet companies. The main genre's will be classical ballet, body conditioning, pilates, contemporary, repertoire and pas de deux. The course offers the choice of residential or day classes. It is an opportunity for none vocational pupils to experience what full time training involves. The venue is set in its own grounds with a performing arts centre.

Hope this helps!

:)

• Like 2

I'm thinking of recommending the Opes one as a possible for friends DD in Oz for next year(2015) as I remember reading some very good things about this last year.

Is it aimed at all age students and all levels of ability? She will be 15 by then and probably just taken or about to take Advanced level 2 RAD which she has just started studying for.

Just chat with husband and see if can let DD try out the summer intensive.  His reaction was simply: she is not going to be a professional dancer, why need to invest on it.

I'm disappointed.

And DD heard it.  Disappointed too.

:( :( :(

We had a bit of that in our house too kkmom.  My dd did JAs and NYB a couple of times, and I would have loved her to be able to have gone for more things, but once it became apparent that she wasn't going to dance professionally hubby reacted in the same way.  In hindsight, he was probably right - she wanted to be a vet, and the money was better spent on helping her to get to work experience etc (plus the time involved), but it was disappointing at the time.  She'd have loved to do the odd summer school or NYB again.  We did have her older brother at vocational school though and money was really tight :(

• Like 1

Just to say that the YDA Summer School dates are:

July - 21st - 25th age 8-12 and 28th July - 1st August age 13-16.

They are also auditioning for Full Time training on 12th February and their Associate programme on 9th February.

Can you provide a link to the SS on the YDA website.  I'm probably being dim but I can't seem to find any info at all.

Sorry, not sure which thread is a right one to post this Question about YBSS scholarships.

Sorry for posting twice.

Does anyone remember how many scholarships are awarded to the youngest children, the 9-13 years old group? Is it more like 60-80 DC auditioning for 2 scholarships or more like 20-30 children auditioning for 8 scholarships? Just wonder what the odds are, not sure if it's worth a costly visit to London to audition.

Edited by Happymum